Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Those are the people that I love to drop my car into "Engine braking" mode on which slows my car substantially without lighting up my brake lights. The looks on their face is priceless.
Why would you do that? It's a very unsafe way to operate a car. You're endangering your own life, and the lives of those around you. And why? To teach a bad driver a lesson?

That falls into the "fornicating for virginity" category.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
We have laws already that would eliminate many of the traffic problems if people would obey them. I go out and I obey the speed limits and don't drink and drive and don't text while driving, I stop at stop signs and red lights, use my signal when I turn or change lanes etc ............

If everyone else would do the same than there would be essentially no accidents or traffic problems regardless of what lane you are in etc.

It is when jack-holes doing 30 MPH over the speed limit come flying up on me flashing their lights expecting me to alter my driving behavior for their self absorbed needs that problems begin to arise. These people don't care that I am in the process of overtaking another vehicle and therefore I can't move to the right so they instead think it is cool to ride a foot from my rear end flashing their lights and honking as if they are more important than anything else on the road. Those are the people that I love to drop my car into "Engine braking" mode on which slows my car substantially without lighting up my brake lights. The looks on their face is priceless.
This is why you should take a defensive driving course. To better understand the only purpose of lights on a vehicle. They warn others to protect you. 90% of the time That I am driving in the valley, I have kids in the back seat. 99% of the time I will let anyone that wants to get in front of me, get in front of me.

If someone is coming up from behind doing 50mph, I am getting the hell out of the way. I can find out about them later on the 10pm news. I have already known two coworkers die on the roads of LV in under six years.

(I'm sure you are joking about that E-brake stunt though)

Old 01-12-2015, 08:05 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
You sort of ought to be careful messing with people these days.
A few years ago I got into the turning lane to turn onto an on-ramp to get on the highway. There was a minivan stopped in the middle of the turning lane. There was a stop sign, so I waiting a bit for him to go. After about 30 seconds, I honked the horn. One short burst just to get his attention in case he was on the phone, or maybe he thought it was a red light. This made him angry. He spun out and hauled donkey down the ramp. I stopped for a second at the sign and went down the ramp too. He slowed way down, and got beside me. I sped up, he sped up. I slowed down, he slowed down. I was in a car that was typically pretty fast. Today, however, it decided that it was a great time for a short in the coil wire to cut my power. I could cruise, but if I tried to accelerate, the wire would move back and short on the valve cover. No bueno.
There were no exits coming up, no other traffic, just me and this dude. Crap.
I pulled over onto the median, and he pulled over behind me. I was going to let him get out, and take off to get a little distance on him. He just sat there. Then I saw something shiny in his hand. Oh, crap, he's got a gun.
I took off. I had that damn car floored and it wouldn't do a single mph above 80. He caught up quick, and stayed at my side. He rolled his window down, I slammed the brakes. I came to a stop in the lane. He backed up, and I drove forward. As I did, the bastard threw a red bull can at my window, then sped off.

This could have ended up so much worse, and I wasn't even being an ass about it. I honked the same as anyone else would have in that situation. I didn't flip him off, I didn't lay on the horn, I didn't swear out the window.
People are crazy and potentially dangerous.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
I had a guy pull that kinda garbage on me one time as well EA. I slowed, he slowed. I sped up, he sped up. I turned right, he turned right etc etc etc. The only time he didn't turn left when I turned left (even though he was in the left turn lane right behind me) was when I made the left turn into the L.A. County Sheriff's Station parking lot. For some reason he decided to just keep going straight ahead that time. All totaled he mimicked my every move for a good 20 minutes and probably 12-15 miles.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
(I'm sure you are joking about that E-brake stunt though)
I have only done it a couple of times.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 PM

Had I been in town, that is exactly what I would have done. In fact, I have done that very thing. Nothing stops someone like that quicker than parking in front of the police station.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 PM

122 posts, read 123,828 times
Here is a montage of ads they have on TV here in Australia.

Most Powerful Drink Drunk Driving Ad (Chills Aust…: http://youtu.be/7l5Wa94ynss

Do you have similar campaigns in Nevada?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
143 wrecks in 10 hours. Clearly, driver's education is not adequate.

143 wrecks reported in 10 hours because of rain | Las Vegas Review-Journal
I read some tweets about some accidents in Las Vegas. But 143 in 10 hours? That's crazy. Seems like there's been quite a few wrecks on the freeways and highways lately out there. Be safe out there!

-Cheers.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM

Oh, that number jumped up to almost 300 wrecks.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 PM

122 posts, read 123,828 times
And here are another couple of ads that are quite compelling

"Kombi" Night Shift TAC TV ad: http://youtu.be/V4mvtNU32kQ

"Mum in a Hurry" TAC's anti speed TV ad: http://youtu.be/CWwbAgmE3N4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas