Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:04 AM

15 posts, read 44,498 times

Advertisements

RN from cali, single parent of teen. Want to start over in a place where it's diverse, friendly, good paying nursing jobs, and some kind of laid back recreation. Can anyone tell me anything? Best neighborhoods, cost of living, and so forth?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 01:12 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
By SinCity I assume you mean Vegas. Just type in the key words into the search above and you will get hundreds of answers good and bad, mostly bad. Good paying? Normally no. But you did say Nursing. There is a nursing shortage here as well as good Doctors. Make sure you search well. Some Hospitals are offering very very large sign on bonuses.

Ask yourself this first: The AMA ranks Nevada dead last in nearly every catagory in health care. Do you really really really want to be associated with that label?

Even our own Governer and Mayor goes to Southern California and Phoenix when they need any medical care beyond a band aid. What does that tell you?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:14 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,720 times
Centennial Hills is a pretty nice part of town to live in. Since you're in nursing you shouldn't have a problem finding a job at the new Centennial Hills Hospital that'll be opening early next year.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Keep in mind that Desert whatever hates it here and we're keeping him captive.....

Come on to LV, we need good nurses here.....

Old 12-28-2007, 02:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Default Considering move from CA to Sin City.... tell me something

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemark View Post
RN from cali, single parent of teen. Want to start over in a place where it's diverse, friendly, good paying nursing jobs, and some kind of laid back recreation. Can anyone tell me anything? Best neighborhoods, cost of living, and so forth?

Thanks
SOMETHING!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
By SinCity I assume you mean Vegas. Just type in the key words into the search above and you will get hundreds of answers good and bad, mostly bad. Good paying? Normally no. But you did say Nursing. There is a nursing shortage here as well as good Doctors. Make sure you search well. Some Hospitals are offering very very large sign on bonuses.

Ask yourself this first: The AMA ranks Nevada dead last in nearly every catagory in health care. Do you really really really want to be associated with that label?

Even our own Governer and Mayor goes to Southern California and Phoenix when they need any medical care beyond a band aid. What does that tell you?
YOu do have this ability to see things that have never existed...here we go again...

"The AMA ranks Nevada dead last in nearly every catagory in health care.'

Cite a source for this bit of absolute untruth. You just make up this garbage as you go along don't you? Sheesh. Anyone who believes the writings of this guy should have their head examined.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:49 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
The valley is a great place to work, for anything medical. You'll find plenty of job opportunities, and the costs of living here are still lower than in CA.

Centennial Hills area is nice; also look at Summerlin and Green Valley.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
YOu do have this ability to see things that have never existed...here we go again...

"The AMA ranks Nevada dead last in nearly every catagory in health care.'

Cite a source for this bit of absolute untruth. You just make up this garbage as you go along don't you? Sheesh. Anyone who believes the writings of this guy should have their head examined.
\
I did cite a source, read the post. Do you know who the AMA is?

Last edited by BobKovacs; 12-30-2007 at 06:36 AM..

Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
\
I did cite a source you idiot, read the post. Do you know who the AMA is? Look it up if you know how.
You are really gettin under my skin with your constant whinning and insults....you sound more n more like sheriff....except he's nicer.....

and b.t.w. you did NOT cite a source.....you typed a bunch of letters......name the location of the paper/press release etc. in which the AMA says something.....

zeeeesh.....

Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 AM

159 posts, read 478,820 times
I scoured the AMA Web site and have found no indication that the AMA is in the business of ranking state healthcare systems. Their news section does report rankings from other healthcare-related organizations, such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Commonwealth Fund, and provides links to these studies.

The reports are not in the least as cut and dried as our specious Sheriff would have us think. Here's a link to the Nevada page of an interactive map for a study discussed by AMA but done by the Commonwealth Fund:http://http://www.commonwealthfund.org/statescorecard/statescorecard_show.htm?doc_id=495871 (broken link). Our overall ranking per TCF is 46--not good but not last. Given that--ahem--it's a LANDLOCKED DESERT out here, we're doing well. California is about on a par with Nevada. Their overall ranking is 39. The upper Midwest (e.g., Minnesota)and upper Northeast (e.g., Maine) ranked as the best, and the lower Midwest (Oklahoma) and the South (Mississippi) ranked the worst (with OK and MS ranking the lowest).

Still, because RESEARCH takes time and mine is limited, I wrote to the AMA to ask them to clarify whether the organization itself ever does such rankings, etc. If they reply, I'll report it on the board. Here's the AMA link that is the source link for the foregoing:
http://http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/17873.html (broken link)

Sheriff strikes me as the type of person who has been maligned in some way (either real or imagined) and simply cannot process the incident and move beyond it. I think such a person is potentially dangerous; the sort of person who "goes Postal" and does harm to others and/or tries to drag others down with him or her. I also find it suspect when a person makes pronouncements of the sort that Sheriff does but then hides behind a screen name. Just my opinion, of course, though I do wish Sheriff would focus her attention elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas