Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:15 PM

635 posts, read 746,059 times

Advertisements

Croce...I just moved here and went in a few days ago to get a Nevada Driver's License and register my car in Nevada. Fill out the paperwork on the Nevada DMV site. Driver's license there is one form and vehicle registration there is one form. Fill them out, print them out and bring them with you. Make sure you have proper ID, you need two forms to prove who you are and your social security card. You also need two proof of address, utility bill, you can also use your Nevada auto insurance card as proof of residence if you your current Nevada address on it. Make sure you bring all the paperwork and proof of ID and residence with you.

Next do the "dash pass" it will save you time and frustration.

The process once you are at the desk of the DMV employee takes about 20 minutes. They go over all the paperwork, the only think I had to do was the vision test and it was simple. From what I was told as long as you had a valid driver's license in another US State you don't have to do anything but the vision test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Croce...I just moved here and went in a few days ago to get a Nevada Driver's License and register my car in Nevada. Fill out the paperwork on the Nevada DMV site. Driver's license there is one form and vehicle registration there is one form. Fill them out, print them out and bring them with you. Make sure you have proper ID, you need two forms to prove who you are and your social security card. You also need two proof of address, utility bill, you can also use your Nevada auto insurance card as proof of residence if you your current Nevada address on it. Make sure you bring all the paperwork and proof of ID and residence with you.

The process once you are at the desk of the DMV employee takes about 20 minutes. They go over all the paperwork, the only think I had to do was the vision test and it was simple. From what I was told as long as you had a valid driver's license in another US State you don't have to do anything but the vision test.
We took my stepdaughter when we moved here, and she had, I think, 3 speeding tickets in the past 3 years, so she had to take a written test as well. But the woman at the desk was very kind, and, while my wife and I were doing our paperwork, she had my stepdaughter go take her written test and come back. I've had licenses in different states, and have been to quite a few DMVs. In my experience, no other DMV was so efficient and friendly!

Old 11-24-2014, 10:23 AM

I also should note make sure if you are registering a vehicle in Nevada take a moment before you go and go to the Nevada DMV site. They have a fee estimator on their website. Do that before you arrive. It's better to have your heart attack at home then in the DMV office. The fees in Nevada are much higher than most States. Of course the DMV employee will tell you "well you don't pay income tax so it works out". Of course people who don't have a car or fail to register their car pay neither.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I also should note make sure if you are registering a vehicle in Nevada take a moment before you go and go to the Nevada DMV site. They have a fee estimator on their website. Do that before you arrive. It's better to have your heart attack at home then in the DMV office. The fees in Nevada are much higher than most States. Of course the DMV employee will tell you "well you don't pay income tax so it works out". Of course people who don't have a car or fail to register their car pay neither.
It's also because property tax on the vehicle (or however NV terms it) is paid at registration instead of annually. We moved from a state where the property tax on vehicles in the state's major city was $78 per $1000. If you buy a $20,000 vehicle, the first year's bill will be $1560. The state then devalues the vehicle at approx. 20% per annum, so your second year you get a bill for $1248, etc. NV is MUCH lower, even without taking into consideration our lack of income tax.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Raiderman...compared to most States it's very high in Nevada. There are only a few States with very high registration fees and Nevada is one of them. I've lived in WA, NJ and NY and Nevada is MUCH higher than all three of those States. I haven't lived in a State that has property tax on vehicles.
I actually bought a new car in NY prior to even knowing I was moving here. When reading the Nevada DMV site is says they can tax you for the purchase of the car even though it wasn't purchased in NV or at the time your weren't a resident. I was actually waiting for the DMV person to add on tax, that would have been an issue. But come to find out if the car is first registered in another State they don't make you pay sales tax in NV.
It's all a money grab anyway. We are the United States of America but in reality we are 50 separate countries. It shouldn't be such a hassle to move from State to State, make a national drivers license, like many countries. We could have a national vehicle registration, again like many countries...but again it's a money grab and States want profit.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Raiderman...compared to most States it's very high in Nevada. There are only a few States with very high registration fees and Nevada is one of them. I've lived in WA, NJ and NY and Nevada is MUCH higher than all three of those States. I haven't lived in a State that has property tax on vehicles.
I actually bought a new car in NY prior to even knowing I was moving here. When reading the Nevada DMV site is says they can tax you for the purchase of the car even though it wasn't purchased in NV or at the time your weren't a resident. I was actually waiting for the DMV person to add on tax, that would have been an issue. But come to find out if the car is first registered in another State they don't make you pay sales tax in NV.
It's all a money grab anyway. We are the United States of America but in reality we are 50 separate countries. It shouldn't be such a hassle to move from State to State, make a national drivers license, like many countries. We could have a national vehicle registration, again like many countries...but again it's a money grab and States want profit.
Agreed, it is a money grab. But that's what makes the world go 'round. I was just saying that, depending on from what state you moved, it can be a pretty substantial savings comparatively. Yes, each state is run differently, with different tax rates, but in our case (and those who moved here from my previous state), it is lower here.

A national driver's license is a great idea.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Maybe a tad off topic, but for those who transferred in from another state - was it strictly a paperwork exercise or did you have to take any tests? IE vision, driving, etc.
Quote:

You need title and registration. We used passports and existing drivers license for ID. If you are a couple you can put just one phone number in the system as they will process you together. I got the impression they prefer this.

Just vision for us as well. Text at the edges on our tester was fuzzy. Made it hard to read. Not sure if it was intentional or bad equipment. No test for peripheral vision like our previous state.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:25 PM

114 posts, read 120,054 times
What is this register your phone number with DMV business you speak of?? Tthat sounds fantastic! We have a numbering system here (like you would at the deli), and it honestly is very quick and efficient. Oh! and unlike the notorious NY DMV, the workers are actually helpful and pleasant. I may be getting ahead of myself here. First, can someone explain what the processes is in LV to register your car from another state? and What about changing your license? I did look up fees on DMV, but it was a bit confusing. For comparison, here is what we have to do in VA: you need insurance on the vehicle, the title (in VA you do not get a copy of your title if you have a lein on it, so I can't remember what they have you do if you don't have one), and you have to get a state inspection within 10 days. Registration amount is a flat rate, depending on what kind of vehicle it is (2 axel, 4 axel, commercial, etc. about $35/yr), and you have to pay personal property taxes every year, which is based on your car's value, as well as what county you live it, and it isn't cheap, unless you have a 10+year old car.

How does it compare in LV?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIS719 View Post
What is this register your phone number with DMV business you speak of?? Tthat sounds fantastic! We have a numbering system here (like you would at the deli), and it honestly is very quick and efficient. Oh! and unlike the notorious NY DMV, the workers are actually helpful and pleasant. I may be getting ahead of myself here. First, can someone explain what the processes is in LV to register your car from another state? and What about changing your license? I did look up fees on DMV, but it was a bit confusing. For comparison, here is what we have to do in VA: you need insurance on the vehicle, the title (in VA you do not get a copy of your title if you have a lein on it, so I can't remember what they have you do if you don't have one), and you have to get a state inspection within 10 days. Registration amount is a flat rate, depending on what kind of vehicle it is (2 axel, 4 axel, commercial, etc. about $35/yr), and you have to pay personal property taxes every year, which is based on your car's value, as well as what county you live it, and it isn't cheap, unless you have a 10+year old car.

How does it compare in LV?
The "dash pass" system is a new system the DMV uses. You can register by e-mail or text...I suggest doing the text message system. Go to the DMV site and see information for "dash pass"...it is an easy system to use. If you do not use the "dash pass" system and just walk in to the DMV you will regret it. The numbering system of waiting in line can take hours. When I got to the DMV there were over a hundred people sitting and waiting, not the way to go, use the "dash pass" system. By the way I just moved from NY State and the DMV experience I had there was great and they were friendly.

Yes as you said be prepared to pay much more than you did in NY for vehicle registration in NV.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:19 PM

37 posts, read 36,236 times
Sooo....what if you don't register your vehicle in NV and just leave it the state you came from? The reason I ask is that I plan on moving to LV in April and have a 2003 Ford Ranger with Michigan plates. Will there be any problem just keeping it with mich plates and reg or is there a legal time frame that it has to be switched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: