Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,110 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Here's the skinny: I am looking to start completely over in Las Vegas. I am aware that this city eats people alive who come here with big dreams and little in the way of resources. I've been getting some cold, hard advice/caution from my brother, who has been living out there and grinding his way to a better life. So no illusions here. I'm willing to take a big chance.

A large part of my reasoning for coming there is a lack of life-long career skills. I was once a video editor in the long-long ago, before the recession made it all but impossible to make a living in that industry in the San Francisco Bay Area if you were not flush with connections and many more years experience than I had. I'd love to get back into that world but I'm rusty now. I'm looking to get into a trade, likely electrician, once I'm settled in. In the mean time, what I do have is 18 years of experience in the service industry. Obviously Vegas has no shortage of that kind of work, but it sounds like breaking into the good stuff (read: making $, not necessarily good as in fun or higher-level) can be difficult. It's all about who you know is a stereotype that seems to hold fairly true, from what I've been reading. I've worked in cafes, restaurants, movie theaters and retail, so pretty well-rounded there. Would that be worth jack? And is it true that one good way to break in might be to go out and meet people at bars and such, get to know the locals? I don't like using people to get ahead; I'm a pretty straight-up guy. However, if you're making friends and helping other folks out down the road in return, I suppose the system works....?

I've got about $1,500-$1,750 at my disposal when/if I roll into town. Seems like that should be enough to move into a decent studio or 1-bedroom in a dicey to decent neighborhood. I'm seeing and hearing that, at this time, a lot of places are practically begging people to move in; offering first month's rent for $99, waiving fees, etc., though I am cautious about scams and deals that are too good to be true. I'm looking to pay $600/month or less, based on what I expect my initial income to be. Low end, I know, but I'm trying to be realistic. I'm not expecting to get a place in Summerlin or anything that upscale, but I wouldn't mind. I have no fear of death (I have lived in and around Oakland, CA for many years, and yes, it is crazy), but I don't want to live in a war zone, either. I've lived in all manner of neighborhoods, and I find I'm most comfortable in something between. Ideally with youngish folks around, as I'm 32 and still enjoying a youthful lifestyle. I'm not trying to be a complete party animal anymore, though. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and near-death experiences.

One unpleasant stat that I know will limit me: I have no car. I have a solid bike, but it sounds like biking around much of the area is a death wish. So bus it is. I hear public transit there is...not good. Are there any neighborhoods around downtown/the strip that are not super sketchy? Because it sounds like that's generally some of the worst.

So that's the rub. I'd add a few random stats to the list, to give you an idea of where I might fit in: I'm social and good at meeting new people and making new friends, as I said. I'm also good at reading people, and expect that skill to be put to the test. I know how to put up walls when someone is trying to hustle me. I got suckered there once many years ago, making a bad call I'd never have made elsewhere; never again. I'm a pretty good-looking guy, so jobs that take note of that are on my radar, though I'm not in the best shape of my life, so no Thunder Down Under for me. I'm working on it! My beliefs are pretty civil libertarian in nature, so need for anyone to discourage me due to being from a liberal stronghold (this seems to come up a lot on these forums); I'm not like the typical Northern Californian. I'm not hardcore conservative, either. I'm registered Independent. I love guns, and look forward to living in an area where I can afford this hobby again (the Bay Area is unkind to gun owners, to say the least).

Most importantly, perhaps, I have nothing holding me back. I have no kids, and I just lost everything in about two months flat: my girlfriend, my job and my apartment. I have a positive and driven mindset, however, after recovering for a bit, and I am prepared to be a machine. I'm hungry, I'm fearless, and I'm ready for an adventure, even if it gets hairy at times. So what now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
I brought 10,000 with me and it wasn't enough........

It took me a year and a chance encounter to get into a trade. A friend of mine who knows a lot of people is in the electricians union now, but hasn't worked a day since. Only paying dues and taking classes. Work is slow right now. Stay where you are.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:13 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
bet it all on black

Old 12-10-2014, 05:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
That's not enough money unless you are willing and can accept help from your brother. Even then it's not enough money. Your brother is going to have to help you a lot.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:58 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
What kind of money are you looking to make? What hours do you want to work (we're a 24hr town)? Are there any kinds of jobs that you wouldn't take, such as physical labor, warehouse, etc? Are you looking for a long term position, or are you the type that hops around any time something that pays a little better comes along?

And yeah, if you don't already have a job lined up, you should stay where you're at while you put together some more scratch.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 PM

13 posts, read 27,537 times
I just left vegas after 3 years there... I can tell you that it will be virtually impossible to rent an apartment without a job for reference. You will need verifiable income. $1,500 to $1,750 is nothing. Who knows how long it will take you to land a job... Especially when you are from out of town.

I wish you the best but unless you move in with your brother and he can help you until you find employment I don't see moving to Vegas on a whim as a good idea.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,057,608 times
It is nearly impossible to work here with no vehicle. I could not do my job without one. Whatever you do, buy a car first before moving here. Considering your very limited savings, you might need it to live in if you do not land a job right away!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:50 PM

323 posts, read 428,525 times
Bus Pass is great. Better than a car. If the bus dont go there neither should you............lol.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 PM

66 posts, read 77,054 times
Since I moved from San Francisco, I know it's pretty rough there. Rents are screaming even in Oakland, and a lot of long time residents are being evicted as we speak. It's really crazy and protests are dialy occasion. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you can afford to live there, not anymore.

I think you have a better chance here, considering how BAD the prospect is in the bay area, and you seem to have the willpower to muddle through rainy days. Vegas is a tough place, but once you get on track, this is a great city to live.

That said, no car is a blocker. You'll probably want one as soon as you establish your life here, for so many reasons, so plan accordingly. Even when you have a death wish with cycling throuh the fierce traffic, you wouldn't want to be grilled in the Summer heat.

I don't say that's an easy way to go, but don't say that's impossible either.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2014, 11:28 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
I highly recommending NOT coming here with only $1500, but if you ignore all the advice above, then at least get a cheap, used scooter to get around. You'll need your own transportation, really. I'd also ask your brother if you could crash on his couch for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas