Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:21 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times

Advertisements

Did ya know that the Great Basin is not only a geographical feature in North America but the LARGEST desert in the US? Not many people in the american SW are aware of this and certainly every Nevadan should.
Although its in high elevation, it receives very little rain which qualifies it as a desert. The GREAT Basin Desert is located just north of the Las Vegas metro area which is of course in its own at the outer limits of the Mojave desert.

Take a drive and explore it's such a beautiful area.

Details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Basin_Desert
http://www.desertusa.com/great-basin-desert.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Did ya know that the Great Basin is not only a geographical feature in North America but the LARGEST desert in the US? Not many people in the american SW are aware of this and certainly every Nevadan should.
Although its in high elevation, it receives very little rain which qualifies it as a desert. The GREAT Basin Desert is located just north of the Las Vegas metro area which is of course in its own at the outer limits of the Mojave desert.

Take a drive and explore it's such a beautiful area.

Details:
Great Basin Desert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great Basin Desert - DesertUSA
+1 WWD. But, better yet, go up to see the Great Basin Nat'l Park and climb 13,000+ feet Wheeler Peak. I recommend summer. While there be sure to tour Lehman Caves. Lehman Caves Tours - Great Basin National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited by Buzz123; 03-01-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 11:41 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
WWD, I wonder how many people who have invaded Nevada know that we are surrounded by four deserts. Well, actually, the Chihuahuan Desert is on the other side of Arizona in New Mexico, but it is different too... and more beautiful in lots of ways IMHO. Probably because it is high desert so gets more moisture.

North American Deserts - DesertUSA

Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
I've always wanted to explore parts of that gorgeous area. So much to see and take in.

-Cheers.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Another thread bookmarked!!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Las Vegas is located in the Mojave Desert, a very very dry desert compared to Phoenix which is located in the Sonoran Desert, a tropical desert.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
+1 WWD. But, better yet, go up to see the Great Basin Nat'l Park and climb 13,000+ feet Wheeler Peak. I recommend summer. While there be sure to tour Lehman Caves. Lehman Caves Tours - Great Basin National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Yes, for sure. Already done the peak and gotta go back! Stayed overnight at Ely. Typically there's only a small time frame to do the hike in good weather and that is when the snow melts and before the monsoon season so from maybe May to June. Otherwise, you can can get heavily rained on but that of course depends on the rainy season and if its an active one or not. Early fall is also another option.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:28 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
Trying to explain the word Desert to many folks in this country is hard to do because they have the Hollywood images of that like the Sahara and we have sand dunes and no growth etc. I love it when in LV they say their is bodies buried out in the desert from the mob days try digging a grave in our desert you need a back hoe and dynamite to go 6 ft down but it is a nature lovers paradise and that is another plus thing for Las Vegas to have which can not be taken away.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I post a lot of photos I've taken in and around Vegas on my facebook. It's amazing how many people don't understand how diverse a desert can be.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I post a lot of photos I've taken in and around Vegas on my facebook. It's amazing how many people don't understand how diverse a desert can be.
Have you checked out the hidden First Creek waterfall?

I bet many locals don't even know it exists! I always go after a good rain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas