Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:50 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,674,070 times

Advertisements

In particular, the nooks and crannies all along the strip.

Need interesting insights into different areas of the strip if there are any....

for example, some famous mobster got killed or shot dead at this very spot..etc etc

also interesting way points along or to the sides of LV blvd.

get what i mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:33 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,802,310 times
If you're interested in the mob, this is your month:

Mob Month

I'll bet there'll be plenty of experts at these events willing to chat about your interests.

Bill

Old 01-16-2015, 01:36 PM

That was just an example.

Looking for interest facts. Doesn't have to be mob related.

I am willing to compensate this person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
If you're interested in the mob, this is your month:

Mob Month

I'll bet there'll be plenty of experts at these events willing to chat about your interests.

Bill

Old 01-16-2015, 01:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,957,735 times
On the Strip? The Strip had little regard for history in a city with little regard for history. We don't preserve it, we tear it down. And the Phoenix emerges from the ashes, bigger and better than ever. The Tropicana is still there and the old IP but there is not much old on the Strip.

Much more history on Fremont Street. And check out Champagne's Cafe on Maryland. The Mob and Neon Museums too.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:52 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,952,848 times
You're going to have to do your own legwork. If there was a source for the information you want (living or printed) there would be "Where the Bodies are Buried" tours of the Strip/and/or/Downtown. I doubt anyone would sell you this information because it would be better to monetize it as a business.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,130,506 times
Is there a such thing as local mob tours?

A tour guide that takes you to the homes of old mob bosses, hitmen, and the the street corners or restaurants they were strangled in.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:08 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,952,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Is there a such thing as local mob tours?

A tour guide that takes you to the homes of old mob bosses, hitmen, and the the street corners or restaurants they were strangled in.
This is the business model for Literary Tours and Ghost Tours, which are popular tourist attractions in most of the cities I have visited.

If I were to do that here, I would work the Ghost Tour angle -- we don't have a literary history to speak of and the town is primarily visited by the superstitious.

Again, if I had this knowledge, I wouldn't sell it. I'd be out on the street with a lantern telling tourists spooky BS ghost stories.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Scoop you got some location and stories?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,802,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You're going to have to do your own legwork.
Agreed. The info is out there, but it's in bit in pieces in old articles and books. A few websites have compiled limited summaries. There's no one book I've found which pulls it all together well. Most of them go for lurid sensationalism rather than details.

I've done some research as I have a morbid fascination with the mob. My Grandfather was an FBI agent working Mob cases out of California. My LV condo just happens to be built on an infamous Mob site. When I have visitors with me in LV I enjoy showing them where things went down.

The Mob Museum and the Mob Tour are good places to start for neophytes - but I did not see anything I didn't already know about.

Bill

Old 01-16-2015, 02:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,957,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Agreed. The info is out there, but it's in bit in pieces in old articles and books. A few websites have compiled limited summaries. There's no one book I've found which pulls it all together well. Most of them go for lurid sensationalism rather than details.

I've done some research as I have a morbid fascination with the mob. My Grandfather was an FBI agent working Mob cases out of California. My LV condo just happens to be built on an infamous Mob site. When I have visitors with me in LV I enjoy showing them where things went down.

The Mob Museum and the Mob Tour are good places to start for neophytes - but I did not see anything I didn't already know about.

Bill
We have people right here who need to interviewed about their past. They are getting old and I hate it that they might die without leaving their war stories and narrative histories. I have tried to get Bonnie of Bonnie Springs to talk...but no luck. She's over 80!

When I was on my endless jury duty there was a fascinating witness who testified on the spoiliation of evidence. And that's a real word! He was an FBI agent back in the day and worked on all those famous cases here and in NYC. I would love to take him out to dinner and just let him talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: