Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
@f.2 - So drivers can purchase that device if they feel the need to have such a thing. As far as the dispatcher; The problem isn't with the dispatcher, it's with the amount of drivers the Uber system has. Obviously the taxi cab network is larger so it can do more to maximize efficiency. That is not to say Uber could not do the same if it had as large a pool of drivers. As for the emergency system, that can also be purchased. Trying to say that these differentiate the two modes of transportation is disingenuous.
Not disingenuous. These are facts. u ber drivers are making one way trips all day, all night, with no expectation of getting a fare at their drop off point. What if city buses were one way? Henderson to the strip. Cannot pick up at the strip. Drive back to Henderson empty. Inefficient. Wasteful. fubar.

That is what u ber is. One way fares - and meanwhile you're racking up the miles to your next pick up. You could be driving all around the valley including Hendreson and Boulder (would you ignore a Boulder call?). Wasteful system. My biggest money days were when I made run after run to drop and pickup, meter stays down, money keeps pouring in. u ber? Not a chance. Robot cell phone dispatch. What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times
I'm actually not disagreeing with you that the Uber system is like that. That's because the problem can't be solved by technology, it requires having a large network of drivers. Something that Uber doesn't have. Until it displaces the cab driver pool significantly, such efficiency will simply not happen.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:11 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,787,186 times
i would think that the first industry that will see an impact from Uber will be the city buses. I would think more people would be willing to pay for door to door service that runs on their schedule vs. having to walk to the closest bus stop, having to be there by a certain time, hoping the bus is on schedule, possibly having to take more than one bus, then walking to your destination from the nearest bus stop, and doing this all in 100+ degree heat. Then having to do that all again in reverse.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
i would think that the first industry that will see an impact from Uber will be the city buses. I would think more people would be willing to pay for door to door service that runs on their schedule vs. having to walk to the closest bus stop, having to be there by a certain time, hoping the bus is on schedule, possibly having to take more than one bus, then walking to your destination from the nearest bus stop, and doing this all in 100+ degree heat. Then having to do that all again in reverse.
Buses are not a bad way to get around - once you have the schedule down. Taxis and u ber are no comparison to mass transit with respect to efficiency. Las Vegas heat is quite easy to acclimatize to. Very few residents actually attempt to do this each season.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM

I would like to live in an urban area with a fantastic public transit system and not have to own a car. Our cities in America are designed badly.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I would like to live in an urban area with a fantastic public transit system and not have to own a car. Our cities in America are designed badly.
I used the bus in Hawaii for a couple months, in and around Honolulu - got a monthly bus pass (purchased at the nearby 7-11). I could call a number, hit two single digit menu numbers consecutively, and enter the known bus stop number and find out instantly what time the next bus was coming. Online schedules. On time most of the time. It worked.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:00 PM

2,115 posts, read 1,787,186 times
Quote:
The Washington DC area fits the bill. While the system isn't perfect and the cost keeps rising, I would say that it would be quite easy to live here without a car and this even extends into some of the suburban areas.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,383,318 times
Quote:

@WildWest - Well that's part of a larger problem of employers exploiting Americans. So much of our economy doesn't make sense. We have a 10% unemployment rate but we're giving people 60+ hour work weeks. Do you know more about how the medallions are issued and what it costs to get one? Is there a yearly fee on it? Nobody seems to want to give me an answer here and it's rather hard to find the info online.
that's kept very quiet and can't give you an answer for sure. It could be that the companies pay next to nothing......

Its to the point where the companies are shooting themselves on the foot. They have taken out the reasonable income out of the drivers if they work less than 12 hours. In other words the companies take the bigger share of the meter/profit where drivers have to work 12 hours to make better money and make it worth it. 8 or 10 hours days would have less income for the driver unless they get a bigger share of the meter. If competition moves in things will have to change for the companies and the way they treat and pay their employees.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 11-13-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 12:19 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,383,318 times
.....any day now there should be a more final decision by a judge on Uber.......stay tuned

Old 11-13-2014, 12:27 PM

@f.2 - I was in Oahu 18 months ago on vacation. The bus system is convenient. They were making a tram to combat the rush hour traffic problem.

@WildWest - That's a big problem. There's no real oversight or audits going on. The industry demands artificial scarcity and then they hide the information we would need to make an informed decision to regulate that very industry. They've been having their cake and eating it for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas