Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Is there a Macy's in Las Vegas that sells furniture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yes. It's on Spring Mountain, just inside the edge of Chinatown.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:24 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
We met a couple that just moved here, like us, and they found some nice furniture there. Apparently a lot of their furniture comes from the shows. They buy the floor models when the show closes.
^^^ This ^^^

Las Vegas World Market Center World Market Center Las Vegas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is "a 5 million square foot showcase for the home and hospitality contract furnishings industry in downtown Las Vegas. It is the largest showroom complex in the world for the home and hospitality furnishings industry, serving domestic and international sellers and buyers..." There are 3 buildings; I think the tallest is 16 stories, and the others are about 12 stories.

World Market Center is the location for the trade show Las Vegas Market Las Vegas Market

World Market Center is not a retail center - but it turns out the first two floors of one of the three buildings are open to the public year round (I think Monday - Friday during normal business hours) & end customers can purchase from them. You should go take a look - you may find things that are just what you want.

All the other floors of that building (building B, I think) as well as 100% of the other two buildings (A and C) are not open to the public; they are only open during twice-a-year trade shows and then only to members of the trade. The next trade show is in January 18 - 22, 2015.

Think of it this way: RC Willy and Ashley & Walkers & Macys, as well as smaller chains and boutiques, send their furniture buyers to this trade show, where they meet sales representatives of actual furniture manufacturers, and conduct business - placing orders for furniture for the following several months. During the 50 weeks of the year that there is no trade show, the buildings are closed and the furniture manufacturers just leave the furniture inside the buildings in their showroom spaces. The manufacturers respond to actual sales by discontinuing slow moving models and introducing new models they hope will do well. As they do this, the discontinued slow moving furniture is sold off to places such as Colleen's. Even the staples are sometimes sold off because all their customers know the product well and don't need to see it in person again, as they've been buying the same product for years.

So, at Colleen's and other places, you can find brand-new but not brand-new furniture. It may have been manufactured several years ago and sat in the closed showroom on, say, the 13th floor of World Market Center - and only displayed during the two weeks per year the center is open. Then, they decide to sell it off to Colleens to make room for new floor models in the same way a car dealership sells off the 2014 models to make room for 2015 models, although furniture doesn't follow annual cycles like that.

Members of the Trade include interior designers and distributors and manufacturers reps and the like. Mrs. SportyandMisty has a design degree and keeps an interior design license so she can gain access to the show. It is amazing to me just how much profit there is in furniture -- enough to pay for skyscrapers to remain closed 50 weeks of the year.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
In addition to the department stores, I suggest seeking out smaller, "mom & pop" quality furniture stores, and ask them to help you. In addition to the inventory on the floor, they'll pull out catalogs and websites of the many manufacturers with which they have business relationships, most of whom will have distribution centers with inventory - so you can order what you want & it arrives pretty quickly.

In addition to ordering some furniture from several factories, we're having a ton of furniture custom manufactured here in Las Vegas by a company that is uniquely set up to do this at whatever quality level you wish to purchase. You have to know what you want & what you're doing. They are mostly busy manufacturing furniture or refurbishing furniture for large resorts here, but take on small projects like an individual home as a filler.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
I'd like to add that Craigslist provided us with all our upholstered furniture. And some of it came by way of Macy's, but at 1/10th the price. (All of our leather entertainment-room furniture.) In addition, our pool table came from Craigslist. I cannot make one of those in my shop, either.

I cannot abide paying the kind of mark-up they charge at furniture stores.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:00 PM

557 posts, read 793,068 times
Some of my favorite collections are from Drexel Heritage.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:31 PM

Today I find myself looking at sites in Virginia and other east coast locales. And one in California. If the one in CA has what were are looking for we will drive over to sit on it. Hmmmm, did I just say that?

Anyway, we have pretty much given up on finding good furniture here. There was a store that carried Bradington-Young, but it closed during the downturn.

Road trip!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
Quote:

downtown summerlin

Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
downtown summerlin
The one on Spring Mountain is a dedicated store just for housewares, home furnishings, and furniture. I'm gonna guess, 3-4x as much square footage as the space in the downtown Summerlin store for the same items.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 PM

We went to Macy's at Spring Mountain. Not impressed with the quality of the sofas we saw.

I can't believe there is a complete lack of a store in a city of 2 million people that sells good furniture. I could buy this stuff in Des Moines, Iowa for heavens sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: