Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:47 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times

Advertisements

Prioritize. Location first, than lot size or house config (in either order), than finishes. If you have to redo the finishes, do it. That's the most likely way you'll end up with the house you want at a price close to what you want to pay. The chances of finding the perfect house in the perfect location, at the perfect price is always pretty slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChivasRx View Post
You're right on all counts. Especially the dreck.

The small yards I do understand. But getting 5500+ sq ft makes a big difference and is available in some spots. Some of the better looking houses in Summerlin had a pool that takes up the whole yard. Nice, but I don't want a pool.

Investor owned/rented properties as you mention seems to be a problem for me. Now this is just me, but if I'm spending ~350K for a house, I expect it to look nice. A lot of these resales look like crap and I kind of try to force myself to think they're acceptable, but they aren't really. That's why I'm thinking of the new house in Enterprise. I would get every thing I want (lot, config, price) but not the location. I figured going into this that were going to be compromises, and this might be the big one. (location) And that's my basic question here, how's that Buffalo/Durango/Warm Springs area. I will be back out there first week of December to look myself. Already checked out Glaziers last time. lol Good food, restaurants and groceries, seem to be in abundance over there. A big +!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:58 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I've been "behind the gates" at Anthem, Rhodes Ranch and Summerlin. I still don't see what the difference is between them. Trails, perfectly groomed landscaping, shopping, dining, etc. Everything you list above can be had elsewhere.
This was exactly why I bought in Rhodes Ranch. My realtor said 90% of the people who come to him looking for something start out in Summerlin and only want to look over there, with a few wanting Anthem or McDonald Ranch. Then once they realize everyone wants to be in those places and will pay a premium to be there, they open up to the other places once they see how hard it is to justify the premium. I had a few offers on foreclosures rejected in Summerlin and became open to looking elsewhere and found Rhodes Ranch was over 20% cheaper per sf for pretty much the same exact house and for my situation a better location.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:57 PM

399 posts, read 563,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Did you move out of LV/Summerlin after kids graduated Palo Verde?
1 kid from Palo, the other from West Career & Tech.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:35 PM

140 posts, read 277,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Downtown LV or Downtown Summerlin? I don't think I have ever heard someone over 30 say proximity to Downtown LV is a factor at all. Rhodes Ranch is well located for most people, not walking distance to shopping, but short drive to plenty of shopping and dining options and to the Strip. And its good the OP has been inside, one really can't appreciate Rhodes Ranch unless they go inside the gates. It does come at a higher HOA cost however.

I was referring to Downtown Las Vegas--i.e. Arts District, Fremont East etc. FWIW, I am 53 and during frequent long stays in LV, I enjoy spending time in those areas. Rhodes Ranch seems pretty remote to me.

ETA: Peccole Ranch fits the bill too, as far as being close to Summerlin Pkway. And Desert Shores is so close to the 95, you can get Downtown in 10 mins at non-peak times.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:40 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliablossom View Post
I was referring to Downtown Las Vegas--i.e. Arts District, Fremont East etc. FWIW, I am 53 and during frequent long stays in LV, I enjoy spending time in those areas. Rhodes Ranch seems pretty remote to me.

ETA: Peccole Ranch fits the bill too, as far as being close to Summerlin Pkway. And Desert Shores is so close to the 95, you can get Downtown in 10 mins at non-peak times.
No local has ever asked me to meet them Downtown LV. Ever. Not even for First Friday which I actually enjoyed a few times or at Container Park which I find to be an interesting place once in awhile. I get asked to meet people in Town Square and now in Downtown Summerlin quite often, other times at places on or near the Strip. All places within 15 minutes of Rhodes Ranch.

The attractions in Downtown LV are different and appeal to some, but its a pretty small number. Just the nature of most people in LV. Maybe in 10 years things will have changed.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:50 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Rent! Get to know the city. Spend time looking at a lot of houses. Make sure you have an honest realtor. (I can give you three if need be.) Make sure you get it right the first time unless you can afford $350,000 mistakes.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 AM

21 posts, read 33,228 times
Thanks for all the comments! Currently suffering a wisdom tooth disaster so I'll be short.

As Willy said, downtown is meaningless to me. I'll be in town again next month and will give the RR area a fair look as it seems to promote a very convenient lifestyle with all the great shopping and restaurants very close by, like Summerlin (not the Mesas though). As a golfer, it must be great to have a nice course in your neighborhood. And that's exactly what I am looking for; Nice house, nice area, and very convenient.

Back after tomorrow when I get this #@^$% tooth pulled.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,578 times
If you were thinking of purchasing a property in Southern Nevada you may want to check out this article which city is considered the safest city. And it's a close neighbor to Vegas.

Henderson ranked among safest American cities by real estate industry blog

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/henderson-ranked-among-safest-american-cities-real-estate-industry-blog

Old 11-14-2014, 12:10 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
While I have no problem with Henderson I doubt it's crime situation is any better than Summerlin's. Not that Summerlin is bad. But since it's not it's own municipality, it's not tracked separately. Parts get lumped in with the City of LV (which as some significantly bad areas), or unincorporated Clark County.

Henderson, being it's own city, get's tracked separately. And while they're are some not great areas, they aren't as big or bad as some in the City of Las Vegas, or unincorporated county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
If you were thinking of purchasing a property in Southern Nevada you may want to check out this article which city is considered the safest city. And it's a close neighbor to Vegas.

Henderson ranked among safest American cities by real estate industry blog

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/henderson-ranked-among-safest-american-cities-real-estate-industry-blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: