Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times

Advertisements

She sounds crazy and open to suggestion, so I would still implant the idea that coyotes are eating them. She'll overreact and keep them inside.

Last edited by logline; 02-06-2015 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 10:12 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Much of Rancho Palos Verdes is more densely populated than PVE, I don't recall seeing peacocks there. Lunada Bay is along the coast near the High School.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:39 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
I used to see cats in our backyard every so often but our little black dog would run them off. She hates cats. I haven't seen any for awhile so I think the cats have been eradicated. I would say get a dog but you shouldn't have to do that because of someone else's pets.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:23 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,695 times
You could tell her that you have recently spotted a nest of young rattlesnakes in your back yard and that it would be best for her cats if they didn't go in your back yard b/c they will most likely get bitten by rattlesnakes. This will make her think that you really care about the cats, yet you are going about keeping them out of your back yard. Also you could go with the live trap route. This company Tomahawk Live Trap called Tomahawk makes really good live traps. I used them when I lived in Kentucky and on top of catching lots of Raccoons and possums I would also catch a lot of cats. Dried cat food is cheap bait but you could also use a can of the cheap salmon for a $1 or so. The smell of the salmon is better at drawing them in.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:31 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Trap them.

Forget about talking to this lady. She knows already knows she is in the wrong just by asking you to hide them from animal control.

She will have to pay fees to get them out and they must be spayed/neutered/vaccinated to get them back.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
What would you do in this situation?

My neighbor has ten cats. I know, because we talk every now and again. She lets her cats roam during the day and consequently my yard has become a giant cat box. I'm on 1/2 acre, a lot of the yard is rock, but some is plain dirt. The cats will defecate in any plain dirt area. I literally have a 15x15 section of yard with probably five hundred plus pieces of cat feces.

The straw that broke the camel's back is recently a cat (I don't know for certain it was my neighbors) got into my RV through the power cord door (which I had mistakenly left open) and defecated, urinated, and vomited all over the RV.

I've never brought up the cats with my neighbor. I know she won't respond well. A few years back we had an issue where someone else on the street called animal control on her, they came and told her she needed to re-home some of her cats. She asked me if I could temporarily take a few of her cats so she could "pass" the inspection when animal control returns. I of course declined. I don't know what ultimately happened, but she doesn't have any fewer cats. She was really upset at that time that someone called animal control. She feels it is her right to have however many cats and let them roam.

I don't really care if she has 100 cats, but letting them roam is the issue.

I figure I can either:

1) Talk to her, which won't go well. I don't really want to become enemies with my neighbor. She is home all day (doesn't work) and could probably figure out ways to make my life difficult.

2) Call animal control, anonymously? See if they can do something. I doubt much will happen.

3) Humanely trap any cats that end up in my backyard and take them to animal control.

What would you do?
Talk to her in a nice polite way. Do not call animal control as they will round up the cats and kill them. Have some heart and find a solution. There are some gadgets out there that will limit the cats from coming on your property. I think they work by sound.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:28 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Call the city of Las Vegas, since there is a limit of how many pets are allowed per home. Also call Animal Control every single day if you have to. They only have 1-2 people handling the entire valley, so it might take a little while for them to do something. The more complaints the better is repellent to cats and put it around the perimeter of your yard. Good luck.
Call animal control but don't hurt the cats? That is contradictory. Animal control will take all but three and kill them.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:42 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I had a problem stray one time. I caught it and released it in the middle of nowhere, near the woods with some houses.
This was about 20 miles from my house. That little son of a blee blob found it's way back within 2 weeks.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:50 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Talk to your neighbor, obviously!
I know what I'd do if you tried to trap my cats.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:07 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Talk to your neighbor, obviously!
I know what I'd do if you tried to trap my cats.
keep them in your house where they belong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas