Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM

28 posts, read 32,767 times

Advertisements

Scoop, why do you dislike it so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM

34 posts, read 36,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsterluvslife View Post
I have been to Las Vegas twice, and yes, both times only on the Strip as a tourist. However, I fell in love with it.
I know when I was in your shoes I wasn't as interested as I should have been in dissenting opinions, but here goes. You sound exactly like I did a year and half a go. I wish had a time machine where I could travel back to a year and half ago and tell myself "you will be burned out not even 2 years in!"

For my first year we lived near the strip in a nice apartment that faced the strip, we got watch the High-roller built from the ground up. After that we moved to the Southwest into a great house with granite counters in a quiet neighborhood. You'd think we would be happy as clams, but over time, the reality of the situation has set in. The truth is, outside the strip/downtown/other tourist areas, Las Vegas is painfully vanilla. Most people (keyword "most) I've met here have been walking corpses, as in no ambition, no dreams, just mediocrity. While I know LV is not unique in this sense, I really had the idea that people who live in Vegas must be a little weird/fun/interesting....well that hasn't quite worked out the way I hoped. This is not to say there aren't cool people here, but from my experience, they are few and far between.

Another thing to keep in mind is almost no one loves it here, everyone is either moving or plans to move in the future. When I tell people I'm from Denver they think I am crazy for leaving, when I left Denver, they told me I was crazy to leave...I'm beginning to think they were right. I also knew beforehand that Vegas isn't the best place to move if you like nature, I figured it wasn't a big deal, I'm computer guy, who cares?, and now that I don't have trees/streams/grass, I'm finding that I miss nature way more than I thought. Maybe 1 in 10 people I've encountered has said they love it here and want to live here forever which makes making long term friends far more difficult. With all the said, my wife and I are planning to move to SoCal or back to Denver this coming spring. I still plan to be back 2-3 times a year for my conventions though

Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,982,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsterluvslife View Post
Scoop, why do you dislike it so much?
Las Vegas has amazing shows and concerts. Las Vegas has amazing restaurants (on the low end of the scale and the high end of the scale). Las Vegas has an exceptionally low cost of living.

And everything else about this town sucks. Las Vegas is what happens when you cram 1.8 million people together who only care about the low cost of living.

The schools suck, the culture sucks, people's attitudes suck. We have truly exceptional people who live here. I'm not saying that we don't. But the average resident is either a mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging moron, or a scam-artist. Scam artists and morons. That's the average in Las Vegas. Las Vegas has the lowest signal-to-noise ratio of anyplace I have ever lived. Wait until you have to hire contractors or deal with tenants in this city. Then you'll see this town the way I see this town.

Good-freaking-riddance to Las Vegas when I finally leave.

EDIT -- May as well bash on Las Vegas a little more this morning. Las Vegas "half-asses" everything. Crews tear up the roads to fix something, do it wrong and then tear it up again two months later. Then they screw it up again and tear it up again. Desert Inn has been in a constant state of construction since I moved here. We have a monorail that stops 1/4 mile away from being useful. Las Vegas is at the bottom of every list that people want to be on and the top of every list where we don't. (Except crime. I'm not going to suggest that Las Vegas is an unsafe place. I may be a hater, but I'm no troll.)

The big thing for me is that I've lived in some truly great areas. They're expensive as the dickens. But it's worth it. I'll leave here and move to the Big Sur area or Hawaii or similar and deal with the bills. I value a high quality of life over low expenses.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 09-03-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Las Vegas has amazing shows and concerts. Las Vegas has amazing restaurants (on the low end of the scale and the high end of the scale). Las Vegas has an exceptionally low cost of living.

And everything else about this town sucks. Las Vegas is what happens when you cram 1.8 million people together who only care about the low cost of living.

The schools suck, the culture sucks, people's attitudes suck. We have truly exceptional people who live here. I'm not saying that we don't. But the average resident is either a mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging moron, or a scam-artist. Scam artists and morons. That's the average in Las Vegas. Las Vegas has the lowest signal-to-noise ratio of anyplace I have ever lived. Wait until you have to hire contractors or deal with tenants in this city. Then you'll see this town the way I see this town.

Good-freaking-riddance to Las Vegas when I finally leave.

I hate to be so negative, but I think you are right. Amen to your last line. I'll be back as a tourist for a convention or two, but other than that, I'm out.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:24 AM

Edge,

I completely understand what you're saying, and I appreciate your opinion and feedback. My partner and I are actually pretty laid-back (or vanilla ) ourselves... we are not really "party" people and are pretty content spending most of our time at home together, or going out to dinner, movies, shows, etc. We don't have tons of friends here as it is, so we are pretty used to that. Not that we wouldn't LIKE to make new friends if we move there, of course, who doesn't? Nature is nice... the trees and grass and etc. But I could live without it. After all, the desert landscapes & gorgeous mountain views are part of nature too. Just a different side than I get to see here. I admit, I would miss fall the most; watching the leaves turn colors, etc. But it's just not what's most important to me. I think anytime someone moves, they will get homesick... some get over it, others don't. I think I will get homesick after I move, but I feel it's all a mind-over-matter situation. The ONLY thing holding me here is my family, especially my mom. I would find it EXTREMELY difficult to leave her... which is why I am trying to convince her to move too! LOL!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 AM

Scoop,

I completely understand. I hate people. I really do. That's why my partner & I are more of homebodies and don't particularly care to involve ourselves with lots of other people. There are morons EVERYWHERE, believe me, 'cause there's PLENTY of them here too. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time with idiots, 'cause THAT I can COMPLETELY understand.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Well dude, sometimes you gotta try to know for yourself, I did, so I have no room to talk. I can't say I completely regret it, it was a good learning experience and we had some fun, but I would advise most people to keep going west if they want to live on the pacific coast. I'd say try it yourself before dragging your mom here(my mother absolutely hates Las Vegas). We're also not party type people, we aren't big drinkers, and we aren't big gamblers either. When I say most people here are vanilla, I am not saying they don't party enough. Just to clarify It sounds like you'll do what you want regardless of what anyone tells you, I can't say I blame you because I'm much the same way. You just sounded so similar to me that I figured I might offer you a warning. But hey, prove me wrong, It's happened many times in the past, maybe you'll be happy here. Though I've came to the conclusion that there is no long term potential for us in LV.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,982,619 times
Edge: I disagree with your assessment that there is no nature here. It's here. It just isn't green. The American Southwest is one of the most stunningly beautiful places I have ever been. I can drive an hour in any direction and it's simply gorgeous. Ansel Adams gorgeous.

The problem is Las Vegas.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Edge,

No, no, don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate your advice. I just don't know what to do, and I have heard people say they hate it (like you & Scoop) and other people say they love it! Kinda confusing... LOL. I think I would like California living, except the cost of living there is insane! Not to mention earthquakes! lol My mom has actually been to Las Vegas more times than I have! And she loves it! I don't think I can convince her to move though. But if we do decide to move there (not 100% sure still, which is why I'm asking questions & such), I won't stop trying to convince her to move too!

And hey, if anyone has suggestions of other places to live that have near perfect weather all year round, I am all ears!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Edge: I disagree with your assessment that there is no nature here. It's here. It just isn't green. The American Southwest is one of the most stunningly beautiful places I have ever been. I can drive an hour in any direction and it's simply gorgeous. Ansel Adams gorgeous.

The problem is Las Vegas.
Well what I meant was the lack of green scenery and water(which I knew was in short supply coming here). I do agree there is some natural scenery here that is nice, like the mountains after a rain storm. I also agree you can drive to some pretty places too. However, if you drive the highways or streets around Vegas, there's no grass, mostly rocks/concrete/turf and palm trees. Personally, I find it's much prettier as you get closer to Cali and much uglier as you get further away. So in terms of the American Southwest in general, totally agree, but LV itself is pretty barren in terms of nature.

Last edited by EdgeOfForever; 09-03-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: