Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,727 times

Advertisements

I can get by with over the air TV except I do miss Discovery, History, AMC and FX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 01:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
The channel line up includes most of what I'm looking for. If they add BBC America, that would cinch it for me. That lineup and over the air is all I watch anyway.

I would need a means of making it work with Windows Media Center. But I'm sure that can be done.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:40 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
If they had AMC, I'd be all in.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The channel line up includes most of what I'm looking for. If they add BBC America, that would cinch it for me. That lineup and over the air is all I watch anyway.

I would need a means of making it work with Windows Media Center. But I'm sure that can be done.

I would not count on it to be developed for WMC since its a dead platform and MS no longer supports it.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 AM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Since broadband is necessary to use any of the VOD/Streaming services, and the cable companies are the dominant providers of broadband service, how long is it going to take before they decide to jack up the price of the broadband service to make up the revenue they lose to people dropping their conventional video service (ie cable)?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
If they had AMC, I'd be all in.

This may cause Netflix to pick up the slack and rebroadcast AMC previous day episodes to stay competitive. Mad Men, Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead are so popular on Netflix is the reason they decided to pick up and continue the production of The Killing.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Since broadband is necessary to use any of the VOD/Streaming services, and the cable companies are the dominant providers of broadband service, how long is it going to take before they decide to jack up the price of the broadband service to make up the revenue they lose to people dropping their conventional video service (ie cable)?

Its already been going on for a couple of years. Cable broadband is all pure profit and they plan to collect as long as they can while they band aide the current system and spend nothing on expanding or upgrading. Comcast TWC are already enforcing the data cap system with overage fees and reinstatement fees when they shut you off. It wont be long before Cox goes beyond sending out emails when cable tv revenues drop to a all time low.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If the FCC classifies broadband as a utility (article) then companies like Google may be able to have access to infrastructure to lay their own backbone. This would essentially force prices down since Google has incentive to provide cheap high capacity service as cheaply as possible.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I'm sure they'd love to, but the capital cost is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
If the FCC classifies broadband as a utility (article) then companies like Google may be able to have access to infrastructure to lay their own backbone. This would essentially force prices down since Google has incentive to provide cheap high capacity service as cheaply as possible.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM

848 posts, read 647,978 times
I got my invitation for Sling TV today and signed up for the seven-day trial. I chose the base package which is priced at $20 per month. There are three separate add-on packages available at $5 per month each. I downloaded and installed the app on my PC. The interface is pretty good. I am currently watching an NBA game on ESPN, and the picture quality is good. There are no commercials; the ESPN logo is displayed indicating there is a commercial break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas