Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:28 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
I heard about the "Summerlin gang" years ago. Are they still around?
That "Summerlin" gang is for sure alive and well...they go by the code name "Snow Bird"...weapon of choice is usually a cane or sometimes walker. Often disguised with "bluish" tint to their hair...drug of choice is stool softener...often seen flashing gang (AARP) signs. I heard they even have a secret handshake...easy to identify...just look for the AARP bumper sticker....beware 😳
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:16 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
I heard about the "Summerlin gang" years ago. Are they still around?
Back in 2009 I inquired about gangs in Las Vegas with some metro officers. They all laughed and replied that local gang members are transient just like the rest of the population. They also told me that there was no gang loyalty in Vegas. Not like in L.A. or Chicago. Vegas is also one of the only places where rival gangs will join forces to increase membership or out of boredom. (The kind of stuff that can get you killed in other cities).

I always researched local gang culture of every place I have been stationed before moving there. Just about every Vegas gang has been disbanded then regrouped again under a different name. There are a few that pop up here and there but they will jump ship, go to jail, get ran off or simply not be able to handle gang banging in the heat, then leave.

If you pay attention to any of the old graffiti tags around town, you will see old gang names that are no more.

Donna street gang
311 gang
702 gang
702 Crips
So4 Summerlin
West side gang
Boulder squad
Fremont gang

We supposedly have around 600 gangs in LV. Definitely sounds like "gang loyalty" and some very tiny gangs out there.

Street Gangs Growing, Evolving in Las Vegas - 8 News NOW

Old 02-21-2015, 09:19 AM

Just check out our most affluent gang.

311 Boyz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They probably all moved on and went to college by now.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:48 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,088 times
Can't give you a rep + so, thanks Von

Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Just check out our most affluent gang.

311 Boyz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They probably all moved on and went to college by now.
311 boyz were not Summerlin. Lone Mountain area. And they were not much of a gang. Metro likes to define any group of three or more teenage males who hang together as a gang. In the 311boyz case I believe the judge specifically said they were not a gang. RJ has an archived sequence on them. I would be inclined to dismiss this as mostly an RJ production.

The Alta Buffalo area of the shooting is also not in Summerlin...in fact not even really close.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Will be interesting to see what comes out in the trial.

We do know for a fact that the Meyer's were lying their rear ends off. What are they hiding? I don't think they are telling the truth even at this time. Everything they have said is subject to extreme criticism.

Metro is likely getting to the bottom of this and I bet they do a pretty good job.

We may never know what really happened. I don't really think it was a bad drug deal, but who knows. I think from the sounds of it, the Meyers might have been after this Erich kid to begin with.

Perhaps he messed with the daughter?

Probably going to have a hard time convicting this kid once all the facts come to bear before a Jury. Sounds like he was in reasonable fear of his life.

I guess to answer the OP's question.

No you do not need to start carrying a gun in your car.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Metro likes to define any group of three or more teenage males who hang together as a gang.
I agree.

"Hey bro, we've been hanging together for a couple of weeks now. Want to make this official?"
"Sure bro. What should we call ourselves?"
"What street is this?"
"Spring Mountain I think."
"Ok then, Spring Mountain gang it is."

Old 02-21-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Can't give you a rep + so, thanks Von
NP

More info if interested.

'311 Boyz' Shock Las Vegas - CBS News

Old 02-21-2015, 03:09 PM

391 posts, read 1,029,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Probably going to have a hard time convicting this kid once all the facts come to bear before a Jury. Sounds like he was in reasonable fear of his life.
Umm. No. He is done for, we are just waiting for the formalities (a grand jury indictment and trial).

Old 02-21-2015, 04:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post

No. Once he started following THEM into the cul de sac, (if that's what happened) he became the aggressor, and self-defense no longer applies. If he thought they had a gun when they were both driving down the road earlier, that's one thing. But he had the opportunity to get out of the situation after that, and did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Umm. No. He is done for, we are just waiting for the formalities (a grand jury indictment and trial).
Agreed. If what's coming out now is what happened and what's presented at trial, self-defense is not going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: