Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 07:44 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times

Advertisements

It was announced by the LV Convention Authority that we have officially set a new record with over 40 million visitors.
They said that we had visitor number 40,000,000 on December 17th.

Great news for Vegas!

Now we have two more weeks to add on top of that number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 AM

66 posts, read 77,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
It was announced by the LV Convention Authority that we have officially set a new record with over 40 million visitors.
They said that we had visitor number 40,000,000 on December 17th.

Great news for Vegas!

Now we have two more weeks to add on top of that number.
I'll bring in friends from Cali next week and contribute to the tally.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
Good news for LV but lets hope this data is annualized and understood for future use. One thing to keep in mind is the convention business which is still growing is a big number of the 40 million. Lets hope LV has done their homework and many of these convention folks come back for just a visit or vacation. One big advantage is our room rates and what is offered at the properties which makes it great for visitors. I am also glad people are making LV more than just a gambling city and LV really grows the Retail and entertainment part of it.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Good news for LV but lets hope this data is annualized and understood for future use. One thing to keep in mind is the convention business which is still growing is a big number of the 40 million. Lets hope LV has done their homework and many of these convention folks come back for just a visit or vacation. One big advantage is our room rates and what is offered at the properties which makes it great for visitors. I am also glad people are making LV more than just a gambling city and LV really grows the Retail and entertainment part of it.
Couldn't agree more.

Las Vegas Stats and Facts

That website has a lot of great links to look at as far as how things are trending.

Conventions are definitely doing well and they are only going to get better. Mandalay Bay is adding about 500,000 square feet of space to their convention center, which already hosts an insane amount of events per year.
In addition to that, the LV convention authority has plans of doing a $2.5 billion addition and renovation to the Las Vegas Convention Center. This would be absolutely huge for the city... Especially considering the cost of it is being paid by visitors' resort fees when they stay here.
They are going to be demolishing one of the hotels by the convention center soon... I can't remember the name of the dang thing... But I would love to see that wasteland area west of the convention center get developed.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:47 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
I work in the convention industry, and it amazes me that conventions do so well here, when the cost is double or triple compared to other cities. The unions here rival Chicago. I can put on a conference in San Diego, Phoenix, San Antonio, etc, for about 1/3 the price. I am based in Las Vegas, but I work on conferences and conventions nationally. It is absolutely amazing to me that people are still willing to pay the unions 300%-500% more to do the same job as any of my freelancers or employees.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:57 PM

15,848 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I'm a bit surprised the convention business isn't shrinking. I was hearing how the internet was taking a bite out of it.

It comes up whenever someone discusses building a new convention center in NYC (which we need.)

Old 12-18-2014, 03:00 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm a bit surprised the convention business isn't shrinking. I was hearing how the internet was taking a bite out of it.

It comes up whenever someone discusses building a new convention center in NYC (which we need.)
NYC could definitely use a new convention center.. I would rather gnaw my arm off than go to the Javits one more time :/

The internet didn't drastically affect the conference and convention industry. We all thought it would, that people would use video chat, etc, instead of traveling, but that never materialized. People still like to get together.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
NYC could definitely use a new convention center.. I would rather gnaw my arm off than go to the Javits one more time :/

The internet didn't drastically affect the conference and convention industry. We all thought it would, that people would use video chat, etc, instead of traveling, but that never materialized. People still like to get together.
Yep... a lot of these conventions are hands-on... some type of product involved... especially the major shows.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Great news. I hope some of the money will trickle down a little!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Conventions are all about the attendees. People don't like going to conferences if they are not in Disneyworld or LV.

I'm in Tech and we hate it if there is a conference in Dallas/Houston. IBM conferences were great because they rented out the whole Universal Studios FL for two hours. I went on the tower of terror 5 times straight in 20 minutes.

My coworkers and I used to hit up all the models hired by exhibitors in LV conventions. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: