Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,524 times

Advertisements

If you want to check out deals in the Los Angeles area:

Los Angeles Times - California - Marketplace Ads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
I know someone who brokers new cars for all of Southern Nevada. He is emphatic better deals are all to the east. He believes the best values for Vegas residents are in Grand Junction since you can drive there in a day, albeit a long one. He said even better values on new cars come from east of the Mississippi. As for used cars, he said there isn't enough difference to make it ever worth going to another market. Only reason to go outside of Vegas to buy a used car is for better selection or the occasional person who just wants to get rid of the car and will take a well-below market offer on it.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:14 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,530 times
If we're talking buying new, here's how I do it. I first determine all the particulars in the car I want to buy. Then I get on that manufacturer's website and search up to how far I will drive to buy it. Then I draft an email and send it to all the sales managers of the dealerships in the areas I am willing to drive. From shopping, I already know the very lowest price I have been quoted so I go below that for the price I am willing to pay. I tell them everything I want, say it will be a cash deal and I can pick it up tomorrow.

It's amazing how many replies I get back and the great prices I am quoted.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 PM

557 posts, read 793,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Have any of you had experience buying a new car out of state & shipping it here? I've been told doing so may well be less expensive because of tax & fee issues.

Any thoughts on this?
I purchased a new vehicle from AZ. The dealer collected all sales tax and reg fees and obtained my NV plates for me. I was issued a temp AZ paper plate until the NV plates arrived. Shipping was negotiated and has a value of about 500$ from AZ to LV.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 PM

561 posts, read 681,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well that didn't take long.

Regardless of the context of the question, whenever someone mentions that they want to buy a new car, all the little frugal critters come out of the woodwork screaming Oh noes!! Depreciation!!! Depreciation!!!

Here's a newsflash for you: All new car buyers are aware of the concept of depreciation. This isn't some little known secret that you yourselves are privy to. We're going to buy a new car anyway. Moreover, you can take that depreciation and shove it up your....uh...bank accounts!
OP specifically asked if he could save money on taxes and fees. And the answer to that question is, "Not if you buy new." So a discussion of new vs. used is totally appropriate.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
If you buy new, some states including Nevada and Arizona give you a tax credit on the trade. California does not. Difference from state to state depends on the car... Cheaper cars aren't going to vary that much.

For used, definitely cheaper east of Mississippi .

Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,215 times
Buying a new vehicle out of state and bring it back to Calif and you will not be able to register it. A new vehicle purchased out of state must have a minimum of 7500 miles on it or it can not be registered. It's done to protect Calif dealers from that practice. There are exceptions, such as if you total your vehicle out and have to purchase out of state, or are in the military.
Check your states laws before getting too cute, you may find out you purchased something you can't register...

Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 AM

561 posts, read 681,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Buying a new vehicle out of state and bring it back to Calif and you will not be able to register it. A new vehicle purchased out of state must have a minimum of 7500 miles on it or it can not be registered. It's done to protect Calif dealers from that practice. There are exceptions, such as if you total your vehicle out and have to purchase out of state, or are in the military.
Check your states laws before getting too cute, you may find out you purchased something you can't register...
Not true. California has emissions requirements that are stricter than the rest of America, so almost any new car purchased by a California resident must be manufactured to meet those standards, as attested to by the emissions sticker under the hood. Put more than 7500 miles on it, and it's no longer considered "new." But as long as it's 50-state certified, you can buy it new from anywhere in the country and register it in California.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
Not true. California has emissions requirements that are stricter than the rest of America, so almost any new car purchased by a California resident must be manufactured to meet those standards, as attested to by the emissions sticker under the hood. Put more than 7500 miles on it, and it's no longer considered "new." But as long as it's 50-state certified, you can buy it new from anywhere in the country and register it in California.
Correct. Gotta love California... Wait till the new gas tax there... Watch gas be 5. A gallon

Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 AM

645 posts, read 706,772 times

Thinking about buying a new car out of state and have intercity ship it here, do I pay sales tax at that dealer? or it depends on the state where I got it from? (so far possible dealers are in NH, MI, and NJ)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas