Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:47 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times

Advertisements

I am interested in Sun City Summerlin for future needs, but I am concerned about the cost of irrigation water. I can understand why many houses have desert landscaping. However, I was interested in some condo/townhouses which have green front lawns. Do you know if the condo fees pay for the lawn irrigation? If it is an individual bill, how much more would the water bill be versus a house with desert landscaping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:52 AM

654 posts, read 1,251,091 times
Yes Condo HOA fees pay for the common grounds landscaping including the water bill.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:03 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,759 times
Turn on the sprinkler system of the house you are considering for purchase and see if it is being watered by the house's own system.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:22 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,826 times
I live in SC Summerlin and agree the townhouses with the green lawns are the prettiest. I, otoh, have total desert landscaping.

Our water is rationed. At least, it's suggested we ration it. One time a week now in the winter months. Spring, summer and fall is every other day. I have many bushes and trees that need water. My bill for that runs about $20 a month. Water rates are very, very reasonable here. In addition, I pay a separate sewer bill every quarter that runs around $50 a month.

If you are looking to move here, it might be quite hard to find the floor plan townhome you like, that also has the green lawns that happens to be for sale the time you are looking. Also, our HOA is working towards using less water, taking more of the grass out of the community areas and the day could come the townhomes with lawns will have to remove them.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I live in SC Summerlin and agree the townhouses with the green lawns are the prettiest ..... Also, our HOA is working towards using less water, taking more of the grass out of the community areas and the day could come the townhomes with lawns will have to remove them.
Thank you for telling me about the water rationing. I was afraid there might be a trend toward removing the lawns.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM

654 posts, read 1,251,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Thank you for telling me about the water rationing. I was afraid there might be a trend toward removing the lawns.
My rental condo which is in an HOA took out grass a couple years ago to save on water costs....they reduced their water costs, but didn't reduce the HOA fees.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Landscaping on the townhomes is done by the Association. Note there are a number of these with varying HOA fees...100 to 175 or so. This is on top of the Sun City fee of about $100.

Basically the local Association covers all of it except the landscaping in your courtyard. That you pay for though I nave seen houses where the courtyard was tied to the Association system. I am not sure either the Home Owner or the Association were aware of this...so it may have just been an easy implementation by some landscaper.

Grass removal has occurred on some of the Associations and not on others. There is no guarantee that it will remain and it can be a hot issue in some Associations.

Note the local associations also take care of maintenance on the externals of the buildings including roofs and paint.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I live in SC Summerlin and agree the townhouses with the green lawns are the prettiest. I, otoh, have total desert landscaping.
Do you happen to know if there is a gate through the wall at Prairie Hill Drive so that you could walk from Sun City Summerlin streets in the back of the shopping center with the Smith's at Lake Mead Blvd and Rampart.

I liked a house on Sunup Drive, and it would be great to be able to walk to a grocery store. Otherwise, is it legal to use a golf cart to get to a grocery store?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:39 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
There is a trend toward removing lawns; it's the desert. You'd be hard pressed to find any natural grass growing in the desert, and the same with all these trees and bushes. None of them are native. Developers have just about cut down or bulldozed all native plants, then brought in ones that don't belong here. That's where the biggest percentage of our water goes to -- keeping non-native plants and grass alive. That's why you and I pay so much for water. Although, we don't really pay all that much for water. Nothing like they pay back east where it rains every day. Go figure.

But, in a condo situation, the residents might not have an individual say in what's out front.

BTW: We don't irrigate lawns -- we sprinkle -- thus lawn sprinklers.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,826 times
I don't know where Prairie Drive is in here, (if you drive every street from end to end you cover 75 miles) but I know there is a gate that can be used for golf carts or walking that puts you into Smith's parking lot. If walking, carrying one's groceries would not be pleasant. I would say 99% of the residents drive their cars to Smith's. It would not happen often you could find a day that was not hot or if not hot, windy. That Smiths is the standard de facto for updated, carry everything stores and is known as the busiest one in LV. The parking lot is a zoo. I have been hit twice while driving through it.

If my advice were asked for, I agree that the grassy lawned townhomes are the prettiest, I would always go for something in the newest section. That would be in the back abutting Lake Mead. The older section up front does not sell as well, there are more problems because the homes are older, it tends to have residents older in age and because it's flatter, very seldom do any of the homes have a view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas