Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 02:12 AM

529 posts, read 512,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The answer was, and is, Medicare for everyone. It's the most efficient system we have out there, to the chagrin of the private payers with their bloated administrations, hassles, and inefficiencies.

With Medicare, you see any doctor you want that accepts Medicare ( most do ) and it travels from state to state. Why don't we have it? Lobbying and campaign contributions by Aetna , united healthcare, Humana and the other for- profit payers. Gotta keep those seven figure CEO salaries rolling in.
I don't believe that it is true that most doctors take Medicaid. All hospitals do, at least for emergency care, but doctors often refuse it as a payment option. A Google search shows that less than half of private practices accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 05:31 AM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
They can afford to play blackjack and a cigarette habit. This is a Las Vegas ACA thread, after all.

Every week one of the nitwits gives me crap that reads, "You're a cook. What do you know?"

Well, I know to have my healthcare sorted. That's one of the criteria that constitutes "acceptable employment." Since people on this forum claim to be smart, financially competent, and even high earners, then they can certainly sort out their own healthcare without whinging on about Obama and the ACA. This shouldn't even be an issue for all the power-players who populate this forum. "Yeah! Vegas Bay-Bee!"
Scoopers...I suspect those posting who have a great disdain for the abortion known as yo-bummer-care, or the ACA as it's so aptly misnamed, is because, like you, they (we?) did have our ducks in a row, and were responsible enough to have healthcare. Whether by job/career choice, or through private means.

The issue sure doesn't seem to be that others should not have healthcare, but that they don't want to be forced to pay for coverage they don't need, nor for the freeloaders who refuse to make decisions similar to what they have made. Nor, to pay for those who have made the choice to grab their fat hog out side of the legal system of the country they expect to provide for them. This can be evidenced by some of the horror stories of how the insurance costs have increased, while coverage has essentially decreased.

And of course, to rub ones nose in the pile of feces dropped by yo-bummer, the way he got it approved was through deceit. However, if one thinks ANY modern politician is beyond such tactics, they are probably the ones who expect others to take care of their every need, cradle to grave. But nobody likes deceit, and the result of it is never positive.

Personally, I hope to see this whole thing completely dismantled, and a reasonable, fair to all, system put in it's place. One that lets any free, American citizen obtain medical care, without regard to pre-existing conditions, in the most timely, most cost effective, and most appropriate manner possible. And that doesn't include insurance companies, bloated salary ceo's, 6 and 7 figure doctor salaries, or government red tape for those who are responsible, hold jobs, and just want to live their lives. But, I'm not going to hold my breath that happens...

Old 10-03-2015, 09:02 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
I don't believe that it is true that most doctors take Medicaid. All hospitals do, at least for emergency care, but doctors often refuse it as a payment option. A Google search shows that less than half of private practices accept it.

- According to federal survey data, the percentage of all office-based physicians who report accepting new Medicare patients has not changed significantly between 2005 and 2012, with 87.9% of physicians accepting new Medicare patients in 2005 and 90.7% in 2012.

- The percentage of physicians who report accepting new Medicare patients is similar to, and in recent years slightly higher than, the percentage accepting new privately insured patients.

- Medicare beneficiary access to care is high and has remained stable over the past five years.

Access to Physicians' Services for Medicare Beneficiaries | ASPE

I would also point out that Malpractice is not a significant problem particularly in NV which has stringent limitations on filing such actions.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:13 AM

698 posts, read 986,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
Scoopers...I suspect those posting who have a great disdain for the abortion known as yo-bummer-care, or the ACA as it's so aptly misnamed, is because, like you, they (we?) did have our ducks in a row, and were responsible enough to have healthcare. Whether by job/career choice, or through private means.

The issue sure doesn't seem to be that others should not have healthcare, but that they don't want to be forced to pay for coverage they don't need, nor for the freeloaders who refuse to make decisions similar to what they have made. Nor, to pay for those who have made the choice to grab their fat hog out side of the legal system of the country they expect to provide for them. This can be evidenced by some of the horror stories of how the insurance costs have increased, while coverage has essentially decreased.

And of course, to rub ones nose in the pile of feces dropped by yo-bummer, the way he got it approved was through deceit. However, if one thinks ANY modern politician is beyond such tactics, they are probably the ones who expect others to take care of their every need, cradle to grave. But nobody likes deceit, and the result of it is never positive.

Personally, I hope to see this whole thing completely dismantled, and a reasonable, fair to all, system put in it's place. One that lets any free, American citizen obtain medical care, without regard to pre-existing conditions, in the most timely, most cost effective, and most appropriate manner possible. And that doesn't include insurance companies, bloated salary ceo's, 6 and 7 figure doctor salaries, or government red tape for those who are responsible, hold jobs, and just want to live their lives. But, I'm not going to hold my breath that happens...
Well said and I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately I'm not holding my breath either.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:46 AM

413 posts, read 1,589,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The cost explosion happened prior to the ACA. That was just a government band-aid on a sucking chest wound health problem.

If everyone stepped up to the plate and paid for the kind of coverage I have, we wouldn't have any problems.
How dare you. Who the hell do you think you are. I wish I could afford a health plan like yours but life didn't allow me that privilege. Thank God I get Medicare in a month. When the ACA was passed I would have had to pay over $1200 a MONTH (get it ? A MONTH) for Obama health care. I couldn't affordd it. Maybe you can. Good for you. Not everyone is a cigarette-smoking, drug-ingesting, falling-down drunk that goes through their life sucking on societies tit. We all know about your absolute disdain for Las Vegas and it's people. I'm so very glad for you that you can afford (or your employer can afford) such a great plan. Some of us can't nor am I eligible for Medicaid. I'll tell you what. Send me check every month from your vast wealth and I'll buy a policy. Until then, ****.

Last edited by NYtoVT; 10-03-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 11:22 AM

210 posts, read 250,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Ha! No kidding. I forgot to mention that not only has my premium gone-up close to 60% my deductible went-up 10 times. Now that's affordable LOL!
Did you vote fir Harry REid? his compliments.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:53 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
The overall rate of health care cost growth has moderated in recent years. That is fact.

Not doubting that specific people have been hurt in recent years. But basically it has gotten better than it was though still increasing compared to other things.

Employers have also been shifting cost to the employee.

But overall it has gotten better not worse.

And of course one voted for Harry Reid. The other choice was irrational in all sorts of dimensions.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:02 PM

698 posts, read 986,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
How dare you. Who the hell do you think you are. I wish I could afford a health plan like yours but life didn't allow me that privilege. Thank God I get Medicare in a month. When the ACA was passed I would have had to pay over $1200 a MONTH (get it ? A MONTH) for Obama health care. I couldn't affordd it. Maybe you can. Good for you. Not everyone is a cigarette-smoking, drug-ingesting, falling-down drunk that goes through their life sucking on societies tit. We all know about your absolute disdain for Las Vegas and it's people. I'm so very glad for you that you can afford (or your employer can afford) such a great plan. Some of us can't nor am I eligible for Medicaid. I'll tell you what. Send me check every month from your vast wealth and I'll buy a policy. Until then, ****.
Ha!

I'm shocked you got priced out of healthcare by the AFA, haven't' heard that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkieMcCain View Post
Did you vote fir Harry REid? his compliments.
Nope. Wasn't here for that election.

Last edited by qingguy; 10-03-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 01:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
And I reiterate:

I have yet to hear from anyone who had a good (as in "my-fair-share") insurance plan who hates this current system. Individual plans for healthy young(ish) people run $10K per year. And $30K for families. That's what a healthcare plan costs.

Anyone who didn't have one of those realistic plans prior to ACA was being subsidized by those of us who did. And now that they're finally having to obtain real insurance for the first time in their lives, they're complaining to anyone who will listen how unfair it is. And yet these same people will also complain to anyone who will listen about welfare queens.

I've had this kind of health plan all along. Those who haven't need to get with the program or move to someplace like Panama -- where medicine is cheap, provided the patient has reasonable expectations. (You're not getting a liver transplant for $1,000 even in Panama.)

Old 10-03-2015, 01:49 PM

529 posts, read 512,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
- According to federal survey data, the percentage of all office-based physicians who report accepting new Medicare patients has not changed significantly between 2005 and 2012, with 87.9% of physicians accepting new Medicare patients in 2005 and 90.7% in 2012.

- The percentage of physicians who report accepting new Medicare patients is similar to, and in recent years slightly higher than, the percentage accepting new privately insured patients.

- Medicare beneficiary access to care is high and has remained stable over the past five years.

Access to Physicians' Services for Medicare Beneficiaries | ASPE

I would also point out that Malpractice is not a significant problem particularly in NV which has stringent limitations on filing such actions.
Who knows what to believe. This Bloomberg article says:

Quote:
About 46 percent of physicians accept Medicaid
There are a bunch of articles that say that number is 48.7%, surely all parroting the same study.

Edit: I see why your number is so off. You're quoting Medicare stats, not Medicaid. Those aren't the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas