Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM

83 posts, read 266,149 times

Advertisements

Thankfully, not all hiring managers are not like airics. What a boring world it would be if no one was ever able to move because no one out of state would hire them. By excluding this group, managers are missing out on some really great employees. I've interviewed several out of state people, directly hired 2, and they are 2 of the best employees in our department.

Last edited by mre0609; 10-17-2014 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times
Right or wrong, employers don't think newbies are going to make it through their first summer. There are MULTITUDES of flakes and scammers who live here. And there are multitudes MORE who want to move here.

That's what you're up against trying to find a job from out of state. Don't like it? Nobody cares. Change your tactics like C_A_Braun did. Or move here and find a way not to fail. If it is REALLY your dream to move here, four years is quite long enough to find a way to do so.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:44 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Let's see, you say you've wanted to do this for four years, but when told that you might have to go to some minor amount of effort to adapt to prospective employers' hiring preferences, you're unwilling to make any effort and just whine instead. Oh yeah, I'd be so eager to hire you.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:47 PM

83 posts, read 266,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
you're unwilling to make any effort and just whine instead
And how did I whine? I simply replied to ONE poster's opinion. I said that I was going to get a PO Box in LV and change my Google Voice # to a LV area code. Now tell me how that is whining and not putting in effort?

Old 10-17-2014, 02:18 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,782,261 times
What people are trying to get across, in order to help you, is that Las Vegas is not like other cities. This is a "dream" city, where people want to move. It's not Des Moines, Omaha, Detroit, etc. It is a city where many who move here burn out for whatever reason, and move on. Transiency is very high here, so employers want to make sure someone is going to be here for the long haul before they commit time and money on a person. Although I'm sure it's not unique in that aspect, it is worth noting that Las Vegas businesses will usually hire someone local, who has been here a while, rather than someone who has the idea of moving here, not knowing whether or not they will last.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
And how did I whine? I simply replied to ONE poster's opinion. I said that I was going to get a PO Box in LV and change my Google Voice # to a LV area code. Now tell me how that is whining and not putting in effort?
My wife and I didn't want to move here. We don't want to live here. And we don't like it here one bit.

But we moved here just before the recession and we were both working almost immediately. My field essentially does not exist here. So I made a career change for something that I like. I'll do that until we leave, and then I'll go back to doing my old job.

It's the old adage: People don't plan to fail. They fail to plan.

What have you done today to make your dream a reality instead of a pipe dream? How have you usefully interacted with people in academia today? What did you do to network today? How many people have you impressed with your hustle and winning attitude today?

Because you're going to have to do that for weeks or even months to make anything happen in this town. Las Vegas, as a rule, does not roll out the welcome mat. Want something? Go find a way to make it happen. Nobody has time for anything else.

Remember that when you're here on vacation, everyone is paid to be nice to you. When you live here, you sink or swim based on your personality. Nobody is being PAID to be nice to you anymore -- now you're part of the workforce competition, not a customer.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:13 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Thankfully, not all hiring managers are not like airics. What a boring world it would be if no one was ever able to move because no one out of state would hire them. By excluding this group, managers are missing out on some really great employees. I've interviewed several out of state people, directly hired 2, and they are 2 of the best employees in our department.
you obviously don't get it….. move here first or at minimum get a local address…. we don't interview, because like other posters stated… its a pipe dream… i'm not going to put the companies money and time at risk to hire someone that won't be here in 90 days…

when i see the application, and i see a las vegas address, and i confirm residency.. then i make the call…

on a side note, if the application looks decent, i still call if its california. they aren't dreaming, they are trying to get out of a nightmare of taxes and a huge cost of living.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 PM

26 posts, read 63,522 times
I've had success finding a job in Vegas because I have contacts in my industry there that I reached out to. Given the great work relationshiops I've maintained they were kind enough to pass my resume along and give me a great reference with it. I also used my friends home address in Vegas. I've had phone interviews, and since I'm moving mid-Nov my time frame of availability is reasonable.
I agree that a local address is important. When I was planning on moving from Mich to Atl 7 years ago I applied and applied and got no response. When I actually moved I eventually was able to find a job. It came a bit easier...but you really have to put yourself out there

Old 10-17-2014, 05:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
Started my search 6 months prior to moving here, have been here a year.get more than 2 interviews a month, and only once got a courtesy email afterwards.Previous colleagues can't believe I haven't been able to get a job here.Even though I'm in a profession, employers here like to hire with no experience and "train" them. And, (correctly)it appears they know how tough it is to work for 1/2 the pay I'm used to.
The 1st question at interviews is always "what brings you to Vegas"
A dental highgenist? Once told me to make sure prospective employers know its a permanent move.
I've found it very discouraging.
There are a lot of post secondary schools here for you to look at.
Very good question. My wife asks this question during her interviews and is a very important deciding factor. A couple of months ago it went like this...

Wife: "What brings you to Las Vegas?"

Person being interviewed: "After my last vacation to this city, I just knew this is where I wanted to live."

Wife: "Have you traveled much outside of the strip area?"

Person being interviewed: "Not really. I am just starting to explore what Vegas has to offer. I LOVE Summerlin."

Wife:

Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Quote:
Unfortunately Las Vegas is different. My wife's company used to hire 10 out of towners and 5 would quit before the summer ended. Besides, we have moderately high unemployment already so I am sure there is a qualified candidate out of the 200,000+ underemployed/unemployed. Most all companies get burned by people moving to LV because of the allure of their most recent strip visit or just seeing the photo below. Just want you to better understand why companies are skeptical of out of state candidates.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas