Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:53 PM

635 posts, read 744,869 times

Advertisements

You are not looking fully at the surrounding neighborhoods....just a small part to the South of the Legacy gates. That is not a rational comparison of crime if you do not look at all neighborhoods bordering the Legacy gates. But just with that small area you gave me here are the numbers;
Burglary: 2
Robbery: 1
Narcotics: 3

The crime is still higher even in that very small portion you mentioned but again still not a good comparison to all areas surrounding Legacy. You said that area would give a mirror image of Legacy but that is also not true; Legacy's property is larger than the area you gave as reference.

Furthermore look at Henderson Crime Search for actual statistics...not sure what Alert ID is but Henderson PD would have better stats I'm sure. If you look at Henderson Crime Search of the Legacy gated area and the non-gated area surrounding Legacy you can clearly see crime is higher outside of the gates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Raiderman...I looked at Henderson Crime Mapper for the Legacy and Grand Legacy. Here's what I found;
Inside the gates:
Burglary: 3
Assault: 1

Outside the gates (between I-215 to the South / Robindale to the North / Pecos to the West / Arroyo Grande Blvd to the East:
Burglary: 12
Robbery: 2
Assault: 4
Sex assault: 1
Narcotics: 6
Motor vehicle theft: 2

If you compare crimes inside the gates at Legacy and Grand Legacy to the surrounding neighborhoods it is clear there is far less crime inside the gates.
You are trying to hard. The rates on both sides of Wigwam are obviously close to the same. You don't see any difference until you get out of the two tracts.

I would note that LVCC is a limit case. A high end and well guarded tract buried in a bad neighborhood. If you want comparison you do similar neighborhoods in Summerlin or elsewhere...not a gem floating in a cesspool. Or try Lone Mountain...where you have lots of little gated communities buried in a largely ungated but very similar area.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You are trying to hard. The rates on both sides of Wigwam are obviously close to the same. You don't see any difference until you get out of the two tracts.

I would note that LVCC is a limit case. A high end and well guarded tract buried in a bad neighborhood. If you want comparison you do similar neighborhoods in Summerlin or elsewhere...not a gem floating in a cesspool. Or try Lone Mountain...where you have lots of little gated communities buried in a largely ungated but very similar area.
That was what I was getting at. If you broaden the parameters, you get apartment complexes and strip malls. Of course there will be more crime there. But if you look at the ungated residential neighborhood right across the street from the gated residential neighborhood, you're going to have comparable crime. Both neighborhoods are SFHs with homes of comparable size. The only difference is one has gates and one doesn't. And crime is virtually nonexistent in both.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM

Raiderman...I understand what you are saying but you have to take all the areas bordering the gated neighborhood to get fiar statistics. The neighborhood that you specified is smaller than Legacy and is to the South, which is going to be better than the neighborhoods to the East/West and North. Furthermore as I pointed out crime is still higher in that neighborhood you used.

We can say LVCC is not a common gated neighborhood but it does show crime is lower within the LVCC than in the neighborhood surrounding LVCC, the whole point I am trying to make. To really show the difference in crime you would want to take a gated neighborhood in an overall bad neighborhood to prove the point gates deter crime.

Again as I mentioned earlier there are plenty of studies and groups who believe gated communities are a crime deterrent...I think it is obvious. I guess we can debate this forever but the crime stats show less crime in gated neighborhoods than the neighborhoods bordering the gated area.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,134,711 times
A gated community in a bad neighborhood is just a bad gated community.

Onlyliveonce said it best earlier in this thread...rent/buy the area first then select the specific community within that area. There are about a dozen gated communities surrounding the entrance of Nellis Air Force Base. They are rough inside the gates as well as outside. With the exception of one gated community with an armed gaurd, tight security and a sign in roster. They run a very tight ship.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:27 PM

"A gated community in a bad neighborhood is just a bad gated community."...that makes no sense.

I have been in LVCC numerous times and to say the least it is night and day difference from outside the gates. If a gated community is just as bad as the bad area outside the gates you have to question why people live there and why they don't become more proactive and fix the issues.

Also can you please give me the gated areas you were looking at in the Nellis Air Force Base area?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
Quote:
"A gated community in a bad neighborhood is just a bad gated community."...that makes no sense.

I have been in LVCC numerous times and to say the least it is night and day difference from outside the gates. If a gated community is just as bad as the bad area outside the gates you have to question why people live there and why they don't become more proactive and fix the issues.

Also can you please give me the gated areas you were looking at in the Nellis Air Force Base area?
Want a good counter example? Try the Villas at Desert Shores. That is a condo complex at the northwest corner of Desert Shores. At various times they are just gated, guard gated or armed guard gated. Compare with the neighborhood in which it is embedded. Mar-a-lago just down the block would make a head to head though it is also gated.

The problem of course is who is inside the gates...

Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Can you give me the crime statistics you found for both of these areas...from what crime mapper is showing crime is low in both areas and if both are gated what is your point???

Furthermore no matter if you are in a gated community or not the neighbors can still be a problem.

Again talking about deterrents and crime it is obvious there is less crime in gated communities.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,134,711 times
Quote:

Next time I am in the area I will post the names of the communities. Do you honestly think the area around Nellis Air Force base gated communities versus non gated is night and day? Crime even spills over to on-base housing and that is the most secure community in the entire city. That area is my old neighborhood and I can go in detail about the goings on in the area.

There really is no exclusivity in the gated communities in that area.(with the exception of one or two). That area is just too concentrated with low income, violence, crime, homelessness, drugs, Wal-Mart and weekly rentals. The Base commander banned us military folks from patronizing businesses in that area for a reason. Now it's just highly encouraged not to visit establishments.

Gates are a deterrent for the riff raff outside of the gates but what's the deterrent for when the riff raff is in the gate?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Again show me the crime statistics and names of the gated communities. Even in that high crime area near Nellis you still admit there are one or two that don't have high crime, again proving my point. Again not all gated communities are the same, yes I'm sure there are gated communities that have crime...the same amount as the non-gated area outside the gates I would be more than surprised. So please give some more details into the facts you are providing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas