Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I could care less about your non-inflation adjusted pension and eroded buying power. Maybe you should have selected a career path with an inflation adjusted pension. Boo hoo if you have to go back to work at the ripe old age of forty. It's in MY best interest that they means test social security for folks like yourself and strip away your SS benefits since you're already receiving pension benefits.

It's in MY best interest that the IRS start enforcing "normal retirement age" rules which would federally limit all pension recipients (including government pensioners) to be unable to collect pensions earlier than age 50.

Door swings both ways pal and given you're in a significant minority position (retired in forties, etc.), the masses who aren't in your shoes would love to vote vote vote and strip away all your "unfair" benefits. They may not be able to touch your pension (although IRS normal retirement age rulings could significantly affect your pension), but there are plenty of other ways you can be dinged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
I was still working, but it was with the Police Dept so my job was in no danger. This was in NY and my buying power was crazy, from cars ( bought 2 ) to local contractors. NY by its nature is a high cost State, but people were desperate for work and I am talking about licensed and bonded businesses. At a time when most people were worried about losing their jobs or finding jobs I was spending and getting great deals. It is all about supply and demand. I retired in 2012 after loading up additional savings ( annuity fund, deferred compensation and additional pension contributions ). However I plan to live another 30-40 years and the buying power can be crushed by a flourishing economy. I know you are a young man that will be able to retire soon, be smart during your final years and save as much as you can. Choose a low cost area, enjoy your family and spend lots of time with them. It is a gift to retire at such a young age. If you decide to work a second career it will not be out of desperation, but rather a desire to stay busy and active. Hey, did I say to spend lots of time with your family ?

Last edited by WestieJeff; 10-23-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 11:42 AM

654 posts, read 1,250,714 times
I think I will vote NO based on my belief that we are taxed enough and the government, be it schools, local or state government or whatever other agency has to deal with their budgets with the tax money they already receive.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:55 AM

557 posts, read 793,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Sorry, I could care less about your non-inflation adjusted pension and eroded buying power. Maybe you should have selected a career path with an inflation adjusted pension. Boo hoo if you have to go back to work at the ripe old age of forty. It's in MY best interest that they means test social security for folks like yourself and strip away your SS benefits since you're already receiving pension benefits.

It's in MY best interest that the IRS start enforcing "normal retirement age" rules which would federally limit all pension recipients (including government pensioners) to be unable to collect pensions earlier than age 50.

Door swings both ways pal and given you're in a significant minority position (retired in forties, etc.), the masses who aren't in your shoes would love to vote vote vote and strip away all your "unfair" benefits. They may not be able to touch your pension (although IRS normal retirement age rulings could significantly affect your pension), but there are plenty of other ways you can be dinged.
Enjoy or day at work for the next unknown years. I'm on vacation the rest of my life. How about you ?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Just because your kids will not own a small business (odd that you are planning their careers for them, instead of letting them follow whatever dreams they may have, one of those dreams may be someday owning a business), does not mean that actively working to destroy businesses will be beneficial to them.
The day my kids own a small business will be the day I care about small businesses. I deal with today and what's in my/family's best interest.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:00 PM

210 posts, read 449,565 times
First rule of message boards don't feed the trolls.

I did an analysis for one business 2 years ago under all three revenue criteria. The additional tax payments were in the neighborhood of $20MM to $25MM per year at the lowest option. If you think a company is going to absorb that hit to the bottom line your crazy. All kind of ideas are being floated. Layoffs, 401K matching removal, reduction in health benefits etc...

Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah , the problem with the valley is in fact , selfish assbites like that. It's a good part of the reason I don't want to live here anymore. It wasn't always this bad.
I'm actually good for the valley. I am not in competition with you or others to compete for the petty jobs. I would say the valley needs more retirees

Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
My children are fine and will be fine. I believe in education and a desired skill set that's in demand. Small business will not be the path for my children. As far as understanding long term interest, I do. I planned for my retirement the first day I started my career. Planning is the key to success. If my interests conflict with others I will not apologize
You don't have a crystal ball. If you are actively doing things that will harm the economy you jeopardizing your children's stability. And their children. There is a very active paradigm shift going on in the work force and looking out for your short-term, best interests is likely going to come back and bite your family in the behind.

Luckily, it appears that in this one election it will matter not.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah , the problem with the valley is in fact , selfish assbites like that. It's a good part of the reason I don't want to live here anymore. It wasn't always this bad.
Your post is the perfect example of what can happen to this valley if things don't improve or get worse. If all the the people who cared about the city/community moved out of LV, who would be left? Only people who come to LV to take advantage if the low cost of living, that's it. It would be a dog eat dog city and my family and I would leave also.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Your post is the perfect example of what can happen to this valley if things don't improve or get worse. If all the the people who cared about the city/community moved out of LV, who would be left? Only people who come to LV to take advantage if the low cost of living, that's it. It would be a dog eat dog city and my family and I would leave also.
I don't see any improvement. I don't see any POSSIBILITY of improvement. It's already a low-expectations, I-got-mine-Jack, uncultured wasteland. There are exceptions. But it just keeps getting worse and worse here. I can't wait to leave.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
I was still working, but it was with the Police Dept so my job was in no danger. This was in NY and my buying power was crazy, from cars ( bought 2 ) to local contractors. NY by its nature is a high cost State, but people were desperate for work and I am talking about licensed and bonded businesses. At a time when most people were worried about losing their jobs or finding jobs I was spending and getting great deals. It is all about supply and demand. I retired in 2012 after loading up additional savings ( annuity fund, deferred compensation and additional pension contributions ). However I plan to live another 30-40 years and the buying power can be crushed by a flourishing economy. I know you are a young man that will be able to retire soon, be smart during your final years and save as much as you can. Choose a low cost area, enjoy your family and spend lots of time with them. It is a gift to retire at such a young age. If you decide to work a second career it will not be out of desperation, but rather a desire to stay busy and active. Hey, did I say to spend lots of time with your family ?
I understand where you are coming from. Nothing wrong with putting your family first. I just don't want to do it at the expense of others. I'm not sure if I am understanding you correctly but is it safe to say that you would not mind the city/country going through another recession so you can live a better quality life(more spending power)?

By the way, I plan on retiring at 40 as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas