Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yes, yesterday was total chaos. Most major freeways closed during the AM commute due to flooding. Imagine your car floating away on I-10?

Thanks Hurricane Norbert!
Well, some major freeways had closures (westbound 10, northbound I-17, primarily) but others ran well (mostly on the east side). Nevertheless, it was a very difficult day in many areas of the Valley. I had full standing water front and back yard, no rain gauge, but I'm not far from areas that got 4 plus inches officially. Took me 2 1/2 hours to get to work, but not due to freeway closures.

Glad to see Vegas got its share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Snow was falling above the tree line in mid-August. Doesn't mean anything, it will melt. Start checking snowfall at the end of this month for signs of how good or bad the water season will be.
You ain't seen nothin' yet:
Recent (preliminary) Southern Oscillation Index (SOI) values (Long Paddock)

Old 09-09-2014, 12:11 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Most heavy Vegas precipitation totals are from a southerly component of moisture / thunderstorms. Yesterday was a straight southwest component - from the SW to the NE, so the mountains broke up most of the thunderstorms as it passed over Vegas - but you could see it run past Vegas parallel and over I15, so that video makes sense.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, some major freeways had closures (westbound 10, northbound I-17, primarily) but others ran well (mostly on the east side). Nevertheless, it was a very difficult day in many areas of the Valley. I had full standing water front and back yard, no rain gauge, but I'm not far from areas that got 4 plus inches officially. Took me 2 1/2 hours to get to work, but not due to freeway closures.

Glad to see Vegas got its share.

"Some major freeways had closures" yes. THE major freeways. There were also issues on the 51 as well as many, many surface streets with closures, many main roadways used for commutes. If they are telling people to stay home it is pretty serious.

Just to clarify.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Craziest flood video from yesterday: NSFW (Language) flash flood on i-15 30 miles north of las vegas - YouTube

No reported deaths, but that couldn't have been good for the guy getting into the minivan before it was swept under the bridge.
What an awesome video! That van going over the waterfall!

All that rain should really green up that area, the plants saying: Thank-you!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
You didn't take a picture of the waterfall off the First Creek trailhead!!!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:34 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What an awesome video! That van going over the waterfall!

All that rain should really green up that area, the plants saying: Thank-you!
The ground is so hard that not much of it actually makes it into the soil. Even at my garden, turn a couple shovelfuls of dirt and it's dry.

That rain we had the other day wouldn't even count as a storm back home. But we never had flood problems like that because drainage isn't an issue -- there are places for the water to go. Not so, here.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:17 AM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
You didn't take a picture of the waterfall off the First Creek trailhead!!!
No. I was wearing flip flops and it was getting dark. Had I been in boots I would have explored a lot more.
I took 208 pics. As soon as I get moved into a place and get decent internet I'll upload some more.
Took 45 minutes to upload those and I scaled them way down.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:45 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,916 times
Who should I alert to my scheduled travels?

First week of Sept last year I drove to Denver to visit my mom and part of the trip sent me to Estes Park and Rocky Mtn Natl Park. A week after my return, the very towns and roads I drove on were flooded and wiped out.

First week of Sept this year, I again drive to Denver to visit my mom and sure enough a week after my travels on I-15 roads are wiped out.

I guess the real lesson learned is never drive to visit my mom during the 2nd week of Sept as I might not make it back.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
I forgive you.

That's the best part of First Creek trailhead. The hidden waterfall and creek!! My son loves the hike.

Have you seen any burros in that area? Though, we see tons of sh*t on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
No. I was wearing flip flops and it was getting dark. Had I been in boots I would have explored a lot more.
I took 208 pics. As soon as I get moved into a place and get decent internet I'll upload some more.
Took 45 minutes to upload those and I scaled them way down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas