Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,686 times

Advertisements

We have a house sitter, living there since March last year, rent free. There is a house sitting agreement that has been extended, BUT specifies a date wwhen the house need to be vacated. Lat encounter was that they have no place to go, supposedly everything is expensive and I might have to initiate eviction. What are the eviction procedures in LV, and am I looking for a legal uphill battle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Do you have a written contract with the house sitter? Does that make the house sitter your employee and not your tenant?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:10 AM

698 posts, read 985,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janlin92 View Post
We have a house sitter, living there since March last year, rent free. There is a house sitting agreement that has been extended, BUT specifies a date wwhen the house need to be vacated. Lat encounter was that they have no place to go, supposedly everything is expensive and I might have to initiate eviction. What are the eviction procedures in LV, and am I looking for a legal uphill battle?
I'm dealing with something similar, someone living rent free for over a year and now I'm being told they don't have the money to move out or afford monthly rent. Really, you had over a year of no rent, utilities, water, trash, cable/Internet etc. and you didn't think to put any money aside for when you needed to move out? Just ranting

Good luck

Old 02-20-2015, 02:00 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Just don't wait too long so it turns into this:

8 On Your Side: Lengthy eviction process finally ends - 8 News NOW

At the end of the story are some helpful ideas and it shows the correct way to evict someone. A lot of back and forth legwork and paperwork.
I keep hearing stories like this. Time to show them some tough love and evict them. Otherwise, they will never leave. They have it good, why would they want to change it?

Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,736,501 times
I have heard of pet sitters but house sitters?? What a terrible idea. I would prefer to keep my house empty and just let the neighbors keep an eye on it.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:42 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Just don't wait too long so it turns into this:

8 On Your Side: Lengthy eviction process finally ends - 8 News NOW

At the end of the story are some helpful ideas and it shows the correct way to evict someone. A lot of back and forth legwork and paperwork.
I keep hearing stories like this. Time to show them some tough love and evict them. Otherwise, they will never leave. They have it good, why would they want to change it?

That is messed up. So many laws seem to favor the criminal.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:14 AM

399 posts, read 693,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
That is messed up. So many laws seem to favor the criminal.
Our lawmakers need to change the law to protect homeowners and not the freeloaders or trespassers instead of wasting time debating if square dancing should be our official state dance.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:12 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,214 times
I bet there is a personal relationship between you and your house sitter, otherwise why would you let someone stay in your house for free just so he/she can watch your house ? Couldn't you rent it to anyone?
Never mix up personal relationship with business issues.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:57 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janlin92 View Post
Probably, yes. Unless they are highly resourceful squatters, turning off utilities could prove to be quite the motivator.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:40 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I would check what the local law says about doing that first. NV is much more landlord friendly than NY, but here doing that could get you arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Probably, yes. Unless they are highly resourceful squatters, turning off utilities could prove to be quite the motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas