Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:20 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times

Advertisements

Everyone has a "cause" about which they feel passionate. I, personally, just do what makes me happy, try not to cost anyone any money, nor do them any harm. One can get wrapped up in whatever the butthurt-du-jour may be, as is their right. But wouldn't you rather just live happily, instead of wondering who and what is "out to get you"?

No matter which choice you make, it is going to kill you. The death rate, last I checked, was 100%. So do whatever makes you happy until you end up on the brown side of the grass..

Old 12-21-2014, 02:22 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
Are there any large anti-GMO campaigns going on in LV? Are people aware of GMO's in LV, and more importantly are there any groups who care?
You could check with the "march against monsanto" las vegas group. They could hook you up with groups/causes that you are interested in. Also check out Meetup.com.

Check with some of the local health food stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts. They could give you information.

Pick up a free copy of "Natural Awakenings" and "In Light Times" that are free at many locations around the valley. The health food type stores usually have them, and Winco. There will be information in them that you seek. Look in the detailed monthly list of things going on.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
People forget the EPA is very strict in regulating pesticide in soil.
People forget that Monsanto is basically the farm team for the federal government:

Old 12-22-2014, 06:55 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
I would hazard a guess that many of those who oppose GMO crops are well-educated individuals.
Insanity doesn't limit itself to those with low IQs.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times
That doesn't prove fudging of soil test results so that Monsanto will have a backdoor pass.

I've worked for the US DOT before. At the time my boss was a private contractor project manager. He retired with a golden handshake from his company and immediately joined the federal as a division chief. This happens soooo frequently in government hiring.

Besides, aren't all those Monsanto haters Obama supporters? And do people not know that their retirement funds have investments in Monsanto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
People forget that Monsanto is basically the farm team for the federal government:

Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM

194 posts, read 148,779 times
Quote:
That doesn't prove fudging of soil test results so that Monsanto will have a backdoor pass.

I've worked for the US DOT before. At the time my boss was a private contractor project manager. He retired with a golden handshake from his company and immediately joined the federal as a division chief. This happens soooo frequently in government hiring.

Besides, aren't all those Monsanto haters Obama supporters? And do people not know that their retirement funds have investments in Monsanto?
Many of Obama's views I disagree with. I just like that most of what he does ends up pissing the average American off and I like that he's living lavish off of the dime of European Americans, which is a nice change to see. The fact that Monsanto is being disingenuous about what's really going on, the fact that they're hiding their technology from the public and trying to keep people ignorant should set off red flags for anyone.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:14 AM

More power to you in exposing Monsanto.

You should work on a rally and get a LV boycott on all non-organic food suppliers.

OK back to work sipping on my GMO coffee and eating my GMO bagel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
Many of Obama's views I disagree with. I just like that most of what he does ends up pissing the average American off and I like that he's living lavish off of the dime of European Americans, which is a nice change to see. The fact that Monsanto is being disingenuous about what's really going on, the fact that they're hiding their technology from the public and trying to keep people ignorant should set off red flags for anyone.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 AM

194 posts, read 148,779 times
Quote:
More power to you in exposing Monsanto.

You should work on a rally and get a LV boycott on all non-organic food suppliers.

OK back to work sipping on my GMO coffee and eating my GMO bagel.
That's that beef strogie.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 AM

848 posts, read 647,978 times
Quote:
I avoid all opinion pieces.

For facts, read what the Feds publish. Can't trust the Feds? Who can you trust? Some blogger or forum posts?

Here's one of hundreds you can find:

Comparative safety testing of genetically modified foods in a 90-day rat feeding study design allowing the distinction between primary and secondary effects of the new genetic event.

Comparative safety testing of genetically modified foods in a 90-da... - PubMed - NCBI
I will trust my own analysis of all sources of information; I am certainly not going to blindly trust what the government reports. Here is a report which identifies issues with GMO feed in animals: http://www.organic-systems.org/journal/81/8106.pdf.

Have you ever heard of the term regulatory capture? Several people have already submitted posts showing Monsanto's ties to the USDA.

Finally, if GMOs are not something about which we should be concerned, why does Monsanto spend millions to defeat measures which would require identification of GMOs? I believe consumers should know whether the food they are purchasing contains GMOs so they can do their own research and determine if they want to consume food containing GMOs.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 AM

I respect your concerns.

GMO is the last of my worries.

I run and bike over 150 miles easily each week. I avoid processed foods and eat lots of meat and produce.

If I die tomorrow, I am pretty satisfied with my life to this point. I have no bucket lists and against creating bucket lists. I have no financial target to achieve. My young ones are doing well in school.

A person like ScoopLV, might be analyzing everything he eats or watching every corner he turns just in case a terrorist is there. Thus he will give GMO a lot of consideration. Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
I will trust my own analysis of all sources of information; I am certainly not going to blindly trust what the government reports. Here is a report which identifies issues with GMO feed in animals: http://www.organic-systems.org/journal/81/8106.pdf.

Have you ever heard of the term regulatory capture? Several people have already submitted posts showing Monsanto's ties to the USDA.

Finally, if GMOs are not something about which we should be concerned, why does Monsanto spend millions to defeat measures which would require identification of GMOs? I believe consumers should know whether the food they are purchasing contains GMOs so they can do their own research and determine if they want to consume food containing GMOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: