Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

I get that there are useless degrees out there, but not everybody can work a STEM job either. There has to be something worthwhile for the non-STEM people, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Thanks for pointing out she is an instructor, not a professor (not even an adjunct professor).

I've only been familiar with adjunct professors in a business-school or engineering-school context. There the adjunct professor had a full-time private sector job and had been recruited to teach to inject real-world experience into the classroom.

For example, Andy Grove was an adjunct professor at Stanford Business School.

Andy Grove was employee #3 at Intel Corporation behind co-founders Gordon Moore and Bob Noyce. He rose to CEO and Chairman of Intel Corporation, was the author of college textbooks in both semiconductor engineering and management, and one of the most influential business leaders of the 20th & 21st Century. He escaped from Communist Hungary as a teenager, by himself, literally crawling underneath barbed-wire fences; he spoke not a word of English yet managed to graduate at the top of his class at CCNY with a BS in Chemical Engineering before getting his PhD from Berkeley.

In the context above, adjunct professors are great; but having an adjunct professor teach English 101 seems silly.

I also think having an instructor teach English 101 is silly.
My experience with adjuncts mirrors yours. One of my MBA adjuncts was the Director of Communications for a huge telecom. He could relate virtually 100 percent of the course material to real experience in his full-time job. Another adjunct was a utility company director of labor relations. Adjuncts, in the purest sense, bring real-world practices, successes and failures into the classroom and grind it against the models and theories--makes the learner think and solve instead of just following the recipe.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:32 PM

15,840 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I think I gave a good definition of a useless degree previously. I consider a degree useless if the only real career path that degree confers is to teach that subject in the same context/audience in which you were taught it. Basically where it has no outside application where someone can support themselves doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I get that there are useless degrees out there, but not everybody can work a STEM job either. There has to be something worthwhile for the non-STEM people, no?

Old 01-08-2015, 03:44 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Even if everyone had the knowledge/capacity to work a STEM job, there's not nearly enough demand for that labor.

The BLS estimates about 15M work in STEM fields, and even within that about 10% of those jobs are in mgmt or sales, where some likely come from other fields (MBA, marketing). By comparison, that's only about 50% more than the number of people unemployed, and about 10% of the overall workforce.

One can argue that it makes sense for one marginal person to seek a career in STEM for personal advantage, but as a practical matter, it cannot work for everyone.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:55 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
As pointed out by others the author of the story is an English Instructor at UNLV, not a professor. If she is currently pursuing her PhD at UNLV and is lucky enough to received a stipend while doing so, I think the stipend pays around $15-18K for the year. So I can see where she would need to have a second job to meet her expenses.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:23 AM

15,840 posts, read 14,472,390 times
She is teaching for them, so they should be paying her something. In point of fact, this is how the colleges supply themselves with cheap labor to teach the undergrads. I wonder if she would do better not teaching for UNLV, but getting a "real" teaching job somewhere else in the valley, either at the college or K-12 level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
As pointed out by others the author of the story is an English Instructor at UNLV, not a professor. If she is currently pursuing her PhD at UNLV and is lucky enough to received a stipend while doing so, I think the stipend pays around $15-18K for the year. So I can see where she would need to have a second job to meet her expenses.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
It's a win-win situation. A student can either choose to graduate early or start taking college courses while in high school. That's a potential 50-60 free college credits towards a bachelors.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's that common to have that many AP credits offered in high school. A technical high school I was accepted to said students could get up to 45 college credits over the course of 4 years. On top of that, depending on what major you're going into, some of those classes might not even count towards the degree. (For example, I took AP Physics, but it was the non calculus-based version. I'm in engineering, so I had to take the calculus-based version).

Plus, a lot of schools end up filling up your schedule with unnecessary classes. For example, with me, I tested out of Algebra I, so they put me straight into Geometry, but after I took Algebra II, they decided to put me into Precalculus rather than Calculus, just because I was a year younger. The Precalculus was the easiest class I've ever taken (I literally learned nothing in that class. I just showed up, slept in the back, and aced all the tests). Then on top of that, they spread out one semester of Calculus over an entire year, and two periods per day.

Out of all the AP classes I took, the only ones that actually saved me time in college were Calculus I and English. Maybe I'll be able to argue for 4 Biology credits, since the incoming Civil Engineering freshmen have that as the requirement, but we're only talking 10 credits out of a 134 credit degree.

Now, if they changed up the education system so that a typical motivated high school student could actually earn 50-60 college credits, or at least graduate early, that would be great, but unfortunately, that's not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas