Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 PM

249 posts, read 331,136 times

Advertisements

Is anyone doing any volunteering at any of the local non-profits? If yes, would you mind sharing either w/ which organizations or at least your experience? I hope this is not too personal but I'm trying to get a feel for the volunteering climate there before I delve into it. Or I guess I can just take the plunge and trust that all will be ok because whomever I volunteer for is a serving the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 PM

15,818 posts, read 14,453,901 times
I'd like to expand this a little bit. What is the nonprofit sector like in metro Vegas. My GF is in the non-profit sector. I always assumed it wasn't very well developed, and she'd have a hard time getting a job. Is that true?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'd like to expand this a little bit. What is the nonprofit sector like in metro Vegas. My GF is in the non-profit sector. I always assumed it wasn't very well developed, and she'd have a hard time getting a job. Is that true?
Good questions! I'd be curious what others have to say as well.

Here's my take on it ...

From what I've looked at in Vegas, the non-profit jobs are limited. That might be because my 2 area of interests are very specific. But it's always been my understanding non-profit jobs are hard to come by. It makes sense because of their limited funding and strict budget. Also, the limited amount of non-profit organizations as well. It's a double whammy.

My goal is to work in non-profit. I thought it might be a good idea to volunteer first for the organizations I'm interesting in working for and then see if it's *really* what I think it's going to be like.

I volunteered a long time ago where I'm originally from. It was for one of my passions ... feeding the homeless. It was what I thought it would be like. Fulfilling on every level for me as a human being.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,041 times
If you are just looking to volunteer at a non profit there are several I've used for work groups:
-The Farm. Needs help cleaning pens, moving hay, everything has to be clean before the days open to the public. Lots of cool rescue animals.

-Animal Foundation

-There are several dog rescues that need help. You can usually walk the dogs, clean cages, or other dog tasks. The one that does dogs each Sunday at Pet Smart needs help transporting and caring for the dogs each Sunday.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
If you are just looking to volunteer at a non profit there are several I've used for work groups:
-The Farm. Needs help cleaning pens, moving hay, everything has to be clean before the days open to the public. Lots of cool rescue animals.

-Animal Foundation

-There are several dog rescues that need help. You can usually walk the dogs, clean cages, or other dog tasks. The one that does dogs each Sunday at Pet Smart needs help transporting and caring for the dogs each Sunday.
I'm not an animal person. Well I loved my cat ;-) But other than that, I'm not really into animals. I'm more about serving the community in the respect to various aspects of shelter & food.

I appreciate your suggestions. Thank you for trying to help me

Old 11-07-2014, 10:11 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
I've taught ESL and worked for animal rescue as a volunteer. The ESL thing is for a local church I don't attend... I like doing volunteer work. It's good for me and the community. But because I'm doing it for free, it has to be relatively close to the house. I can't afford to be driving back and forth across town all the time.

I wish it was easier to find volunteer opportunities here.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM

687 posts, read 1,943,623 times
Not too hard to find opportunities

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2014 at 06:07 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 11:45 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Thanks!

Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I've taught ESL and worked for animal rescue as a volunteer. The ESL thing is for a local church I don't attend... I like doing volunteer work. It's good for me and the community. But because I'm doing it for free, it has to be relatively close to the house. I can't afford to be driving back and forth across town all the time.

I wish it was easier to find volunteer opportunities here.
You bring up an excellent point. I was just MapQuesting something and it really didn't occur to me exactly how far my 2 top non-profit organizations are located from where I'll be staying when I get back into town (temporarily, not sure how long). I'll be southwest and they're northeast. I can't be driving that horrid 15 again! I totally forgot about the commute. I was so focused on volunteering. But if I end up working for one of them (fingers crossed I can live/work one of my passions), it would be in my best interest to live somewhere northeast. Are there any safe neighborhoods nestled up there? Well that's another issue and another post. Pardon me, I'm getting sidetracked.

I'm glad to hear someone else enjoys volunteering. Yeah it's totally a wonderful feeling being of service to the community. I truly appreciate your reply!

Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Thanks!
Me too! Thanks!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas