Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:47 PM

56 posts, read 84,420 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what is ID is needed to purchase a hand gun at one of the gun shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 02:52 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,368 times
If you go to a gun show and buy a gun, don't expect to walk out of there with it, it wont happen.
Its a 3 day waiting period.

So you hand over the cash, then you fill out the gun background check info...your state ID (Nevada I assume)...and then you wait the 72 hours.

Of course the gun show is over by then and depending if the retailer is in Vegas, they make you go to their store to pick up the gun. If they dont have a store in Vegas, they will send the gun to a FFL dealer where you can pick it up (that will also cost a little more money).

Old 12-11-2014, 03:40 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
So all those tv programs about a "gun show loophole" are just BS?

Old 12-11-2014, 04:31 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,368 times
Here,

read for yourselves...

Frequently Asked Questions | Crossroads of the West Gun shows

and here is the loophole:
http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article...as-4208818.php

and so....all the sellers in the show are dealers, therefore need background checks.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:59 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
Nevada Department of Public Safety

"After the potential firearm purchaser completes the applicable portions of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms' form 4473 (available from an FFL) the FFL is required to verify the identity of the potential purchaser by comparing the information they provide on the form to a government-issued identification document with a photograph and the person's name, address, and date of birth. A Nevada driver's license or identification card meets the needs of an identification document."

The private party loophole is often subjected to state laws and local ordinances that effectively limit the loophole for shows. Although the OP just asked about identification requirements, it is prudent to research the local and state laws--in some cases, bordering states have a whole different take on gun sales--for you, I would say California qualifies. Even in a private party sale, the seller is obligated to ascertain the residency and eligibility of the purchaser to possess a firearm. Whether or not that happens....that would be one of the more fierce points of the gun control movement.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
If you go to a gun show and buy a gun, don't expect to walk out of there with it, it wont happen.
Its a 3 day waiting period.
Only if you don't have a blue card.

And look for the blue card system (and the corresponding waiting period) to be challenged again soon - this time with a real chance of having it eliminated. Momentum has been building in the shooting community as well as among politicians to get rid of it. Both candidates for sheriff went on the record as being against it, although I don't necessarily believe that Lombardo will follow through. Burns would have.

OP, if you don't have a blue card already, you can see if there's a show in Pahrump, if you're stuck on buying at one. That's outside Clark County, and thus is not subject to the county's useless and expensive registration scheme. You could buy the gun there, then bring it home and walk it into Metro to register it - no waiting period. You could also buy from a private party that is willing to sell to you with just a NV ID, and then walk it into Metro. When I sell, I want to see a CFP or a DL and blue card, and most of the shooters I know require roughly the same, but not everyone shares those requirements.

But there's no real reason to go to a show to buy, unless you're looking for something rare or antique. There are more than enough local dealers to foster healthy competition, and the show pricing is seldom any better than you can find at retail or online if you're patient and look around a little.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM

402 posts, read 686,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
So all those tv programs about a "gun show loophole" are just BS?
that would be true.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
What do you need with a SEMI automatic handgun?

Who was that senator that was yelling that, making it sound like it was a fully automatic machine gun?

I wonder if anyone ever told him what "semi" automatic means.

Back in the late 60s or early 70s, a guy went to a store within the city limits and bought pistol, and that same day used it to shoot his o'lady. So to make sure THAT never happened again, the city of Las Vegas put the three day waiting period on handgun purchases. It took about five minutes for someone to point out that they could just go across the street into the county and get one. If the county has that rule now I didn't know it, but at least they held out for several years before doing it.

Anyone that thinks we don't already have gun registration has never purchased a gun in Nevada.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
Article four... I need one.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
I don't agree with the legitimacy of the 2nd amendment. I saw some kid walk into the In N Out on Ann/Centennial open carrying as if he's some cowboy a few weeks back and I was not happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: