Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:06 PM

128 posts, read 183,506 times

Advertisements

Well I personally would also like to escape the winter. People should know that they can't just up and move without having a plan. I know that it's nearly impossible to already have a job lined up. I currently work from home though so I would likely be doing the same if I decide to move. But I would still think it makes sense to have money saved up whether you have a job or not when moving to a new state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What is it about this place that makes people so damned determined to move here?

I'm not talking about Raiderman or MacGeek or any of the east coasters that came to escape winter. That, I understand.

We get a lot of people that want to move here with no job lined up and their goals in making the move don't come across as well-defined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What is it about this place that makes people so damned determined to move here?

I'm not talking about Raiderman or MacGeek or any of the east coasters that came to escape winter. That, I understand.

We get a lot of people that want to move here with no job lined up and their goals in making the move don't come across as well-defined.
It's the allure.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:33 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Yep. Von's pic kind of looks like candyland or the city of Oz. I can see the allure. People want to come here for the same reasons we came here I suppose.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:36 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycupcakes View Post
This would also apply to Reno as well?
Reno is very different from Las Vegas . Northern and Southern Nevada might as well be different states.

I'd ask on the Reno forum.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 PM

47 posts, read 66,609 times
Christ, everyone on these forums is so down on people who want to move to Vegas. What's the problem? We did.

Of course you should move to Vegas if you like the place. I love it. You just need to think about the things you'd think about if you moved to ANY new city. What sort of neighbourhood are looking to live in? Should you apply for jobs BEFORE you come? (you could probably get a couple of days spare to jump on a plane to have an interview, or do a Skype interview - I think most potential employers would be very accommodating in that respect if you explain that you're moving.) Check out the local job market beforehand to get a sense if you're skills are needed. Oh, and look at schools for your kids.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:02 PM

128 posts, read 183,506 times
Wow look at that it's beautiful I can't wait to visit soon. Thanks for posting this picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
It's the allure.

Last edited by Candycupcakes; 01-11-2015 at 10:12 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 10:54 PM

635 posts, read 746,230 times
Do a lot of research and have a very good idea of what to expect. There are numerous discussions on what parts of Las Vegas are good to live in, listen to them. It is not easy to get a job prior to moving here but depending on what you are looking for it is possible. You should no the job market for the job you want to find. Also if you do move here without a job you need to have a lot of money saved up for expenses until you find a job. We had multiple thousands of dollars when we moved here and it took about 1.5 months for my wife to find a job and two months for me to find a job, both have many years of experience in our fields. You will burn money fast when you move here...from temporary housing, to rental deposits/fees and the dreaded DMV fees. We have lived in many areas in the US and I will say Las Vegas is one of the hardest places to move to and get set up...there is a lot of money grab from different companies around here, so again be prepared. Also overall Las Vegas pays LESS on average for many jobs, so again be prepared. Also the idea of moving during summer, not the best idea...wait until fall/winter and then get some acclamation to the weather as it warms up.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
Christ, everyone on these forums is so down on people who want to move to Vegas. What's the problem? We did.

Of course you should move to Vegas if you like the place. I love it. You just need to think about the things you'd think about if you moved to ANY new city. What sort of neighbourhood are looking to live in? Should you apply for jobs BEFORE you come? (you could probably get a couple of days spare to jump on a plane to have an interview, or do a Skype interview - I think most potential employers would be very accommodating in that respect if you explain that you're moving.) Check out the local job market beforehand to get a sense if you're skills are needed. Oh, and look at schools for your kids.
I don't think we're down on people at all, just the opposite. We're trying to give tips on how to come here and not end up on the corner of Washington and Main. With a little preparation, moving here can be a cinch. But without planning, just like a move to any city, it could be disastrous.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Maybe one of these days I will gather up all the "Las Vegas ruined my life" threads and make a thread about those. We have quite a few. Davie just started posting again on this forum so maybe(I think he is moving back), maybe he can shine some light on how difficult things can get in this town and how he has prepared for his return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas