Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM

21 posts, read 33,236 times

Advertisements

Just bought a house in Vegas and looking for a good tile installer for 24 x 6 inch ceramic tile/planks. I found tile at a place that does not do any installations. I'd prefer a one stop shop where I can get the tile and have the same company do the installation, if possible, or a highly reviewed installer that does good work. Price is always important, but quality work is more important. I'm figuring on $3/sf for install and remove a wood laminate floor.

Anyone have good work done and recommend a qualified tile installer? Really appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
I would stick with Home Depot or Lowes for subcontracted installs. Any problems you can ***** to them and they actually refund you for the whole install cost!

This has happened to me and I was shockingly suprised. Mega corporations losing a few thousand in refund is nothing to them and never personal.

On the other side of the coin, you will risk hiring craigslist crooks and illegal workers waiting outside Home Depot.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
I wouldn't let Big Box installers anywhere near a tile job. "They screwed up and refunded my money" is hardly a glowing recommendation.

Better to get the tile crew who won't screw up in the first place. And there are two users here who have used the same local company three times now and posted glowing reviews. This is easily searchable.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:15 AM

9 posts, read 9,628 times
I used Affordable Flooring & More for 3 projects and would highly recommend them. Fair prices, good selection, hard workers. They're also willing to give a cash discount and stand by their work for a year. On my second project, when the owner came by to do the final inspection, he noticed a baseboard that wasn't 100% straight. I didn't even notice it but he insisted on sending his guys back to fix it. Affordable Flooring & More - Chinatown - Las Vegas, NV | Yelp

Old 01-19-2015, 11:39 AM

526 posts, read 832,760 times
Contact Wayne Prouty, 702-278-3137
His Company: FKR Corp. does superior work
Installed about 1k sq. ft of 22" tile for me ( and removed carpeting).

Sent in 5 guys and it was completed in 3 days.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
do people use cement board at all these days?

when i did my bathroom, the whole process took about a week and i doubt very much most of the pros would do as good a job

most of the time taken up was letting thinset dry/cure and then letting the grout dry/cure, then applying grout sealer and letting that dry/cure and reapplying that

Old 01-19-2015, 08:59 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I wouldn't let Big Box installers anywhere near a tile job. "They screwed up and refunded my money" is hardly a glowing recommendation.

Better to get the tile crew who won't screw up in the first place. And there are two users here who have used the same local company three times now and posted glowing reviews. This is easily searchable.
Absolutely. I'm actually in the process of completely redoing a shower right now and had Lowes approach me while in store about giving a free estimate for them to do it. They never showed. No call, nothing. Got curious, looked online and that's basically the norm. And when they do show and actually do work, it's typically pretty bad and more often than not a complete nightmare.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
do people use cement board at all these days?

when i did my bathroom, the whole process took about a week and i doubt very much most of the pros would do as good a job

most of the time taken up was letting thinset dry/cure and then letting the grout dry/cure, then applying grout sealer and letting that dry/cure and reapplying that
Cement board is the standard. So is thinset. I even used redgard before the thinset. Basically just cures into a hard waterproof membrane across the entire concrete board.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Absolutely. I'm actually in the process of completely redoing a shower right now and had Lowes approach me while in store about giving a free estimate for them to do it. They never showed. No call, nothing. Got curious, looked online and that's basically the norm. And when they do show and actually do work, it's typically pretty bad and more often than not a complete nightmare.
Tadtam has the info you need. A few posts up.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM

21 posts, read 33,236 times
Really appreciate the info guys! Closing is 2/18, and I just scheduled another trip this Sunday to finalize the flooring. I would never use the big box stores for the tile install. I found a tile I like but will be checking out a few more stores when I'm there including Affordable Flooring as mentioned by Styrchn (Scoop is this who you meant by "have used the same local company three times now and posted glowing reviews. This is easily searchable?") and NuLook Floors who have very good reviews. If I'm set on the tile I already like, where the store does not do installations, I could use Wayne Prouty as Tadtam mentioned. Mainly looking for a good, clean install. The thing about Vegas I'm learning, especially when it comes to real estate people, is that there are a lot of "slippery" people in the valley, and am trying very hard to stay away from that type for the work I want to get done in the house.

Scoop, I did search before posting and yesterday. I saw you highly recommend a guy in Henderson, I think named Shak, back in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas