Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:51 PM

6,377 posts, read 11,843,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You don't understand this stuff.

But read the this... Then tell me how I am exaggerating about Rocherster.

Rochester NY Snowfall Totals & Snow Accumulation Averages - Current Results

And if you can't apoligize....
You said it snowed every day. That's about half the days in winter. Yeah 99 inches of snow a year sucks, but nothing like what you make it sound like.

Why don't you just say what it really was instead of making us sound like the million residents of Rochester are at risk of dying from the weather every winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
You said it snowed every day. That's about half the days in winter. Yeah 99 inches of snow a year sucks, but nothing like what you make it sound like.

Why don't you just say what it really was instead of making us sound like the million residents of Rochester are at risk of dying from the weather every winter?
BS. You got nailed trying to put down my input. You are wrong.

Actually it did snow close to every day. And on many days more than once. Just did not meet their threshold.

Now you should shut up and go away...Rochester is one of the three or four most snowy cities in the US.

Fact. And in a worst case snow storm in Rochester you better have the right kit. Because you can end up dead. That is how it is...

Rochester has just over 200,000 people. The metro is about 800,000. All are good in snow.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 PM

6,377 posts, read 11,843,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
BS. You got nailed trying to put down my input. You are wrong.

Actually it did snow close to every day. And on many days more than once. Just did not meet their threshold.

Now you should shut up and go away...Rochester is one of the three or four most snowy cities in the US.

Fact. And in a worst case snow storm in Rochester you better have the right kit. Because you can end up dead. That is how it is...

Rochester has just over 200,000 people. The metro is about 800,000. All are good in snow.
So you are telling me the weather facts (which you referred us to) are actually lies and the guy who doesn't even live there anymore knows better? Ok, sounds reasonable.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 PM

393 posts, read 503,067 times
I knew we wouldn't have the snow that they thought. I wish they would stop long range forecasts!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 PM

635 posts, read 744,869 times
lvoc...I lived in Upstate New York and last winter was horrible. For people, like Willy, who have never experienced it they will never understand. We had snow on the ground from December until May, no joke. You literally didn't see the grass for months. It may have not snowed everyday but it snowed enough to keep it on the ground for months. Add in minus temps and extremely high electric prices and the word "suck" doesn't even cover it.

Weather can be extreme anywhere, Las Vegas can get to 110+ degrees during summer, if Rochester got that hot it would be an emergency for many more people than when it gets cold and snows. Las Vegas at 110 degrees is still emergent but it would be more dangerous for Las Vegas to have subfreezing temps with a lot of snow. People are use to what the normal weather is like. In either weather condition people do die that is part of the dangers of extreme weather but again Rochester is more set up for cold/snowy weather and Las Vegas is more set up for hot weather.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:04 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,108,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I live in Henderson, which typically doesn't get much snow even when other parts of the valley do. I recall a few years back (2010?) we got a good amount of snow and it was really havoc on the roads. I saw lots of cars on the side of the road, flipped around, a couple in ditches.

I remember there was some issue with the entrance to Anthem and people were sliding down the road.

I recall that the city (or county?) doesn't really have any snow removal equipment so that complicated the problem.
I remember that day. Accumulation was higher in Henderson iirc, driving south from around the spaghetti bowl to the Lake Mead Pkwy exit. There was an inch or less that stuck through the night and I was worried about a small hill exiting where we live, but it didn't freeze the next morning and it was like driving on saw dust - not slippery at all going slow. Surface temperatures must have been colder in GV.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:44 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,621,116 times
Rochester guy is popping the bottles a little early I see.
Come on now...
I lived in Wisconsin for 28 years... It's really not that bad.

I hope it snows tremendously so all the warm weather cabbies get freaked out and I get all the fares.

How awesome would it be to do donuts in a Crown Vic with foreigners in the back?? Buuuuut I'll behave.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 AM

635 posts, read 744,869 times
No offense to you Vegas Cabbie but there are many cab drivers out there that add to the danger of being out there.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Rochester guy is popping the bottles a little early I see.
Come on now...
I lived in Wisconsin for 28 years... It's really not that bad.

I hope it snows tremendously so all the warm weather cabbies get freaked out and I get all the fares.

How awesome would it be to do donuts in a Crown Vic with foreigners in the back?? Buuuuut I'll behave.
Milwaukee gets half the snow Rochester does. Madison a little more. Lake effect.

Who said it was that bad? You live with it in that part of the world. But you still watch the big storms...and generally you do not drive in them. In 1967 I think it was there was a storm of storms that shut the town down completely for 5 or 6 days. They kept four quadrant streets open by a snow plow every block and then just one lane. Ambulance service was to the nearest open street and then snowmobile to the address.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:28 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,108,828 times
Started snowing in Boulder around 7:00am when I was there. Very light, swirling on the ground.

_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: