Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:02 PM

128 posts, read 183,271 times

Advertisements

Maybe it would be better if I only did my prerequisite courses in my current state and then take the actual Dental Assistant courses in Nevada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
If your going to school in one state check the qualifications to work in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 05:57 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,766,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
Do you know where I can find information about the Dental School?
The internet.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,287,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've always wondered how profitable the dentists are in this town, given I haven't been to a dentist here since I moved here 18 1/2 years ago, given the proximity to dental care in Mexico. In Phoenix, for 3 years, I never saw a dentist there either.

I'm not the only one who runs to Mexico for dental work, a few of my co-workers do likewise, either Tijuana or Algodones, 7 miles west of Yuma, with their 30-40 dental clinics there, with lots of Canadians down there for dental work, as well.

To open up a dental clinic in San Diego? Everytime I'm go to Washington Dental in Tijuana, the parking lot is packed with cars with California license plates! The last time I took the Mexicoach bus from Revolution, any number of seniors on that bus, all down there for dental work.

And Las Vegas? I've often wondered what impact this has had on the dental clinics in this city, opting for Mexico instead. Anyone know? Or is it too hard to measure? The greater distance is to their advantage?

I've even heard of those who go to Utah for dental work. Cheaper?
You are right. A lot of Las Vegans go to both Mexico and Utah, especially for serious (read expensive) work. But a lot more don't even know about that, and would probably find it too inconvenient anyway. I think most people are supposed to get their teeth cleaned once a year at least. I have to go three or four times a year for a couple of reasons. One being that not doing it often is dangerous for your heart, and I've had enough of those problems. I don't have dental insurance, and don't see why anyone does. Insurance pays so little it seems it is cheaper to be self insured.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe it would be better if I only did my prerequisite courses in my current state and then take the actual Dental Assistant courses in Nevada.
That might be a good idea because even if you are a full fledged hygienist you'd probably be required to at least take a test in Nevada, if not additional classes.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Do you know where I can find information about the Dental School?
Dental Medicine Home | University of Nevada, Las Vegas

BTW: If you are going to be a dental hygienist shouldn't you change your screen name to something less hard on the teeth?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Thank you would you recommend a Community College?
http://www.csn.edu/

http://sites.csn.edu/health/overview-dental.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Dental Medicine Home | University of Nevada, Las Vegas

BTW: If you are going to be a dental hygienist shouldn't you change your screen name to something less hard on the teeth?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:05 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,250,440 times
How long are you willing to wait to get in to CSN's program?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,766,319 times
Quote:
You are right. A lot of Las Vegans go to both Mexico and Utah, especially for serious (read expensive) work. But a lot more don't even know about that, and would probably find it too inconvenient anyway. I think most people are supposed to get their teeth cleaned once a year at least. I have to go three or four times a year for a couple of reasons. One being that not doing it often is dangerous for your heart, and I've had enough of those problems. I don't have dental insurance, and don't see why anyone does. Insurance pays so little it seems it is cheaper to be self insured.
I ended up going with Alpha Dental for that reason. $6.95 per month, but the procedures are around 60% off of list price. There is no limit to what you can have done, and no deductible. I haven't had insurance for many years, as I'm self-employed, and have never needed it, but decided to get medical and dental come the first of the year, as I'm in my 40s now. I know I need a deep quadrant cleaning (had the last one about 10 years ago). Normally they run about $1200-$1500 for all 4 quadrants. With Alpha, it is costing me $400.

I think discount dental plans are the way to go, rather than insurance.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:30 AM

I see what you are saying because on this site is says that I would need to take a exam.

Dental Assisting - Truckee Meadows Community College

Quote:
That might be a good idea because even if you are a full fledged hygienist you'd probably be required to at least take a test in Nevada, if not additional classes.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 AM

I see that it's limited seating but the Truckee Meadows Community College also offers the program and it doesn't say anything about seats being limited but this College is Reno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
How long are you willing to wait to get in to CSN's program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas