Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times

Advertisements

I think I will cease to look for a house to buy on a hill facing east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Welcome to Las Vegas!

Seriously, this happens. A teacher was murdered in my neighborhood. Two cops were murdered (execution style) half a mile from my neighborhood. You moved to a place called "Sin City." What did you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
It's not like you're going to escape it elsewhere. Plenty of homicide to go around in Las Vegas.

But we don't even know it's a homicide. Probably an unattended death. It happens. We're mortal.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:20 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Yes this happens fairly frequently...it doesn't often make the news because its not news.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:30 PM

36 posts, read 54,657 times
The movers are here now taking stuff out of the house. So, I guess that's a good sign. I'm just surprised the movers come before the clean up.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:44 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.stanton View Post
A dead body was recently found in the house next door to us. The house has been taped up for a while (I'm assuming it's under investigation).
  • Do we have any right to know what's going on?
  • Shouldn't we be informed if it's something dangerous, like a homicide?
  • The house smells like death and is covered in flies. Is this a health hazard? What can be done?
  • When are they going to clean up? Are they going to put the house back on the market?
This situation has lowered our quality of life. We feel unsafe, sickened by the odor, and creeped out. There are literally hundreds of flies in the windows. I know these things happen, but I can't imagine living this way for several months. I'd like to know what our options are (besides moving).
Any death not natural will be investigated as a homicide until proven otherwise, learned that 25 years ago from homicide detectives in Maryland. The smell (rigor mortis) tells the body has been dead for some time, was the deceased elderly or did you know him/her?

Death happens everywhere, some obviously are not so pleasant and as such professional cleaners will get the house back to normal.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Scoop and friends have of course called off normal nature in Las Vegas. Here if you die the doomers declare it to be a homicide.

We have an old friend who has now gone to hospice care at home. We call every couple of days just to talk to him for a few minutes. He will hopefully die at home though depending the caregivers may have him hauled off to the hospital. No they are not trying to avoid his death...merely to avoid pain if things go the wrong way.

He has hospice help all the time so he will not rot after death. The children will then sell the house after dividing up what they wish. He has already made it clear who gets what and I expect his wishes will be followed.

There is little if any stigma to a house with a death...mostly good vibes if not some violent incident.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
A dead body was recently found in the house next door to us. The house has been taped up for a while (I'm assuming it's under investigation).
  • Do we have any right to know what's going on?
    No
  • Shouldn't we be informed if it's something dangerous, like a homicide?
    No
  • The house smells like death and is covered in flies. Is this a health hazard? What can be done?
    Possible, call the health department in your area and ask them if anything can be done.
  • When are they going to clean up? Are they going to put the house back on the market?
Clean up time frame depends on when the home is released by Law Enforcement and when the Owner wants to have the placed cleaned up.
It is possible they will put the home back on the market after the investigation is completed and it is cleaned up.

This situation has lowered our quality of life. We feel unsafe, sickened by the odor, and creeped out. There are literally hundreds of flies in the windows. I know these things happen, but I can't imagine living this way for several months. I'd like to know what our options are (besides moving).
I'm not sure why you would let this lower your quality of life.
People die all the time, the odor can be dealt with by you if it is gotten inside your home, creeped out by what? A body that is not living? Part of life is death.
Spray your own home inside and surroundings outside with pesticide which will help with the flies in your area at least.
If you have a lease break it and move, otherwise you could put your home on the market for sale but I doubt it would sell easily right now.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
These kind of things only happen in Las Vegas - no where else.

Bill
Patently false.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Death does not happen outside of Las Vegas, haven't you heard?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
The movers are here now taking stuff out of the house. So, I guess that's a good sign. I'm just surprised the movers come before the clean up.
Simply call the police dept. Just tell th you're a neighbor and are conserved and want to know if a crime took place at the residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: