Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:01 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times

Advertisements

I have to laugh out loud when a neighborhood where the median home price is just over $300k is considered upscale. That wouldn't buy you a 1br condo in a bad neighborhood here. The average Summerlin resident would be a renter for life if they had to live in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 01:13 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
I do not understand how people can afford to live in such expensive areas. A friend of mine bought a house for 450,000 in Hollywood. No lie, it looks like a shack you'd find in the middle of the woods in West Virginia. My living room is larger than his entire house. I would take my house, and area, over his house and area any day of the week and my house sold for 150k.

A million dollars in California would buy you a house like my Mother's, which is near the ocean, but in Florida. She paid 100,000 for it. Full acre of land, 9 orange trees. A pretty nice place. Why spend 10 times as much?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times
Having lived in Summerlin for more than 6 months now, I actually prefer the congested Henderson south of 215. There is more of an urban vibe.

I like see more runners/bicyclists on the streets. My running club has most of it's members in Henderson.

The trails in Summerlin are beautiful and not a lot of residents use it. Such a shame.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times
This depends on the lifestyle you want.

Proximity to things is huge factor.

I actually like my house to be in solitude (no neighbors within 30 yards) but I like commercial/urban development.

SO I found a nice place hopefully I will be moving to in June!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I do not understand how people can afford to live in such expensive areas. A friend of mine bought a house for 450,000 in Hollywood. No lie, it looks like a shack you'd find in the middle of the woods in West Virginia. My living room is larger than his entire house. I would take my house, and area, over his house and area any day of the week and my house sold for 150k.

A million dollars in California would buy you a house like my Mother's, which is near the ocean, but in Florida. She paid 100,000 for it. Full acre of land, 9 orange trees. A pretty nice place. Why spend 10 times as much?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I, to an extent, agree with EA. Some people who live in Summerlin with whom I've interacted tend to project an air of exclusivity, when in reality, there is nothing exclusive about it. It's simply a nice neighborhood like any of the dozens of neighborhoods around the valley.

There are exclusive pockets around the valley where the uber-rich live, but Summerlin's not one. It's middle-class to upper-middle-class, yet the "stereotypical Summerlinite" is snooty about it, like only the wealthy live there.
Actually the large difference between the median and the average price in Summerlin indicates that there is an expensive component in the mix. And there is.

The high end tracts in Summerlin exceed anything else in the Valley. There are also other tracts elsewhere that are high end but nothing that exceeds high end Summerlin. Examples would be TPC or some of the tracts in the Ridges. Adelsons' home would be a primary example. 50,000 SF? 50 million maybe?

Old 01-31-2015, 03:12 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I live in a 750 sqft apartment in Manhattan that I bought almost twenty years ago. It's now worth pretty much 3x what I paid for it. The average price around here is now getting north of $1 millon. Market rate rentals are something like $3,000 for a one bedroom.

This one of the reasons I keep thinking about moving out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post

Old 02-01-2015, 02:54 AM

176 posts, read 264,465 times
Quote:
I, to an extent, agree with EA. Some people who live in Summerlin with whom I've interacted tend to project an air of exclusivity, when in reality, there is nothing exclusive about it. It's simply a nice neighborhood like any of the dozens of neighborhoods around the valley.

There are exclusive pockets around the valley where the uber-rich live, but Summerlin's not one. It's middle-class to upper-middle-class, yet the "stereotypical Summerlinite" is snooty about it, like only the wealthy live there.
The uber rich don't live in Summerlin? It has the highest end market in the entire Las Vegas Valley. What pockets in the valley are you saying is higher than The Ridges? The Ridges has the highest concentration of $5+ million dollar houses in the entire Las Vegas Valley, even more so than MacDonald Highlands.

Here are some income statistics. For 2009-2013, household income..

In 89138 is $104,361 median and $125,546 mean. link
In 89135 is $91,579 median and $135,409 mean. link

These two zip codes (89138 and 89135) have the highest income figures of any zip codes in the Las Vegas Valley. It's also the two zip codes with the highest median property values. Here's figures for the two highest household incomes in Henderson for comparison.

In 89052 is $75,555 median and $102,775 mean. link
In 89044 is $72,573 median and $86,267 mean. link

So what does this tell us? Does it mean that everyone in Summerlin is rich? No of course not. But it does mean that Summerlin has the highest concentration of the rich than any other part of the Las Vegas Valley.

Last edited by FrostyToasty; 02-01-2015 at 03:10 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:

You are NOT going to like hanging out at the bars inside Red Rock Resort, pretentious. Sad considering I love the resort but you can just ignore those people and still enjoy Red Rock Resort.

There are many affluent residents in Spring Valley and many of them reside in the "rural" custom built homes/mansions around town but the community is not pretentious at all. For those wishing to reside in those guard gated mansions, Spring Valley has an abundance of those too. Same goes for other parts of Clark County.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:57 PM

156 posts, read 403,814 times
I grew up in Las Vegas, but now I wouldn't consider living anywhere but Henderson. IMHO it is the best run city in the state with the lowest taxes in the valley. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, the traffic is much better.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Taxes are higher in Henderson than in Clark County which is also the biggest municipality in the State. I would also opine that Eastern traffic in Henderson is about the worst area in Las Vegas other than the strip.

It is a very nice place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas