Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2007, 10:48 AM
 
12 posts, read 61,653 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Both of my kids would like to try their hand at commercials / modeling. I have lots of contacts were I live (on the east coast) but no one seems to know a reputable company in Las Vegas. (We are moving there soon)

They are 12 and 13 and I want to make sure I find a solid agent who has a great reputation.

Anyone know of any who work with kids?

Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
 
4 posts, read 19,054 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatonv View Post
Both of my kids would like to try their hand at commercials / modeling. I have lots of contacts were I live (on the east coast) but no one seems to know a reputable company in Las Vegas. (We are moving there soon)

They are 12 and 13 and I want to make sure I find a solid agent who has a great reputation.

Anyone know of any who work with kids?

Thank you for your time




I am looking for the same... a lot of scammers here... LA not too far of a drive for some real agent representation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
 
845 posts, read 2,327,440 times
Reputation: 298
one word: "PAYTOPERFORM"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 PM
 
1 posts, read 7,147 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatonv View Post
Both of my kids would like to try their hand at commercials / modeling. I have lots of contacts were I live (on the east coast) but no one seems to know a reputable company in Las Vegas. (We are moving there soon)

They are 12 and 13 and I want to make sure I find a solid agent who has a great reputation.

Anyone know of any who work with kids?

Thank you for your time

Do not use Breaking Into Hollywood, you audition, you see if you get into the classes, and then they want you to pay a lot of money over $1300. And plus, you aren't 100% sure if you get an agent or make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 PM
 
2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Reputation: 4578
Ok, let's see the real facts..

Just because your kids "want to try their hand" at modeling or commercials, doesn't mean they ever will. Agents (talent agents/scouts/etc) Look for people to do this.. And they DO NOT frequent talent schools/groups, "agencies" that tell you they are going to make you a star, etc...

They find talent at auditions, race tracks, ball parks, shopping malls, etc.. In other words where everyday life goes on....

And if you already have contacts no matter where they are they should be able to steer you in the right direction no matter where you live... Unless they are not truly great at their job...

Why do you think there are sooooo many out of work actors/actresses????? Cause they truly do not have the talent....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Giethoorn, Netherlands
629 posts, read 1,175,280 times
Reputation: 745
As a 6-year member of the Screen Actors Guild, the only local agencies I would trust are those franchised by the SAG-AFTRA union. Even though they offer opportunities for non-union performers, they must adhere to strict fair business practice rules to maintain their franchise status.

That said, there is a reason why everyone goes to L.A. and New York for this. L.A. probably has 85% of the work in this field, 10% in New York, and the last 5% scattered across the U.S. and Canada.

If your children are just interested in being a "face" (no acting), you can (barely) make a living (in Los Angeles) through background work in commercials ($330/8 hrs) and hope that you get "upgraded" (featured prominently in the final cut of the commercial) which can earn you upwards of $20,000 for that same single day of work. Modeling is a completely different industry, for which 80% of the work is in New York.

If they are interested in actually acting in speaking roles, then the best thing to do is...act. Take workshops at your local college, drive to L.A. and take a weekend course at an extension school, create a YouTube series that you write/produce and act in it, audition for student film projects (USC, UCLA, CSUN, UNLV(!) etc.).

Agents will not usually take people without some kind of experience. They don't want you to make them look bad when they send you on auditions. Mostly what having a decent resume proves is that you know how to audition, how to take direction, and that you're reliable/professional/punctual, which (amazingly) is the most difficult thing to find in this industry.

Yes, agencies sometimes charge a registration fee, but they are never hundreds (or thousands!) of dollars. It's usually about 40-50.

Here is the list of SAG-AFTRA franchised agents and background services:

Agents:

Baskow & Associates
2948 E. Russell Road
Las Vegas, NV 89120
(702) 733-7818

Best Agency
5565 South Decatur Boulevard, Suite 106
Las Vegas, NV 89118
(702) 889-2900

Envy Model & Talent Agency
2121 Industrial Road, Loft 211
Las Vegas, NV 89102
(702) 878-7368

Lenz Agency
1591 East Desert Inn Road
Las Vegas, NV 89109
(702) 733-6888


Background casting services which offer union and non-union opportunities:

David Anthony Casting
(702) 266-5500
david@davidanthonycasting.com
Welcome to David Anthony Casting

Goldman & Associates
701 N. Green Valley Parkway, Suite #200
Henderson, NV 89074
(702) 232-4300
(702) 837-3418 – fax
julie@gacasting.com
Goldman & Associates - Las Vegas Casting Agency

Lear Enterprises, LLC
41 N. Mojave Road
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 438-9111

VIP Casting
7812 Hidden Gazebo St.
Las Vegas, NV 89131
e-mail: VIPCasting@cox.net
phone: (702) 349-0301
owner: Phil Valentine

Wild Streak Talent
3355 W. Spring Mtn. Rd., #264
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 252-8382
(702) 252-8436 – fax
jorina@wildstreaktalent.com
indexb

The best online resource is not really an agency at all, but a "job board" of opportunities that most of the reputable agencies use to post work when they can't find the people they need through their usual methods:
Casting Networks Inc. - Home

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Reputation: 5520
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
As a 6-year member of the Screen Actors Guild, the only local agencies I would trust are those franchised by the SAG-AFTRA union. Even though they offer opportunities for non-union performers, they must adhere to strict fair business practice rules to maintain their franchise status.

That said, there is a reason why everyone goes to L.A. and New York for this. L.A. probably has 85% of the work in this field, 10% in New York, and the last 5% scattered across the U.S. and Canada.

If your children are just interested in being a "face" (no acting), you can (barely) make a living (in Los Angeles) through background work in commercials ($330/8 hrs) and hope that you get "upgraded" (featured prominently in the final cut of the commercial) which can earn you upwards of $20,000 for that same single day of work. Modeling is a completely different industry, for which 80% of the work is in New York.

If they are interested in actually acting in speaking roles, then the best thing to do is...act. Take workshops at your local college, drive to L.A. and take a weekend course at an extension school, create a YouTube series that you write/produce and act in it, audition for student film projects (USC, UCLA, CSUN, UNLV(!) etc.).

Agents will not usually take people without some kind of experience. They don't want you to make them look bad when they send you on auditions. Mostly what having a decent resume proves is that you know how to audition, how to take direction, and that you're reliable/professional/punctual, which (amazingly) is the most difficult thing to find in this industry.

Yes, agencies sometimes charge a registration fee, but they are never hundreds (or thousands!) of dollars. It's usually about 40-50.

Here is the list of SAG-AFTRA franchised agents and background services:

Agents:

Baskow & Associates
2948 E. Russell Road
Las Vegas, NV 89120
(702) 733-7818

Best Agency
5565 South Decatur Boulevard, Suite 106
Las Vegas, NV 89118
(702) 889-2900

Envy Model & Talent Agency
2121 Industrial Road, Loft 211
Las Vegas, NV 89102
(702) 878-7368

Lenz Agency
1591 East Desert Inn Road
Las Vegas, NV 89109
(702) 733-6888


Background casting services which offer union and non-union opportunities:

David Anthony Casting
(702) 266-5500
david@davidanthonycasting.com
Welcome to David Anthony Casting

Goldman & Associates
701 N. Green Valley Parkway, Suite #200
Henderson, NV 89074
(702) 232-4300
(702) 837-3418 – fax
julie@gacasting.com
Goldman & Associates - Las Vegas Casting Agency

Lear Enterprises, LLC
41 N. Mojave Road
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 438-9111

VIP Casting
7812 Hidden Gazebo St.
Las Vegas, NV 89131
e-mail: VIPCasting@cox.net
phone: (702) 349-0301
owner: Phil Valentine

Wild Streak Talent
3355 W. Spring Mtn. Rd., #264
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 252-8382
(702) 252-8436 – fax
jorina@wildstreaktalent.com
indexb

The best on-line resource is not really an agency at all, but a "job board" of opportunities that most of the reputable agencies use to post work when they can't find the people they need through their usual methods:
Casting Networks Inc. - Home

Good luck!
From the horse's mouth....Best professional advice on this question I've seen. If you don't mind topaz420, I'd like to save this for future use since that question comes up a lot, even from personal friends. Is that OK? Would you also recommend a subscription to Variety.com? I see the final print version was put out in March. Sorry it's gone. Now you'll see actors in coffee shops reading their iPads and Smart Phones. Can't hide behind those.

I was acquainted with Bernie Lenz from my TV days, and glad the agency survives after her death. Been here forever. Good people.

To the OP, I'm sure you realize that you can't get anywhere in that business being a dilettante, as you can tell from topaz420's post. So get the kids into some professional training, but please don't be a stage door mom. I just saw a video of a guy I know that had his own TV show in LA at 12 years old, and is still singing in his 70s. But he hated his mother for forcing him to go into the entertainment business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Giethoorn, Netherlands
629 posts, read 1,175,280 times
Reputation: 745
Sure, feel free to use the post.

Variety & Hollywood Reporter are good industry newspapers for keeping up-to-date on general news, but people don't really score jobs from there.

Addendum:
Forgot to mention that the pay rates I quoted were for union work.

Non-union background in movies/TV I think is about $70 for 8hrs / $150 for union
Non-union background for commercials is about $110/8hrs vs $330 for union
Union pay is usually double for Saturday/Sunday shoots

Best way to qualify for joining the union:
Get as much non-union background work as you can and one day, either union workers won't show up (rare), or they'll need a specific look/function that you happen to fill, and you'll be upgraded to a union worker for the day and paid accordingly. Do that 3 times and you qualify to join the union. This method can take years, or it can happen overnight.

The other way is to have your agent send you to audition for principal roles in commercials/TV/film. If you're so good at the audition that they absolutely must have you, they'll "Taft-Hartley" you right into the union just so you can fulfill the role. Also difficult to do because the producer pays a hefty fee to Taft-Hartley a non-union person, so they have to really want you, over and above those who auditioned and are already in the union.

Whew! This is why I keep my membership paid up, even though I haven't yet signed up for work in Vegas. It's such a journey just to get in, that it's nice to have as a last resort if all of my income streams dry up one day. My dad was working in commercials well into his 70s!

Last edited by topaz420; 05-04-2013 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Reputation: 5520
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
Sure, feel free to use the post.

Variety & Hollywood Reporter are good industry newspapers for keeping up-to-date on general news, but people don't really score jobs from there.

Addendum:
Forgot to mention that the pay rates I quoted were for union work.

Non-union background in movies/TV I think is about $70 for 8hrs / $150 for union
Non-union background for commercials is about $110/8hrs vs $330 for union
Union pay is usually double for Saturday/Sunday shoots

Best way to qualify for joining the union:
Get as much non-union background work as you can and one day, either union workers won't show up (rare), or they'll need a specific look/function that you happen to fill, and you'll be upgraded to a union worker for the day and paid accordingly. Do that 3 times and you qualify to join the union. This method can take years, or it can happen overnight.

The other way is to have your agent send you to audition for principal roles in commercials/TV/film. If you're so good at the audition that they absolutely must have you, they'll "Taft-Hartley" you right into the union just so you can fulfill the role. Also difficult to do because the producer pays a hefty fee to Taft-Hartley a non-union person, so they have to really want you, over and above those who auditioned and are already in the union.

Whew! This is why I keep my membership paid up, even though I haven't yet signed up for work in Vegas. It's such a journey just to get in, that it's nice to have as a last resort if all of my income streams dry up one day. My dad was working in commercials well into his 70s!
Just about everyone I know has been a movie extra but me. I was with an ad agency and the owner was always doing extra work. One day he went to try for a walkon as a security guard and they hired him to costar. It was Rock Hudson's last movie about a casino owner.

I thought they listed calls for auditions in Variety???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Giethoorn, Netherlands
629 posts, read 1,175,280 times
Reputation: 745
Yes, they have listings for some open calls (hundreds/thousands of people show up to these) but there's never anything in Variety/THR that any of the casting services listed above wouldn't have, so it's not worth the extra cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top