Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:05 AM

14 posts, read 22,525 times

Advertisements

That doesn't sound like anything that would impact us much. I do appreciate a nice looking yard. It probably weeds out the ***** bums a bit.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:34 AM

14 posts, read 22,525 times
Thanks everyone, it looks like we're headed out next month to take a peek! This definitely helps us out...

Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
A lot depends on your price range, type of house you are looking for, lot size, etc.

One thing you'll notice when you get here is the general lack of lot size available. Builders have gotten used to squeezing as many homes as possible in the smallest amount of space to fill up their developments with as many homes as possible. If you're looking for ranch style house with the largest lot space, then look toward the NW.

Unless, of course, you're super rich and can afford one of those million dollar plus houses that are advertised/showcased in the local Sunday paper.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWheels View Post
Thanks for reminding me of the HOA's though. Are they truly as horrible as they sound?
Two months here. Apparently it depends. We are in Sun City Summerlin and haven't seen any "HOA Nazis" that everyone gripes about. This with a house next door that needs serious yard work. It turns out the gentleman that lived there couldn't care for it and his niece bought it when he died. There had been some HOA concerns about the yard condition at one point.

They had someone clear all dead plants and have been cleaning up when they can - they are from Houston. They just spent a week here. Very nice people.

We have been asked by them about our concerns and we told them that as long as they are making the effort we don't care, but we expect the same at any future date. And one of the board members lives across the street. They have the same attitude, as well as every other neighor we've talked to. Cut them some slack.

No junk allowed, but don't be an ass about problems being fixed.

My kind of people.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:02 PM

249 posts, read 331,464 times
I loved it southwest in the Blue Diamond area. You might want to check out Henderson as well. I prefer areas south vs north where a lot of people like Summerlin. May I never have to drive up there except to head out to Mt. Charleston.

I read on a thread someone really liking Anthem, Henderson. I'm not familiar w/ it at all, but I'm intrigued. I would love to be far away from everything, yet still have quick access to the strip, etc. This may be an area to check out too. When I move back I'm definitely gonna drive around that area.

Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
^^ One of the major (for us) differences we find between the south and north (SC Anthem and SC Summerlin - and we spent a lot of time in both when looking) is traffic.

We spent three weeks renting in Sun City Anthem and discovered the shopping was pretty darn good. There is a lot, but it's concentrated (mostly) on Eastern. And Eastern is the worst street to drive on of any we have found in Las Vegas. It seems to be in gridlock 24/7 and there is no simple way to avoid it. You can, but the ones we found were roundabout.

We notice that when we drive 215 south there is a point where is a sweeping left curve. From that point south/east traffic changes considerably. From busy to obnoxious. I don't know what street(s) meet the freeway there, but they dump a lot of traffic onto it. And the same is true in reverse. When going west/north you pass that same curve and traffic lightens - a lot.

I don't know how much consideration you give to traffic, and there may be posters who know ways around these, but you should be aware of it.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
My favorite subdivision in the city has some great Santa Fe architecture. Rarely see them on the market though. They are on the north side of Alexander between Durango and Cimarron. I remember I saw them 15 years ago and always wanted a home like it and have wondered why this sort of architecture is so rarely seen in Las Vegas. You can kind of see them on Google Street View, but its a gated entrance so not easy to get into.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2340498,-115.27463,18z

Old 11-04-2014, 02:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
My favorite subdivision in the city has some great Santa Fe architecture. Rarely see them on the market though. They are on the north side of Alexander between Durango and Cimarron. I remember I saw them 15 years ago and always wanted a home like it and have wondered why this sort of architecture is so rarely seen in Las Vegas. You can kind of see them on Google Street View, but its a gated entrance so not easy to get into.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2340498,-115.27463,18z
Kokopelli - Our own Buzz lives there. I live a block away.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:31 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Kokopelli - Our own Buzz lives there. I live a block away.
Nice, did not know that. Are there any other homes around with somewhat similar architecture or is it one of kind for Las Vegas?

Old 11-04-2014, 04:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Nice, did not know that. Are there any other homes around with somewhat similar architecture or is it one of kind for Las Vegas?
There are actually a number in the Lone Mountain area...maybe 6 or 8. Generally big.

I know of no other tract like Kokopelli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas