Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
My brother has a fireplace that he turns on with a switch! Could you imagine....a fake fireplace, with a switch???? We burn real wood in ours.
He probably has a gas fireplace. When I lived in CA, we had a wood burning fireplace and the city was going to ban the use of wood to burn because they considered it polution. I prefer the real ones too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
My brother has a fireplace that he turns on with a switch! Could you imagine....a fake fireplace, with a switch???? We burn real wood in ours.
Most urban places, including many in places like Colorado and Las Vegas, ban wood burning fire places. Create too much air pollution. Our house is grandfathered and has a pair. We don't use them more than three or four times a year. We do however have a friend that really heats his 2800 SF house with a pot belly burning wood. Which should be against the law in the Las Vegas Valley.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
He probably has a gas fireplace. When I lived in CA, we had a wood burning fireplace and the city was going to ban the use of wood to burn because they considered it polution. I prefer the real ones too.
yep...I agree...nothing like real wood crackling.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 PM

57 posts, read 258,793 times
Fireplace is not common and not needed often really. I also agree that it is way more pratical to leave the a/c on. It does not cool off enough most nights to turn the a/c off. I use to live in Denver, and it is diffrent in LV. The cost of power can vary a lot depending on your hapits and equipment. However plan on 2 or 3 mounths of higher than normal bills.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
I grew up in Northern Michigan with a fireplace and woodburning stove. Since the house was old I would get up at 6 AM (I was 12-18 years old), see my breathe in my room!!!, get out from under the electric blanket, throw on some sweats and run like heck to the basement to get that damn fire going again!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I RELY ON WOOD HEAT!!! But I too miss the crackling of a nice fire in the fireplace.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 AM

515 posts, read 1,832,617 times
Quote:
yep...I agree...nothing like real wood crackling.
Hey jfk, out here fireplaces are called "Decorative Gas Appliance" the ones you turn on with a switch that is.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I grew up in Northern Michigan with a fireplace and woodburning stove. Since the house was old I would get up at 6 AM (I was 12-18 years old), see my breathe in my room!!!, get out from under the electric blanket, throw on some sweats and run like heck to the basement to get that damn fire going again!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I RELY ON WOOD HEAT!!! But I too miss the crackling of a nice fire in the fireplace.
Thats crazy, did you ever wake up with Pneumonia?? I thought they used heating oil in those really cold states?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
It's FREEZING here in Ohio and ... I wish I had a fireplace, an electric blanket PLUS, space heaters and... down coats and and and ... lol basically it's just COLD!! Can't WAIT to move to Vegas!!! NO MORE SNOW!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
It's FREEZING here in Ohio and ... I wish I had a fireplace, an electric blanket PLUS, space heaters and... down coats and and and ... lol basically it's just COLD!! Can't WAIT to move to Vegas!!! NO MORE SNOW!!!

Question for you guys in Cold Cities? Is your cost of utilities high in the winter months? Here in Las Vegas its pretty cheap because most homes are on gas heat and its doesn't get that cold here (nothing under 20 degrees). What does it cost you in the Winter? and what does it cost you in the summer?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
we have gas heat here in cleveland.. i keep the thermostat around 69, 1400sf house.. new windows, furnace, etc... average gas bill in jan and feb around 350. during the summer around 40. average electric in the summer for the ac around 225, 125 all the other months... and our property taxes easily double vegas property taxes.. incidentally i have homes in both cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas