Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:06 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
I live so close to 3 markets. I have no need to refrigerate anything. I like to drink room-temperature water. I don't drink milk or juices.

I have a case of young coconut sitting on the kitchen counter.

Storing condiments/sauces or leftover food and anything that last longer than 2 days is stupid. I don't want to freeze food for months either.

TRUST ME, you don't need a fridge.

I don't watch TV nor play any music sound system.
Some people are poor while others just live poorly. Glad you enjoy such a lifestyle but I think most of us have no interest in living in such a way. I mean why not live in the third world while you are at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Some people are poor while others just live poorly. Glad you enjoy such a lifestyle but I think most of us have no interest in living in such a way. I mean why not live in the third world while you are at it?
Don't knock it. I did that for years. Much of the third world is absolutely stunning. Think of it as a character-building exercise.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Don't knock it. I did that for years. Much of the third world is absolutely stunning. Think of it as a character-building exercise.
I don't knock it. Unless people are truly impoverished they don't sleep on the floor to save money. They don't skip drinking milk or juice just because it would require a refrigerator. They don't proudly tell people about how they can live cheaper than you. People would laugh at you for trying to make such an argument in many countries, they would just assume you were too proud to admit you were seriously poor.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
I don't knock it. Unless people are truly impoverished they don't sleep on the floor to save money. They don't skip drinking milk or juice just because it would require a refrigerator. They don't proudly tell people about how they can live cheaper than you. People would laugh at you for trying to make such an argument in many countries, they would just assume you were too proud to admit you were seriously poor.
Actually, that sort of lifestyle -- having funds but living like a monk -- is more "normal" elsewhere than it is here.

I have a very, very good friend who I almost never see anymore. He's a millionaire several times over. He buys sailboats in areas that have lots of sailboats. And then he sails them to places where sailboats are expensive and sells them. He travels around the world buying and selling very expensive sailboats. He would often swing by my hometown and we'd knock around town and generally be bohemian.

This is a person who could retire right now and buy a compound in Hawaii and never have to work again. Single-handed sailing yachts halfway around the world is a strenuous, dangerous profession. This is one of those "romantic dream jobs" which except for people like him, are actually nightmares.

Why? There isn't much vacation involved in this line of work. The view 95% of the time is open ocean. Cold, storms, pirates, becalmed, equipment failure. All kinds of problems out there on the open sea. And only the nicest of very nice sailboats is much better than living in an oddly shaped RV. Similar lifestyle to living permanently in an RV.

Naturally, this sort of person has a perspective which I find refreshing. We still keep up on Facebook. As soon as he can get to a computer, we exchange what we're up to. One of these days, I'd like to take a Europe to Guam trip with him, through the Panama Canal. But that takes a couple months. I'm not willing to do that for two months let alone a lifetime. (My wife and employer isn't exactly in favor of the idea, either.)

PS -- Don't worry about me "giving away his secret." It isn't a secret. People have been buying things in places where these things aren't expensive and selling them in places where they are for centuries. Anyone can do this. Almost nobody will.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:03 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
In winter, take your beverages and sit them on the patio. They will be cold within 30 minutes and that's free
How about frying eggs or roasting a steak on the hood of your car during Summer, saves electricty!!
Just kidding!!Hahahaha!!! Some people brew teas outside on a jug and let the sunshine do the brewing, hahaha!!!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:

Have you been to the "frugal" section of CD?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Have you been to the "frugal" section of CD?
I have and its quite a sight when someone stands up to them and says something about it then watch the dogpile of comments. "How dare someone should believe its ok to work so they can afford to sleep in a cooled house during summer nights" Its like a religious cult, everyone vying to be holier than thou...I saved a nickel more than you.

If someone wants to live that way be my guest. I just don't see how one can act like it virtuous and they somehow are a better person than you because of it.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:30 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Actually, that sort of lifestyle -- having funds but living like a monk -- is more "normal" elsewhere than it is here.

I have a very, very good friend who I almost never see anymore. He's a millionaire several times over. He buys sailboats in areas that have lots of sailboats. And then he sails them to places where sailboats are expensive and sells them. He travels around the world buying and selling very expensive sailboats. He would often swing by my hometown and we'd knock around town and generally be bohemian.

This is a person who could retire right now and buy a compound in Hawaii and never have to work again. Single-handed sailing yachts halfway around the world is a strenuous, dangerous profession. This is one of those "romantic dream jobs" which except for people like him, are actually nightmares.

Why? There isn't much vacation involved in this line of work. The view 95% of the time is open ocean. Cold, storms, pirates, becalmed, equipment failure. All kinds of problems out there on the open sea. And only the nicest of very nice sailboats is much better than living in an oddly shaped RV. Similar lifestyle to living permanently in an RV.

Naturally, this sort of person has a perspective which I find refreshing. We still keep up on Facebook. As soon as he can get to a computer, we exchange what we're up to. One of these days, I'd like to take a Europe to Guam trip with him, through the Panama Canal. But that takes a couple months. I'm not willing to do that for two months let alone a lifetime. (My wife and employer isn't exactly in favor of the idea, either.)

PS -- Don't worry about me "giving away his secret." It isn't a secret. People have been buying things in places where these things aren't expensive and selling them in places where they are for centuries. Anyone can do this. Almost nobody will.
Love this story. Everyone is selling something! The trick is actually making money at it. Many years ago(decades even) I traveled extensively in the old USSR. Quite accidentally I discovered Russian Boxes that were cheaper than cheap in the small villages where they were made. I bought quite a few because they were beautiful, small, and easy to carry. I had planned to give them as gifts. And all sorts of related stuff that's seldom seen here like hair combs and brushes. I got back to the states, found out what they were worth and sold them. I made enough money to finance another trip so I went and got more. It was a sweet deal and no customs duty either because they were original works of art.

I was making a killing. And even daring to dream about all the things I would do/buy/invest with all this money. Then relations soured between the US and the USSR. It became more difficult to travel so I had to give it up. Too bad, it was good for the artists and good for me.

But people are still paying through the nose for those boxes. Maybe I should go get some more now. I'm sure those villages are still there!

Anyway, that was my only big score. But I'm still always looking!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:30 AM

122 posts, read 123,804 times
Wow.

Electricity here in Australia is at least .20c per kwh, and sometimes even more.

Looking forward to paying 1/4 the rate when we finally get over!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
I sleep on the floor because it got rid of my back pain.

I walk around shirtless and in my underwear, because I feel most comfortable. WHy not? I'm in my house.

I don't drink milk because it has been pasteurized and homogenized to 270 degrees...essentially destroying any nutrition.

I don't drink juices because all it is mainly high sugar/water. I don't want to be candidate for diabetes.

So, all my reasons are not for frugality. Energy savings is a side effect. (:

Quote:

Last edited by winter-rabbit; 10-01-2014 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas