Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times

Advertisements

Let's put it this way - bike friendly? Well, we're in transition. It's getting there slowly. What are bikers called here? Road Kill. For some reason, the type of person that Las Vegas, attracts mostly from the east, are not the kind who like to exercise. And to me, they've always seemed to hate anyone who does, so they seem to aim their cars at you. There are several other factors why, but bike riding on city streets is dangerous - probably everywhere. But we see more and more bike riders all the time here, so it will eventually get better for you. Just make sure you are really, really visible to drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:27 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Las Vegas can become bicycle friendly. Look what NYC has done in the last 24 months alone for cycling? If NYC can do it any city in the U.S. can do it.
And to the vast irritation of Los Angeles drivers, they're adding bike lanes all over Los Angeles. All it takes is a bike friendly Mayor to be elected, and they're there!

Unlikely, Carolyn or Oscar Goodman ride bikes to and from their home, to downtown, from Scotch 80's!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
There are a lot of bike trails, that is for sure.
You couldn't pay me to ride my bike on the city streets.

I consider myself an excellent rider, so...

Old 07-24-2015, 10:22 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Didn't want to start a separate thread, so bump.

During my visit to Las Vegas last week I was surprised there are no bike facilities anywhere near the Strip, and no bike share system. Even when it's 110 out, it's a dry heat and you have a headwind unlike walking, it's not too bad especially during regular commuting hours (e.g., not peak midday sun) and over the distances between Strip hotels, even from mid Strip to downtown if you're in shape. Plus it's flat in town. Of course, you would want to prohibit bikes on the strip walkways, but between LV boulevard (4 lanes each direction, wide median, and 3 left turn lanes--HOLY CRAP!!!) and the back roads, there is plenty of space for a network of protected bike lanes and paths and bike share stations. Anything to do with the taxi unions perhaps?

I literally didn't see a single recreational cyclist in town, just a few brave souls riding in the gutter, probably to a construction job or low wage restaurant job or one of those "girls to your room" guys. On the way to Hoover Dam though you definitely see some recreational cyclists out especially in the evening.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 PM

210 posts, read 250,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I agree with the other posters... I would say it is bike-friendly but it isn't bike ideal.
There are certain things that can't be controlled which could make a biking experience scary.
dont get in the way of a taxi on your bike and youll be fine.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:23 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post

During my visit to Las Vegas last week I was surprised there are no bike facilities anywhere near the Strip, and no bike share system. Even when it's 110 out, it's a dry heat and you have a headwind unlike walking, it's not too bad especially during regular commuting hours (e.g., not peak midday sun) and over the distances between Strip hotels, even from mid Strip to downtown if you're in shape. Plus it's flat in town. Of course, you would want to prohibit bikes on the strip walkways, but between LV boulevard (4 lanes each direction, wide median, and 3 left turn lanes--HOLY CRAP!!!) and the back roads, there is plenty of space for a network of protected bike lanes and paths and bike share stations. Anything to do with the taxi unions perhaps?

I literally didn't see a single recreational cyclist in town, just a few brave souls riding in the gutter, probably to a construction job or low wage restaurant job or one of those "girls to your room" guys. On the way to Hoover Dam though you definitely see some recreational cyclists out especially in the evening.
I hadn't really thought about it before.

The last time I was on the Strip everyone was waiting at a green light and I was wondering what was going on. So I went around them and started to go through the intersection and then I saw it. There was an obvious drunk driver attempting a U-turn. When I got near them they almost ran into us several times severing all over the road. They ended up rear ending the people in front of them and had to get out of the car.

So drunk drivers and drunk bicyclists on the Strip... I don't know. It might also affect the allure and glamour of the Strip.

However, I could see the bicyclists improvements in the more residential downtown Freemont Street sector as they increase foot traffic with downtown living.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
There is actually a nice bicycle facility downtown near Bonneville. It's an RTC facility, you can rent a bike, you can store your bike, you can take the bus (with your bike) to the facility and they even have showers, there is also a bike shop inside the facility.

It's just not very popular.

Bicycles on the strip itself might be a bit scary. There are plenty of alternate roads though. Plenty of recreational cyclists off the strip. I ride all the time and see plenty of other people on the roads and trails. It's not Portland, but they are there.

Quote:

Old 07-25-2015, 12:09 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
While most of metro Vegas with it's wide arterial streets and full shoulders, is probably pretty good for biking, the worst part of Vegas to bike would be The Strip. Heavy traffic, no shoulders (IIRC) usually some disruptive construction going on, lots of tourists who don't know where they're going. Throwing a horde of tourists on rented bikes into the middle of this would be a recipe for disaster.

Quote:

Old 07-26-2015, 01:21 AM

949 posts, read 788,530 times
At least here on West Sahara, most bike riders use the sidewalk instead of the bike/bus lane. I see about three times more bike riders riding the sidewalks than those on the street.

One of my co-workers was killed riding his bike to work in LA. I would never ride a bike on an urban street/highway, especially here where the speed limit is often 40 or 45mph on the street.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:10 AM

128 posts, read 139,053 times
Henderson yes, Las vegas hell no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas