Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 03:05 PM

249 posts, read 331,406 times

Advertisements

Has anyone driven there recently? I'm wondering how the weather and road condition is? I have a 2-wheel drive Jeep Compass. Will I be safe driving w/ just a 2-wheel drive?

I haven't been there for a very loooooong time. I really don't remember what the drive was like to get there or to the ski resort. I'm excited to check it out and walk around in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 05:28 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Love View Post
I'm wondering how the weather and road condition is?
Nevada 511

Old 12-07-2014, 10:57 AM

66 posts, read 108,977 times
About a week ago it was snowing up there. Don't know how it is now.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyat62 View Post
About a week ago it was snowing up there. Don't know how it is now.
Cool, they did get some snow! Thanks!

Old 12-07-2014, 11:32 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,046 times
Ski area is not open yet really late this year but check before you go to the mountain conditions change real quick at those elevations.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:28 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Don't think you'd run into any snow on the roads right now. Check the hotline. But in a Jeep 4x4, you're usually OK as long as the idiots that don't know how to drive in snow stay home.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
But in a Jeep 4x4, you're usually OK as long as the idiots that don't know how to drive in snow stay home.
Buzz

The problem is that the idiots are driving those Jeep 4x4 and think that four-wheel-drive means they can do whatever they want on snow and ice. They don't know that even if they can get going, the 4x4 won't help them stop.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:05 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
My wife and I were on our way up to go skiing one time and we ran into a total road block just where the snow began. People were all over the road and it was such a maze of stupidity we never did make it skiing. So we went across the mountain to lodge for dinner instead. People were all trying to turn around at the same time. I got out a safe distance where I wouldn't get caught up in it, and started directing traffic. One guy in a Mercedes was actually headed down hill, but he wouldn't take his foot off the brakes and let the wheels roll. I kept telling him to take his foot off and he would roll right down the highway, but he just stared at me and kept sliding into the ditch.

I don't remember if it was that time, or another time, but we came out of the Lodge once and they were only letting those with 4 wheel drive go down the hill. They told everyone to keep one wheel off the road for more traction. That worked until I came up behind some id 10 t that decided to stop on the right side brim, block the lane, and put chains on. Not being able to stop, I had to put it in a spin, do a 360, and slide into the snow bank on the opposite side of the road to get stopped. Luckily there was nothing hard in the snow bank, and no one else passing at the time..

Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Also, OP says they have a 2 wheel drive Jeep.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My wife and I were on our way up to go skiing one time and we ran into a total road block just where the snow began. People were all over the road and it was such a maze of stupidity we never did make it skiing. So we went across the mountain to lodge for dinner instead. People were all trying to turn around at the same time. I got out a safe distance where I wouldn't get caught up in it, and started directing traffic. One guy in a Mercedes was actually headed down hill, but he wouldn't take his foot off the brakes and let the wheels roll. I kept telling him to take his foot off and he would roll right down the highway, but he just stared at me and kept sliding into the ditch.

I don't remember if it was that time, or another time, but we came out of the Lodge once and they were only letting those with 4 wheel drive go down the hill. They told everyone to keep one wheel off the road for more traction. That worked until I came up behind some id 10 t that decided to stop on the right side brim, block the lane, and put chains on. Not being able to stop, I had to put it in a spin, do a 360, and slide into the snow bank on the opposite side of the road to get stopped. Luckily there was nothing hard in the snow bank, and no one else passing at the time..
Whoa! That's the kind of stuff that makes me leery about driving up there, especially since I'll be alone. I really appreciate you sharing your story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Also, OP says they have a 2 wheel drive Jeep.
Yes, thank you for clarifying that.

A long time ago when I didn't live here, I drove up to the ski resort and the lodge w/ a rental car (mid size w/ front wheel drive). I remember the roads being clear and was surprised how easy the drive was. But I was also w/ someone so I wasn't really worried. And of course the road condition at that time was perfect! But that was then, and this is now. Being that I'll be alone, it's probably best to err on the side of caution and wait till spring or summer. I really can't risk being in the ditch just so I can walk around in snow. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas