Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
I was giving opinions of my experiences so far. I'm more than fine with debating what I have said but just general attacks and "you should move" comments are not needed. This forum has to do with relocation, I'm simply giving my opinion and what I have experienced in the 6 months I have been here in hopes of helping other people thinking of moving here. Sorry but some of you locals need to chill a little and allow for other perspectives.
Quick question:

What was wrong with the other cities that you lived in before moving to LV?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:40 PM

635 posts, read 746,059 times
I move due to job relocation...not because something is "wrong" with the cities I lived in. Again I think people are assuming I move around because of dislike of my location, that is completely false.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I move due to job relocation...not because something is "wrong" with the cities I lived in. Again I think people are assuming I move around because of dislike of my location, that is completely false.
Was it by choice?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
We've been here since the end of October on a permanent basis so I guess I am in the same time range as the OP, more or less.

I see some of the same things he(?) sees, but from a different perspective. Drivers here are nuts. A lot of them are plain stupid. Where we moved from we saw the same. The only real difference is quantity, which is to be expected when the city size goes from 500k to 2 million. So driver observations rates a "meh".

We're not having any problem at all finding entertainment or great food off strip. Another "meh".

Schools are not something we have ever been involved with so it's hard for me to judge. I will say that where we moved from had some of the best in the country. Here, I just don't know.

Not a city? Feels like one to me. Granted there isn't what most will call a "downtown", but we moved from the suburbs and I avoided downtown like the plague. So this feels like a city to me.

License fees. A wash. Probably no more than $50 difference and I can't remember which was actually higher. And we had a state income tax as well.

Overall cost of living. It really depends on where you move from. Our COL went up 10% (or a little more. We are still comparing). We came from Des Moines, Iowa and I will flat out tell anyone that wonders; It is a wonderful place to live and a great place to raise a family. As long as you don't mind freezin' your butt off in winter and high humidity in summer. Spring and fall are absolutely glorious there. Some tornado dodging on occasion. My health problems brought us here more than anything else.

Insurance is also a wash. Our long-term company gave us the same coverage (with the addition for mold) on a more expensive house for approximately the same money. Not too tacky.

Food. Higher across the board. The majority of the 10% increase in COL comes with the purchase of food.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Yep because Allstate has verified factual statistic. What place are we in for pedestrian -vs- vehicle accidents? What place are we in for the amount of drunk drivers? What place are we in for road rage? You take a couple "statistics" and believe that proves your point when it does not...but since you live Allstate let me throw a couple of their "facts" out;

Drivers in Las Vegas are 15 percent more likely to be in an automobile accident than the national average, making it one of the least safe driving cities in the country, according to Allstate.

By the way when you compare cities and traffic accidents you have to take a lot more in to consideration than the black and white stats. On Allstate they have Rochester, NY listed just below Las Vegas on their list...have you been to Rochester, NY? I have and I can tell you there streets are not nearly in as good condition as Las Vegas. They also have more narrow roads and much worse weather conditions than Las Vegas...comparing apples to oranges.
Allstate has the required data base and the capability of analyzing it. That is how they set rates. LV drivers are 138th out of 200 cities. Henderson is 96th out of 200 cities. Neither are anywhere near the bottom of the bad driver list.

The two statistics pretty much cover it all. Accident rate and fatality rate.

Rochester NY has an adequate automobile system. They needed to fix the can of worms but if that got done they would be in pretty good shape. They are quite good at maintaining roads in bad weather conditions . They are also much smaller than LV and less crowded.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:27 PM

lvoc you might want to fix that 1348th up there. You know grief will arrive if you don't.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:56 PM

561 posts, read 681,221 times
Quote:
Your comments to my "Vegas is not a city" comment are much debatable; You said most cities would kill to have something like Red Rock bordering it...uh, maybe you need to live in other cities. There are far better natural parks in many more cities that are much better than Red Rock. Actually I can think of many States that can beat Nevada on outdoor activities. Most of the Southern part of the US (States like CA, TX, FL and so on) have parks that can be used almost year round...We have about three months out of the summer that they can be used but not an enjoyable experience.
Redrock IS usable year round, or did you miss the utter lack of snowdrifts blocking the paths? Even if you spent every weekend since you arrived hiking out there, you would only begin to scratch the surface of what is there. If you don't care for Redrock, try the Desert National Wildlife Range. Head to the top of Gass Peak, and try not to disturb the bighorn sheep.

In the summer, sure, it get hot. So pick trails that lead you into canyons, to springs, or into shade. Redrock's got'em all. When it comes to the outdoors, there is no such thing as bad weather. Just bad preparation.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM

Contrary to the OPs comments about just wanting to inform others about life here I think that's not the intended message at all. Too much misinformation being bandied about.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,886 times
So I'm reading these comments and I come from like Chicago and I noticed you guys said low pay? Help me understand the dynamics of las vegas I moved here on the strength of my family and I get down here now their opinions have changed so I'm just here make the best out of this so I am hoping that this forum will help me out ii need to know ins and out best places to rent even if you could provide me with private landlords or resources for them I heard the schools suck but I have to put my child in schools so I can't worry about it so can anyone help me find weekly good rentals or private landlords I don't have job yet don't know where to begin but hopefully someone here understand my situation and give valuable advice as to my current situation

Old 02-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanekqua View Post
So I'm reading these comments and I come from like Chicago and I noticed you guys said low pay? Help me understand the dynamics of las vegas I moved here on the strength of my family and I get down here now their opinions have changed so I'm just here make the best out of this so I am hoping that this forum will help me out ii need to know ins and out best places to rent even if you could provide me with private landlords or resources for them I heard the schools suck but I have to put my child in schools so I can't worry about it so can anyone help me find weekly good rentals or private landlords I don't have job yet don't know where to begin but hopefully someone here understand my situation and give valuable advice as to my current situation
Make a separate thread to get specific help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas