Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times

Advertisements

I dont think the humidifier would bring bugs unless it drips a lot like the old school ones. If that happens then yes the roaches will come. I have to get around my water meter sprayed every month. Its a great idea to get one. The desert dryness does a Number on skin. Lotion Lotion Lotion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 03:27 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
I'm glad that I found this thread. Saved me from creating another one. I'm having real hard time sleeping at night. I wake up with my throat so dry that I can't swallow have to get water or honey. Also dry nose etc. Then the next day I feel like crap.

I'm going to try a portable humidifier in the bedroom and see if that works. Where is a good place to buy these in Las Vegas?

Also is the warm mist the best?

Last edited by jet757f; 04-21-2015 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 03:31 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Thats a great cooler and all but a little useless this time of year. If the OP owns her own home, she can consider adding a central humidifer to the hvac unit, such as we did.

Our hvac thermostat also has a humidity setting built into it, I keep it at 40% and am happy with that, although some prefer more and some prefer less.

What is the cost on adding this to an existing system?

Old 05-06-2021, 07:58 AM

1,086 posts, read 746,402 times
Anybody have a humidifier as part of their HVAC system? Like? Dislike? Our Vegas house has an old HVAC and old humidifier system. Thinking to replace HVAC. One contractor quoted with humidifier ($4k more) and one said to skip it. Curious what the norm is.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:42 PM

188 posts, read 358,215 times
I run a humidifier in my bedroom every night. It helps, but I still wake up with a dry throat many times. No bugs from that, but I have heard a swamp cooler can attract them.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:04 PM

222 posts, read 385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Anybody have a humidifier as part of their HVAC system? Like? Dislike? Our Vegas house has an old HVAC and old humidifier system. Thinking to replace HVAC. One contractor quoted with humidifier ($4k more) and one said to skip it. Curious what the norm is.
We installed an Aprilaire whole home humidifier this January when we couldn’t take the winter dryness anymore (indoor humidity was averaging less than 15% in the morning once the furnace ran to heat things up). We both have dust allergies and get a lot of sinus dryness and this might be the thing that actually allows us to stay in Vegas long term. We run it at 40% and it maintains 40-45% throughout the house, even in rooms which are in separate AC zones from the unit it’s installed on. 3700sqft single story house and one unit is sufficient. Sahara Air came out and installed it in a single day and we paid about $3500 for everything. Seriously some of the best money we’ve ever spent on our house.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:04 AM

228 posts, read 197,043 times
I have been here for 3 years, moved from Texas. I have two humidifiers, one for summer (cool mist) and one for winter (warm mist). I bought both at Walmart, both are made by Vicks, under 50. They do help a lot. Easy to clean and I would keep them clean.
The first year here I sounded like someone with TB, as I hacked non-stop. I also use the sauna at the clubhouse and found that to help a lot, although I have not used it since covid.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:16 AM

494 posts, read 286,056 times
I lived in the CA desert and used a Vicks cool mist humidifier (from Target) and never got any bugs, etc. in the house.
It helped with dry nose and sinus issues.

Coming from the Florida humidity to the Las Vegas dryness is difficult since both are in the extreme humid/dry ranges.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:21 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
I lived in Southwest Florida for five years and had an HVAC system that removed moisture from the air inside the house. Had to clean it frequently to keep slime from building up in it. Moved to Henderson three years ago and love the dry air, I don't feel the need to add moisture to the air in my house.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
I assume this taps into your water supply?? What's the maintenance on something like this given our water is so hard? Does it have filters or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
We installed an Aprilaire whole home humidifier this January when we couldn’t take the winter dryness anymore (indoor humidity was averaging less than 15% in the morning once the furnace ran to heat things up). We both have dust allergies and get a lot of sinus dryness and this might be the thing that actually allows us to stay in Vegas long term. We run it at 40% and it maintains 40-45% throughout the house, even in rooms which are in separate AC zones from the unit it’s installed on. 3700sqft single story house and one unit is sufficient. Sahara Air came out and installed it in a single day and we paid about $3500 for everything. Seriously some of the best money we’ve ever spent on our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas