Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,713,784 times

Advertisements

The reason there are so many flies is because the dead body has maggots (fly larvae) and now you have a gazzlion flies....

The presence and development of maggots on a corpse are useful in the estimation of time elapsed since death. Depending on the species and the conditions, maggots may be observed on a body within 24 hours. The eggs are laid directly on the food source and when the eggs hatch, the maggots move towards their preferred conditions and begin to feed. By studying the insects present at a crime scene, forensic entomologists can determine the approximate time of death. Insects are usually useful after a post-mortem interval (PMI) of approximately 25–80 hours, depending on ambient conditions. After this interval, this method becomes less reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,446,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
These kind of things only happen in Las Vegas - no where else.

Bill
It happens quite a bit in Florida because elderly people die and nobody knows about it.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:18 PM

36 posts, read 54,589 times
The people that were renting that house moved and abandoned everything. The person that died there was (presumably) unknown. The body was there approximately 10 days before it was found and was so badly decomposed it couldn't be identified.

Now, that the movers were there, I'm assuming the cased is closed or close to being closed, so we can hopefully get some answers soon.

Apparently, some of you seem more resilient than I am regarding rotting corpses next door

Old 09-25-2014, 07:27 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,803,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The reason there are so many flies is because the dead body has maggots (fly larvae) and now you have a gazzlion flies....

The presence and development of maggots on a corpse are useful in the estimation of time elapsed since death. Depending on the species and the conditions, maggots may be observed on a body within 24 hours. The eggs are laid directly on the food source and when the eggs hatch, the maggots move towards their preferred conditions and begin to feed. By studying the insects present at a crime scene, forensic entomologists can determine the approximate time of death. Insects are usually useful after a post-mortem interval (PMI) of approximately 25–80 hours, depending on ambient conditions. After this interval, this method becomes less reliable.

Why did you copy and paste this Dr Biden? Directly from wikipedia no doubt.

We've all seen CSI.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:29 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,803,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.stanton View Post
The people that were renting that house moved and abandoned everything. The person that died there was (presumably) unknown. The body was there approximately 10 days before it was found and was so badly decomposed it couldn't be identified.

Now, that the movers were there, I'm assuming the cased is closed or close to being closed, so we can hopefully get some answers soon.

Apparently, some of you seem more resilient than I am regarding rotting corpses next door

That's because they aren't living next door to one.

That would tend to creep anyone out.

Really it might have been a suicide.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,902,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.stanton View Post

I would guess most people posting here have not actually smelled a body in advanced state of decay. I'm with you, it's easy to be cavalier when it's not you having to deal with the smell. Hope things get back to normal for you soon.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:09 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,783,347 times
I remember working next to a shopping mall where someone died doing drugs in their car. I think he'd been there for about two days. When the police came and opened that car door....that was the worst smell I'd ever smelled. I had nightmares for a week. I was only 19 at the time but it's something, I'll never forget. Give it time to dissipate, literally.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Patently false.
To the person that gave me the rep.

So was I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: