Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:48 PM

21 posts, read 28,512 times

Advertisements

We can live in fear of terrorists, or earthquakes, landslides, wildfires, virus outbreaks, rapists. I don't bother worrying. News channels need something to catch your attention, and they do, with every scary headline.
When it happens to you, or within your community, then you can worry, even though you most likely can't change the outcome, you might want to worry enough to protect yourselves. I refuse to live afraid. I'm in my own La La Land, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 AM

393 posts, read 503,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Let's all stop listening the scaremongering channel (Fox News).
People need to be aware of these threats. Look at some of the other countries that ignored these people. They have or are losing cities to the radical Muslums.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
People need to be aware of these threats. Look at some of the other countries that ignored these people. They have or are losing cities to the radical Muslums.

Those "Muslums" are going to be up in arms no matter what. And the answer isn't our foreign policy. The answer is the domestic policy of the countries they are stuck in. And I do mean "stuck."

Have you noticed that the terrorists are invariably from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Palestine and Yemen? These are among the most repressive regimes in the world. They're right down there with North Korea. You don't see Turkish suicide bombers. Not too many Jordanians hijacking airplanes. Nope, it's always the downtrodden people from the repulsive regimes.

Fearful, threatened, exploited, repressed people cling to their guns and their religion. What happens in Syria and Iraq is a cautionary tale for all the free nations of the world -- unfree people become barbaric. Fundamentalist Islamic terrorism is a political problem masquerading as a religious problem. If they had the kind of freedom (and security) that we enjoy in the US, they wouldn't strap dynamite to their chests and blow up schools.

Something to think about next time our ridiculous Dept. of Homeland Security does their next round of fear mongering. Making Americans less free and more fearful isn't going to solve any problems. It will only create problems.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 AM

104 posts, read 254,911 times
Guess I'll skip Target's for a while and shop online.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM

848 posts, read 647,978 times
I think history has shown Thomas Jefferson was correct when he stated the following during his first inaugural address in 1801: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations-entangling alliances with none."

Old 08-30-2014, 02:01 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Think of those who would love to get even with Las Vegas, for whatever reason, and there's lots of reasons why someone, not even a Muslim, dreams of terrorizing this city. One possibility: someone came to town, had too much to drink, lost his life savings at the baccarat tables.

So surprised it hasn't happened already. Those huge, unchecked suitcases coming into the hotels could hold a lot of explosives.

Now if they really wanted to "kill" lots of people, destroying the Hoover Dam would impact up to 30 million people! That would be a Bulls-Eye!

And all it would take is even a minor explosion on the Strip, in a high-rise hotel, and how many would be scared off from coming here again?

Old 08-30-2014, 02:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
1) One possibility: someone came to town, had too much to drink, lost his life savings at the baccarat tables.

2) So surprised it hasn't happened already. Those huge, unchecked suitcases coming into the hotels could hold a lot of explosives.

3) Now if they really wanted to "kill" lots of people, destroying the Hoover Dam would impact up to 30 million people! That would be a Bulls-Eye!
1) People only strap dynamite to their chest and blow up supermarkets when they think they have no other options. That's why the terrorists come from places like Syria and Yemen. Those countries are brutal, repressive regimes, where you have a lot of young men with no jobs, no money, no girlfriends, no life, no future and no hope. THOSE are the people who blow up schools.

2) After the serious lapse of security that resulted in 9/11, we've become pretty skilled at thwarting the evildoers. We're never going to be perfect. But we're good enough that I am not afraid to fly several times each year.

3) I wouldn't recommend trying to bring the kind of explosives you need to make the dam fail anywhere near the dam, or anywhere near our border. This isn't a Tom Clancy book.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:03 AM

55 posts, read 70,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
You got that so right! The actual story from Fox 5 quoted the magazine {where the article came from} as stating many possible targets around our country in many cities but I guess Las Vegas is the only one that matters most to people.

Al Qaeda magazine hints of looming attack; urges bombing of Vegas, military targets | Fox News
I think they're just not used to Las Vegas being on many of those lists, so they (the media) is trying to make everyone aware. Plus the boogy man gets them good ratings.

Absent a specific or more credible threat, all the hype is worthless, except that they all get to say "see something, say something" again... which they LOVE.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:06 AM

55 posts, read 70,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Now if they really wanted to "kill" lots of people, destroying the Hoover Dam would impact up to 30 million people! That would be a Bulls-Eye!

And all it would take is even a minor explosion on the Strip, in a high-rise hotel, and how many would be scared off from coming here again?
I was told by someone who works at the dam that flying a plane into it would create a very ugly black spot, but would not cause significant damage. He was very sure of that statement. Apparently, all of the 9/11 hijackers are all on video having toured Hoover Dam over a short period of time leading up to 9/11.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:34 AM

848 posts, read 647,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
1) People only strap dynamite to their chest and blow up supermarkets when they think they have no other options. That's why the terrorists come from places like Syria and Yemen. Those countries are brutal, repressive regimes, where you have a lot of young men with no jobs, no money, no girlfriends, no life, no future and no hope. THOSE are the people who blow up schools.

2) After the serious lapse of security that resulted in 9/11, we've become pretty skilled at thwarting the evildoers. We're never going to be perfect. But we're good enough that I am not afraid to fly several times each year.

3) I wouldn't recommend trying to bring the kind of explosives you need to make the dam fail anywhere near the dam, or anywhere near our border. This isn't a Tom Clancy book.
With regard to the first point, I agree with you that desperate people may do things out of desperation. I also would add a few things. Our government imposes economic sanctions which only hurt the people we supposedly are trying to help. I am hard pressed to think of a current situation where economic sanctions are achieving the desired outcome. Our government then compounds the problem by getting involved militarily. By choosing one side over the other, our government creates enemies out of the other side. The situation becomes worse when the military unintentionally wipes out someone's family members and destroy someone's home. When you couple economic despair with the elimination of those things most important to someone, I do not think it is very difficult to understand why people may be driven to do these types of things. For the sake of my children's generation, I wish our government would grasp this sooner rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas