Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaWestCMH View Post
The installer said it was fiber. I suppose that could be a lie, but I'm not using a cable or DSL modem.
This price list says that they do 40Mbps to 1Gbps over fiber, and speeds up to 40Mbps over (what I think is) VDSL2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:58 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
This price list says that they do 40Mbps to 1Gbps over fiber, and speeds up to 40Mbps over (what I think is) VDSL2.
Interesting. I wonder if everyone that has 40Mbps fiber has the option or near future option for gigabit service.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:59 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Hopefully other TV providers will follow suit. It's not a la carte, but definitely a step in the right direction.

Verizon to offer custom pay TV with monthly bundles

Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Did they actually connect to your house using fiber, or is it just that their marketing is confusing? I believe the only true fiber is their gigabit fiber service which is 1000 Mbps and available to about 0.2% of the valley.
Centurylink advertises fiber service (mainly in connection with or to promote Prism) but the fiber is only to some community distribution point. After that, its copper to your premise. In order to get the 40 mbps they advertise, you need to have "new" wiring in your neighborhood. If you are in an older neighborhood with older lines or they just can't get 20 mbps on your line, they double up by using two pairs of copper to your home. Now, if your lucky to have had fiber installed to your premise, they will use it and your speed will be at least 100mbps. If you have 40mbps or less, you are not on fiber to the premise.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:31 PM

949 posts, read 788,182 times
I just got COX 15mbps service (internet essential). They recently upgraded it to 15mpbs. If you are a single person household 15mbps is fine for watching streaming video (Netflix, etc.). The problem I've found is with plain old web surfing. COX is obviously throttling the data stream by dropping packets, forcing large number of retransmission requests. On Windows, one can easily watch the system TCP retransmit requests as a page loads. I tried tweaking the max connections on IE (I believe it's 10 for IE 11) and left it set to 8. That helped a small bit, but I eventually had to turn on IE's ad blocker (they call it tracking protection). Now web surfing is acceptable, but no ads. Same results with Firefox and Opera.

So it's a bit ironic that COX states you should pay for the Internet Preferred service to watch streaming video, but Internet Essential is fine for web surfing! They've got it backward because even HD streaming video requires less than 15mbps and because it is streaming, the packet send rate will not exceed what is required (unlike a bloated web page that establishes the max connections allowed, then all that data gets pushed back to it exceeding the 15mbps speed causing COX to throttle it back by dropping packets).

I'm going to try CenturyLink at the end of my one year commitment given COX will raise my monthly rate from $35 to $52. I'm thinking CenturyLink's 10mbps service should be as good as COX's 15mpbs for web surfing. What scared me off was all the complaints about CenturyLink where some where never able to establish service, but still had to pay for it.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:47 AM

243 posts, read 238,077 times
I dumped the phone portion and cable tv/dvr boxes years ago and don't miss it. I do however use their highest broadband tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: