Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 03:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,682,941 times

Advertisements

I feel the same as Raiderman, because I am from the Northeast.

Anyways, living back in the Northeast I was always reading my annual town report.

Comparing to my old town, I think the police salary of non-supervisory police officers are really really high. In my old town, these officers were making around 70-90K. In this Henderson report it looks like every officer is making well over 110K.

Is it deserved? That's a different debate.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:26 PM

57 posts, read 60,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Nope, because I moved here from the NorthEast where everything was taxed, overtaxed, doubletaxed. supertaxed, etc. Here I have no income tax, property tax is INCREDIBLY low, sales tax is about average, just about everything is less expensive. So, no, I don't think they're overpaid, and, if my taxes are going up, I hadn't noticed. What taxes go up every year in Henderson to pay for the city employees, specifically? (honest question, as I haven't noticed anything getting more expensive)...
Yup, I came from Boston originally, they tax everything, this place is going in that direction. Small cities in MA don't have many public workers making 200k even with the corrupt unions. I guess they can always do like RI did, just claim bankruptcy when we have another down turn and cut all those pensions in half.

RE taxes will go up every year for quite a while now, and so won't the city fee's.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
I feel the same as Raiderman, because I am from the Northeast.

Anyways, living back in the Northeast I was always reading my annual town report.

Comparing to my old town, I think the police salary of non-supervisory police officers are really really high. In my old town, these officers were making around 70-90K. In this Henderson report it looks like every officer is making well over 110K.

Is it deserved? That's a different debate.

Of course it's not deserved, firemen are even worse, total scam job to the tax payers. Gov workers use to make less than the private sector because they got to retire early and got a real nice pension. Now they get paid 5 to 15 times the average joe with benefits only gov workers get, massive drop scams, sick time scams and still getting massive pensions while retiring early. I forgot the cadilac HC plans for them and their spouse for life.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,167,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrocktonBoxers View Post
Of course it's not deserved, firemen are even worse, total scam job to the tax payers...
I like when they put out fires and save lives.

_

Old 12-18-2014, 03:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,072,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Or, perhaps the problem is that the Average Joe is underpaid. Whenever the subject of wages comes up, people will fall squarely into one of two camps -- the people who want to see salaries increase, particularly near the low-end; and the people who want to see everyone (except for themselves, of course) make next to nothing.

A person's entire political outlook can be gleaned from how they feel about wages and wealth inequity.
That's true. The average worker is underpaid. I've had some of these crappy jobs and I worked harder for nothing than I have at jobs that paid 5X more.

Me personally I'm glad there are some people doing well here. And at least they aren't doing well by taking advantage of the average underpaid worker.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post

_

So don't the private sector ambulance drivers who get paid much much less and work much much harder. Not spending half their day at Costco, the grocery store and the Gym on the tax payers dime either like the so called firemen do.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
That's true. The average worker is underpaid. I've had some of these crappy jobs and I worked harder for nothing than I have at jobs that paid 5X more.

Me personally I'm glad there are some people doing well here. And at least they aren't doing well by taking advantage of the average underpaid worker.
You're not talking about cops and firemen right?

Because they sure and heck are taking advantage of the lower paid workers. I guess you haven't seen what a ticket the cops write, it's criminal. Coming from Boulder these dopy cycle cops were pulling people over all over the place after it just had rained out. Cars in front of me almost crashed to slow down to 40 mpg. What type of moron cop puts 10 cycle cops on a highway right after rain in Vegas? Your fired for being a moron. No I wasn't one of them who got a ticket.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post

_
What fires? Ahahaha scam job. A volunteer FD could do the same job at those 4 or 5 kitchen fires every year. Sending 2 fire trucks to every fender bender is just great, it's a scam job! Private ambulance workers do the job just as good, we don't need over paid people who spend half of their days shopping and working out on the tax payer dime.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:26 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,130,535 times
I need me a city job. Best I'll do in the union is 75k.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,827,676 times
The tax rate in Henderson has been the same for 20 years or so. The actual tax bill has gone down from what it was 8 or 10 years ago.

The taxpayer appears to approve of the salaries of safety workers though they appear to believe everyone else is over payed.

So this is pretty much a dead horse beating thread.

If we ever get to it the City of Los Alamitos where I lived in CA had a mixed force. Two paid and everyone else a volunteer. Worked fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas