Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,245,414 times

Advertisements

You should insolate, but have a way for the house to breath. Are you really losing too much heat or A/C from that crack by the door, of is it letting out some of the bad air? You don't want the house to be as tight as a drum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 04:57 PM

15,759 posts, read 14,368,122 times
You need to put in an energy recovery ventilator. Exchange the air without losing the heating/cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Airtight houses are not healthy. You're breathing the same unhealthy air all the time.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,732,514 times
Come on guys. This is 18 inch wall stuff. Triple pane windows. Very much like straw bail houses. Has to work but costs too much and removes much area from the home.

Start with do the house with 2x6 studs. And couple of feet of insulation in the attic. Then put six inches of Styrofoam on the face of the studs before you stucco.

Existing house? Add another foot to its external dimensions. But make sure you don't get too close to your lot boundaries. Then new stucco and new window wells and 12,000 worth of high qualtiy windows. Couple of months and $50K and you are done. Twelve year payback?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:04 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,829,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Existing house? Add another foot to its external dimensions. But make sure you don't get too close to your lot boundaries. Then new stucco and new window wells and 12,000 worth of high qualtiy windows. Couple of months and $50K and you are done. Twelve year payback?
I'd take off all the drywall, remove the batts, and do spray foam. That's R-26 in 3-1/2", and eliminates air infiltration. Then put something on the face of the studs to provide a thermal break (foam strip or whatever), and close up the walls. Far less cost and work compared to what you propose.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,732,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'd take off all the drywall, remove the batts, and do spray foam. That's R-26 in 3-1/2", and eliminates air infiltration. Then put something on the face of the studs to provide a thermal break (foam strip or whatever), and close up the walls. Far less cost and work compared to what you propose.
Actually I agree with you...I was being skeptical. I doubt the foot thick walls ever pay off.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:41 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,934,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You should insolate, but have a way for the house to breath. Are you really losing too much heat or A/C from that crack by the door, of is it letting out some of the bad air? You don't want the house to be as tight as a drum.
Yes, actually you do.

I can open a window if need be. Tight as a drum means less vermin and lower heating and cooling bills. I check my house every year on a cold, windy day with a stick of smoking incense in one hand and a can of Great Stuff foam in the other. (And a pair of screwdrivers in my back pocket.) Every year I find a leak and plug it. And every year my bills go down just a little more.

There is no such thing as "bad air." The whole concept of "malaria" (trans. "bad air") was tossed out when it was shown to be a parasite.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 AM

You should probably do a blower door test, and nail all your leaks (sort of the "official" way of doing what you've been doing.

But the need for air exchange is very real. Trapped air picks up and keep contaminants (think things off-gassing from carpets and upholstery, etc.). The ERV I mentioned previously is the most efficient way to accommodate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Yes, actually you do.

I can open a window if need be. Tight as a drum means less vermin and lower heating and cooling bills. I check my house every year on a cold, windy day with a stick of smoking incense in one hand and a can of Great Stuff foam in the other. (And a pair of screwdrivers in my back pocket.) Every year I find a leak and plug it. And every year my bills go down just a little more.

There is no such thing as "bad air." The whole concept of "malaria" (trans. "bad air") was tossed out when it was shown to be a parasite.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 AM

We now seem to have two threads revolving around the same subject (heating costs.) So to be consistent, I'll post here what I posted in the other one.

Given Vegas's mild winters, you probably don't need to go full on Passive House to get rid of heating bills. The use of passive and/or active solar techniques would probably allow a house to pick up all the heat it needs to get through the winter. The right passive solar design could also mitigate a lot of the solar gain you get in the summer.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:18 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,012,202 times
No, actually, an airtight house is bad for your health. From the EPA website (emphasis added)

"Indoor pollution sources that release gases or particles into the air are the primary cause of indoor air quality problems in homes. Inadequate ventilation can increase indoor pollutant levels by not bringing in enough outdoor air to dilute emissions from indoor sources and by not carrying indoor air pollutants out of the home. High temperature and humidity levels can also increase concentrations of some pollutants."

"Some sources, such as building materials, furnishings, and household products like air fresheners, release pollutants more or less continuously. Other sources, related to activities carried out in the home, release pollutants intermittently. These include smoking, the use of unvented or malfunctioning stoves, furnaces, or space heaters, the use of solvents in cleaning and hobby activities, the use of paint strippers in redecorating activities, and the use of cleaning products and pesticides in house-keeping. High pollutant concentrations can remain in the air for long periods after some of these activities."

Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,934,196 times
That's what ventilation is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: