Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times

Advertisements

Journalism isn't much of a profession any more. It's a train wreck. Newspapers stopped giving readers what they need know and started giving them what they want to have. It's another problem to tack onto this country's laundry list of problems. And nothing can be done. There is no way to fix what the Internet has broken. (Seriously, this is like asking monks to go back to hand scribing all the world's books after the introduction of the printing press.)

Look at the two daily print sources of news in this city. One of them is little more than a megaphone for the Tea Party. The other is essentially a vanity newspaper. (While I like some of the Sun's stories, I do not like the Sun as a news entity. It is just as bad as the R-J -- neither one of them can play it straight.) There are still some fundamentally decent newspapers out there. But they are dwindling to the point of extinction. I fear that newspapers will soon be as relevant to my daily life as "Good Morning America" is today -- not in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 12:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Some of you guys would complain about being hung with a new rope.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 AM

I might complain about being hanged with a new rope. I'm quite OK with being hung. Zing!

(I wasn't always a cook, remember.)

A little light evening music:

Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM

165 posts, read 209,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I might complain about being hanged with a new rope. I'm quite OK with being hung. Zing!

]
Reminds me of one of the best lines in Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles Funny Scene - "they said you was hung" - YouTube

Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 PM

Didn't even have to click the link. "And they was RIGHT!"

My favorite line from Blazing Saddles? All of them. There are very few lines that AREN'T classics. Look at the first scene, the first bit of dialogue. And then think about the Valley in July.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:03 PM

176 posts, read 264,539 times
I'm assuming this ranking is among public schools. I would think The Meadows in Summerlin would be the best school in the Las Vegas Valley. But it is a private school.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyToasty View Post
I'm assuming this ranking is among public schools. I would think The Meadows in Summerlin would be the best school in the Las Vegas Valley. But it is a private school.
The schools are selected for "best in the country" OR "most improvement." If Meadows didn't make the "best in the country" cut, it's doubtful any of our other schools would either.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:

OK, you got me. I shudda thunk about it for a minute before posting.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
OK, you got me. I shudda thunk about it for a minute before posting.
In a more serious vein -- think about it for a moment. All the rotten schools we have that need improvement. (The bad schools in the bad neighborhoods that produce all the dropout kids.) All of THOSE schools, and we had only TWO schools (in good neighborhoods) that turned around enough to merit some attention?

You can say that I'll gripe about anything. But c'mon. How many awful CCSD stories have to come out before Las Vegas says, "That's it. No more. Enough is enough?"

Old 10-02-2014, 08:02 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times
Take it easy Scoop.

Weir not in enlish class.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas