Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 5,275 times

Advertisements

Yellowsnow: Right?! If only I could sleep as much as she does. Complete couch potato.

LV10101: Good to know I'm not the only one hearing nothing back. Unfortunately a short-term rental isn't really an option, as I've got to get my dog out (And I'll never have a whole week off to make the drive).

Longton: I'll be working on the Strip, specific location will just depend on which show I'm working with that day/week/month. I'm flying out sometime this month to look around, then flying out mid-January to move the big stuff in before driving out with the pup.

Thanks for the heads up about recommendation letters for the pup; fortunately that should be the least of my worries as my previous landlords/vets all adore her, plus she's indoors and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 05:10 PM

635 posts, read 745,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I hardly think you need to worry about a community being gated.

Gates (unless guard gated) provide little more than a false sense of security anyway IMHO and you have a large dog. You should have very few worries in a decent area.

I doubt you will have much trouble finding something in that price range.

See if your vet will write your dog a letter of recommendation or provide one stating you appear to be a responsible owner and also a letter from someone you rent from now or current neighbors could be helpful but I doubt you will have too much problem.

Agree with Raiderman be prepared for costly upfront deposits.
Gates assist as a deterrent...if you have a choice between gated and not gated I think selecting the gated makes more sense. Also put up a beware of dog sign and a alarm sign, even if you don't have an alarm. I've been in the security business for over a decade trust me any added deterrent makes a big difference.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:46 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Gates assist as a deterrent...if you have a choice between gated and not gated I think selecting the gated makes more sense. Also put up a beware of dog sign and a alarm sign, even if you don't have an alarm. I've been in the security business for over a decade trust me any added deterrent makes a big difference.
I disagree. I am directly across from a gated community, and there is a line sometimes 10 or 12 long waiting to turn in. It can be an inconvenience, and all I have to do is follow a car in if I want to gain access. I think they give a false sense of security. Follow a car in, answer an ad on CL where a home owner gives you the access code, hell, just jump the wall if you want.

I tipped the guard at a guard gated community $10 to go "take a look around the neighborhood". Those were my exact words. I could have been anyone (I was looking at a potential neighborhood to live, btw).

Old 12-06-2014, 06:06 PM

Raiderman...A criminal looks for an easy target with less deterrents, a gated community is a deterrent. Look up the crime statistics between gate and no gate neighborhoods. It is clear that is functions as a deterrent, just like having "beware of dog" signs and "alarm" signs. Yes people can follow others in once the gate is open but a criminal realizes a few things; There could be CCTV systems set up at that gate entrance and exit. There is usually fewer ways out of a gated community...criminals like easy in and easy out. When you park in a multistory parking garage guess what floors have the most break-ins...the bottom floor, easy in, easy out. A criminal doesn't want to spend time being noticed trying to enter a gated community and possibly being captured on camera...why would they when there are plenty of neighborhoods that are not gated.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
Quote:
i completely disagree. all you do is follow the car in front in, or tap the gate.. it's a joke and it costs you more on your hoa dues..

if you want a gate, you need a guard gate…

period..

Old 12-06-2014, 11:20 PM

You can disagree all you want, but the lower property crime rate in gated neighborhoods would be considered facts not opinion. Please do some research on the subject. We are talking about deterrents, you are thinking about getting in to a gated neighborhood when criminals are thinking about how easy the target is. I'm not going to debate something that is proven with crime rate information you can look up.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:55 AM

687 posts, read 1,944,039 times
That dog would be a non starter for me. I rent nice places but no pets. Unless you can't live without him might be time to let Fido go.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:00 PM

66 posts, read 77,054 times
Would high-rises be an option?

You can find a nice unit in Panorama Towers or The Martin within your budget, assuming you're from more expensive city and ok living in 1000sqft or less. Those places are dog friendly, I have a small dog myself and have seen large dogs including Great Dane and retrievers. Also, you'll find more young professional neighbors around or a bit above your age.

Location is smack dab in the middle of the city - if you live in Summerlin or Henderson, you won't be in the other part of the city often. Here, everything is within 20 minute radius. Also you can walk to the Strip using the Harmon overpass. Sunset Park, Charlie Frias Park and Desert Breeze Park are all good and huge to walk the dog - within 5-15 minutes drive. It is sort of the location when you can't pick one.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
Quote:
You can disagree all you want, but the lower property crime rate in gated neighborhoods would be considered facts not opinion. Please do some research on the subject. We are talking about deterrents, you are thinking about getting in to a gated neighborhood when criminals are thinking about how easy the target is. I'm not going to debate something that is proven with crime rate information you can look up.

Police: gated communities can give false sense of security - 8 News NOW

Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
That dog would be a non starter for me. I rent nice places but no pets. Unless you can't live without him might be time to let Fido go.
Yeah, she's non-negotiable. The only time I'll let her go is when it's her time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-LV-NY View Post
Would high-rises be an option?

You can find a nice unit in Panorama Towers or The Martin within your budget, assuming you're from more expensive city and ok living in 1000sqft or less. Those places are dog friendly, I have a small dog myself and have seen large dogs including Great Dane and retrievers. Also, you'll find more young professional neighbors around or a bit above your age.

Location is smack dab in the middle of the city - if you live in Summerlin or Henderson, you won't be in the other part of the city often. Here, everything is within 20 minute radius. Also you can walk to the Strip using the Harmon overpass. Sunset Park, Charlie Frias Park and Desert Breeze Park are all good and huge to walk the dog - within 5-15 minutes drive. It is sort of the location when you can't pick one.
I haven't entirely ruled them out, but after seven years of apartment living, I'm pretty over it. Especially when I can get much more for the same price, I'm not trying to max out my budget for a one bedroom apartment (Plus people in elevators tend to get freaked out by my dog, even though she's about as aggressive as a teddy bear.) And as much as I love the idea of being able to walk to work, if a show runs late I'm not trying to walk home by myself at 2-3am, or being smack in the middle of the antics. I appreciate the information though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas