Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:10 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times

Advertisements

So you think a guy's going to change how he lives because of a random internet post? Oh, wait, you're right, my tp should always route under instead of over. Holy toilet seat batman, I'll leave it down in case of opposite gender visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:11 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,678,568 times
Thats all in your own head.

You can do whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I have and its quite a sight when someone stands up to them and says something about it then watch the dogpile of comments. "How dare someone should believe its ok to work so they can afford to sleep in a cooled house during summer nights" Its like a religious cult, everyone vying to be holier than thou...I saved a nickel more than you.

If someone wants to live that way be my guest. I just don't see how one can act like it virtuous and they somehow are a better person than you because of it.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:23 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
So you think a guy's going to change how he lives because of a random internet post? Oh, wait, you're right, my tp should always route under instead of over. Holy toilet seat batman, I'll leave it down in case of opposite gender visitors.
How many people have changed their energy use habits because of my constant instruction that a better way exists? Nobody wants to hear about polar bears. That's fine. (Really. That's fine.)

But people DO want to hear about how to save money. I have linked the "your household spends X in comparison to your neighbors who spend Y" graphic for my house often. People DM me on posts I made years ago asking where they can find the energy saving upgrades I made.

If only I was as successful improving schools remotely via the Internet as improving electricity use.

Incidentally, I completely agree with winter-rabbit about milk. It's awful in this country. I won't drink it. I enjoy milk in countries that take agriculture and food production seriously. Not here. It doesn't even taste like milk in America. Just chalky white water.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
How many people have changed their energy use habits because of my constant instruction that a better way exists? Nobody wants to hear about polar bears. That's fine. (Really. That's fine.)

But people DO want to hear about how to save money. I have linked the "your household spends X in comparison to your neighbors who spend Y" graphic for my house often. People DM me on posts I made years ago asking where they can find the energy saving upgrades I made.

If only I was as successful improving schools remotely via the Internet as improving electricity use.

Incidentally, I completely agree with winter-rabbit about milk. It's awful in this country. I won't drink it. I enjoy milk in countries that take agriculture and food production seriously. Not here. It doesn't even taste like milk in America. Just chalky white water.
Your posts are more try it it may work for you - so no, it wasn't directed at you.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Your posts are more try it it may work for you - so no, it wasn't directed at you.
I wasn't saying it was "directed." My wife gives me grief about my C-D habit. (I have been doing this since back in the days when users had to dial in, one at a time, to read and reply. It was expected that people would read the boards that interested them and make quick, concise replies so that others could log on.)

If I get hit by a bus this afternoon, my energy posts will help people for at least a few more years. (Loss of net neutrality not withstanding. Pretty soon, all the energy saving tips will be brought to you by Exxon and Freedom Partners Action Fund.)

Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 AM

499 posts, read 1,059,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwara Road View Post
Wow.

Electricity here in Australia is at least .20c per kwh, and sometimes even more.

Looking forward to paying 1/4 the rate when we finally get over!
The normal rate for electricity in Las Vegas is around $.12c per kwh. Scoop is on a special Time of Use Program. Myself, I am on a Choose When You Use program that I pay $.07c per kwh. Many unique electricity saving programs from NV Energy.

Last edited by ft_chief; 10-01-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 10:08 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I'm assuming this is some sort of discount. How do you get it, by using less electricity to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Cheap power for the rest of the year. Back to $30 power bills.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm assuming this is some sort of discount. How do you get it, by using less electricity to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
Scoop is on a special Time of Use Program.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:57 AM

561 posts, read 680,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
By signing up for it.

https://www.nvenergy.com/home/paymen...ng/TOUform.cfm

The way TOU works is that during a specified period in the summer, the rates strongly discourage you from using power during peak periods. The rest of the time, you enjoy a substantially reduced rates. There are two TOU plans available. TOU Plan A has peak hours from 1 pm-7 pm June 1-September 30. During peak time, energy costs are about triple the standard rate, but off-peak hours are about 2/3 the standard rate. The basic service charge is also only about a buck more than the standard plan.

TOU Plan B has peak hours that run 2 pm - 7 pm July 1 - August 31, but if you use any power during that time, you're going to get reamed (the peak rate is over 4x the standard rate, although the off-peak rate is about half the standard rate. Plan B has a basic rate of $33/month, but if you really aren't around during that time, you can save quite a bit of money. Be warned, though - the peak times are the same on the weekends.

So, in exchange for hunkering down for a bit in the hottest parts of the summer and/or accepting a higher than normal bill, you get dirt cheap power for the other 9-10 months of the year.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:31 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
^
Interesting. I wonder if someone could design a cooling system specifically to make use of this. Freeze a large block of ice overnight, then use that to cool the house during the on-peak hours (or some such scheme.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas