Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 PM

249 posts, read 331,336 times

Advertisements

I've used Clear in the past where I currently live w/ no problems, but I had to switch (long story, not Clear related) to another provider. With my move back to Vegas right around the corner I knew I needed to go back to Clear, but I've been reluctant w/ the negative reviews I've read here. I really don't have a choice w/ internet service because I won't have a permanent residence until I get a job there. So I just signed up w/ Clear (an hour ago) and it's working great. The speed is just as fast as the internet service that I have w/ Oceanic-Time Warner ... which I guess isn't saying much ... LOL. But my point is that Clear is working! Whew! I hope it continues to work just as well when I move back.

Maybe I'm being premature in my post, but I'm soooooo relieved it's working! I don't see why it won't work just as well in Vegas? Well that's the hope! When I'm back in Vegas I'll post an update (in this thread) how Clear is working for me ... in case anyone is curious about signing up.

Is there anyone that is using Clear now? If yes, how's your service going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,074 times
I use a Clear puck with unlimited data for $50 per month. In the three years I've had Clear, the company has responded well to issues I've had (particularly when a prior puck died). I've read the bad reviews too - but my experience with Clear has been good.

Bill

Old 11-08-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
I use a Clear puck with unlimited data for $50 per month. In the three years I've had Clear, the company has responded well to issues I've had (particularly when a prior puck died). I've read the bad reviews too - but my experience with Clear has been good.

Bill
That's so wonderful to hear! I'm so happy you caught my post

When your puck died, was Clear still in business? I'm asking because I wonder how the customer service is now being that it's Sprint? Can they even help anyone using Clear?

One of my biggest concerns is that I can't literally go to a Clear store or Best Buy, etc if I need help. Also, and this is even more of a concern, is that we can longer buy the modems from stores, nor from their site (which of course no longer exists), or call them up and have them mail a replacement. I totally lucked out w/ an almost brand new model on eBay at really great price. I think I better buy another one for back-up

Old 11-09-2014, 01:17 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
All depends on where you are in relation to their towers. If you happen to live close to one you probably will do fine. If you end up living in a dead spot well they take little responsibility for that and won't give you a refund or let you out of a contract after an initial period of time even if you prove you have no reception there. I guess this adds extra importance to taking your setup with you when you go look at places to live to make sure you get a signal there.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Love View Post
Also, and this is even more of a concern, is that we can longer buy the modems from stores, nor from their site (which of course no longer exists), or call them up and have them mail a replacement. I totally lucked out w/ an almost brand new model on eBay at really great price.
I came back to check something I wrote and it's a good thing I did. I'm a little dyslexic and I made a couple of grammatical errors but it's been some time since I wrote that so it wouldn't let me edit it. Here is the correction:
Also, and this is even more of a concern, is that we can no longer buy the modems from stores, nor from their site (which of course no longer exists), or call them up and have them mail a replacement. I totally lucked out w/ an almost brand new model on eBay at a really great price.
Funny how leaving out the word "no" and "a" makes a big difference. LOL. I usually try to go back to a post I've written to check if I've made any mistakes. It's frustrating and time consuming but I hate when I don't catch my errors. There's usually a mistake somewhere but I try to catch as much as I can. Dang this dyslexia

Old 11-09-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
All depends on where you are in relation to their towers. If you happen to live close to one you probably will do fine. If you end up living in a dead spot well they take little responsibility for that and won't give you a refund or let you out of a contract after an initial period of time even if you prove you have no reception there. I guess this adds extra importance to taking your setup with you when you go look at places to live to make sure you get a signal there.
I heard a while back about possible tower situations, but personally I never experienced anything bad. I didn't think it would be a problem only because it's cell towers, and that is really important/popular (not sure what word to use) and usually wide spread in a major metropolitan city.

When I eventually find a permanent residence I hope I don't end up living in a dead spot. Fortunately there aren't any contracts so I can easily cancel. Worse case scenario is I ride the month out and then cancel. But it's good you brought up this issue ... very important!

The only thing I don't like is when you sign up you have to go on auto-debit on a credit card. I never ever do that w/ any company, but I had to w/ Clear. Yeah, that's how bad I needed internet access

Old 11-10-2014, 02:29 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
What the f**k is a puck? Why don't you use Cox Cable?

Old 11-10-2014, 03:29 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,074 times
Clear's "puck" is a 4G mobile hotspot that supports up to 8 devices simultaneously. The originals were round - hence the moniker. Since being absorbed by Sprint, Clear no longer offers pucks for sale. I've got two pucks, an original and a second gen squared-off one. They work in the 3 cities I hang out in the most - LA, LV and SLC (service Cox does not offer). I stayed through the transition to Sprint because they retained the deal I had with Clear at the same price and with true unlimited data with no throttling.

Bill

Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
What the puck?

Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
I stayed through the transition to Sprint because they retained the deal I had with Clear at the same price and with true unlimited data with no throttling.
Personally I've never had a problem w/ Clear's speed. I know that's a big problem for a lot of people. As you mentioned, the "true unlimited data with no throttling" really can't be beat! Where I'm originally from, all local internet providers do *not* have data caps and their prices are inexpensive. I was just paying $20.89 per month including tax w/ Oceanic Time Warner. I was spoiled. Now I'm paying double w/ Clear, but I'm grateful to have an internet service that I can use where I'm at now and bring w/ me to Vegas. Fingers crossed I'll have coverage where I'll be temporarily living. I'll find out soon enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas