Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:19 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times

Advertisements

So far I've seen two incidents where by only from the grace of God two people were not killed. Each time it was people crossing against the lights. What is that makes people just enter an intersection without looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Depends on where it is. On the strip, it's a number of factors - booze, unfamiliarity with the area, distraction, and "pack" mentality. Off strip, I would chalk it up to laziness (if they're not walking down and crossing in a crosswalk and just darting across the street), or entitlement mentality, thinking they have the right to do whatever they want.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
So far I've seen two incidents where by only from the grace of God two people were not killed. Each time it was people crossing against the lights. What is that makes people just enter an intersection without looking?
Sense of entitlement, lack of intelligence and complete ignorance about how inertia works. The average Las Vegas resident, basically. This is something I see every single day when I commute to work. I'm just hoping I don't see someone actually killed. But that's statistically only a matter of time.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
We were on the strip last weekend and I saw the opposite problem near the Venitian. We were walking across with the signal when a gal in a BMW decided to just go, then sat in the middle of the pedestrian walkway honking at everyone. The crowd kept walking forcing her to sit there and look stupid. One guy yelled at her "It's our turn!"

Maybe she is one of the pedestrians who just feels the right to walk against signals too? LOL

Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times
Pedestrian deaths in Nevada (According to Zero Fatalities Nevada). The greatest contributor to the stats is Clark County.

2009 - 36
2010 - 40
2011 - 43
2012 - 59
2013 - 70

In the above five years, 784 pedestrians in Nevada survived being hit but were seriously injured.

Bill

Old 09-04-2014, 10:15 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
Good. Keep the stupid from reproducing.

Car vs human the human always loses. If you don't know that, you are too dumb to live.
I see people, every day, cross the street without looking.
ALWAYS look.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
And I see people run red lights every day. Ridiculous sense of entitlement vs. ridiculous sense of entitlement. Special snowflake running a red light vs. special snowflake pedestrian who thinks traffic rules don't apply. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

With the amount of near misses I see, I'm amazed we only had 70 fatalities last year. I would have thought it would be in the hundreds.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:42 AM

426 posts, read 526,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Good. Keep the stupid from reproducing.
Wow

Statistically, Seattle is supposed to have people who are more "educated," but despite this, folks cross the street when they're not supposed to, all the time. I don't think it's specific to Vegas.

It seems people are a lot less "d-baggy" about it here (e.g. they at least make an *effort* to get out of the way) whereas in Seattle, people will slow down, take their time, rub it in your face, just to spite and annoy.

Both show a form of stupidity, but one I am able to sympathize more towards than the other.

Last edited by CityWok; 09-04-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And I see people run red lights every day. Ridiculous sense of entitlement vs. ridiculous sense of entitlement. Special snowflake running a red light vs. special snowflake pedestrian who thinks traffic rules don't apply. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

With the amount of near misses I see, I'm amazed we only had 70 fatalities last year. I would have thought it would be in the hundreds.
It would be great if there were more round-abouts in town. Or if the light turned yellow again before it turned green. 5 seconds of green light is wasted while people get off the brake/clutch and finally get through the green light so only three cars can legally get through on a given cycle. When youve been sitting at a light for 7 minutes in 100 degree heat I dont blame people for going through that red at the last second. Pedestrians and drivers are both stupid at times, but lets not let the traffic management system go un-criticized.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:22 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
Yeah when I am in my car at a redlight that's just turned green, I look before pulling off. This has saved me more times than I can recall. When I do have to cross the street walking, I always watch the cars. I taught my kids to do the same. No legal right will keep an unobservant driver from plowing into pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas